1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Causing Men to Lust

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by freeatlast, Feb 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    what ?
    whadahdo ?

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There might be a reason he lives in ole Virginnie :smilewinkgrin::laugh:

3. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Bro Tim,

You mean you don't know the unwritten rule on BB?? When all else fails, blame the PB's!! Shame on you !!

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    your a lobbyist for the tobacco industry....admit it!

5. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Well, Bro EWF, you know there is a brand of cigs called "Virginia Slims" don't you?? LOL

6. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

He used to live in Buffalo but it's too hard to smoke a buffalo. Impossible to find rolling papers THAT BIG!!

7. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

#107 Scarlett O., Feb 8, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Blame Peanut Butter.....Thats kinda harsh init? :tear:

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Good golly people! I listened to the first few minutes of this message and was horrified. I would have very quickly gotten up out of my seat and walked out of the service. Just so you know, I wore a long skirt to church this week that went below mid calf, had on boots that went to my knees and wore a turtleneck sweater that showed...nothing. So I was only showing my chin up and my hands. Yet I would have walked out of that sermon within the first minutes.

As I just read through this thread, I opened a bunch of tabs of posts to quote and respond to but it's too much so I'm just going to give my thoughts:

* Yes, women need to be aware of what they wear and what affect it has on men. An excellent book for women on this is "For Women Only". It explains how men think about women and such and it's an excellent read. We DO need to be cautious at all times to be sure that we are covered decently and that we do not show more than we need to. Now understand that I wear shorts, sleeveless tops and v-neck tops - sometimes all at the same time! Some might not consider that modest but I am not afraid to stand in front of anyone in them and wonder if I'm not covered enough. *I* don't want to show off too much and what I wear, I do not feel is immodest. My husband agrees that it is modest and I have wonderful women around me who would gently say something to me if it were not modest.

* We need to be sure that women are teaching women and men are teaching men when it comes to sexuality. In our church, that is done. Our pastor has had specific men's breakfasts and men's retreats addressing lust and the pastor's wives and other leaders have had specific meetings addressing the women and our part in leading men to be in a place where they can sin. But to address this from the pulpit in the form that this pastor did is sinful, IMO. It is not Biblical (show me where any man in Scripture taught women how to dress) and it was done to mortify women who don't even dress this way! To use the terms he used - the graphic language - that was so wrong.

* To be offended by this message does not mean that we felt he was addressing us. I also get offended by abortion but have never had one. I get offended by bad language but I do not use it. I get offended when someone uses the Lord's name in vain but I never do it myself. Just because we get offended by something doesn't mean we feel that issue is addressed at us. Instead, we get offended when someone uses the pulpit to push his own agenda and say it's from God.

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Oh - I remembered one more thing. We need to be careful that we do not project on our congregation the sins of the world around us. We need to caution them to be watchful but we do not need to castigate women in the congregation for what women in the world wear. That is a poor excuse for a message.

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

12. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

Thank you, I shall. Does he preach anymore at all? If he doesn't get behind the pulpit anymore then my writing to him is moot. If he does, I would like to drop him a polite line since he did ask for comments.

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gee Ann, & I loved it! Believe me it took allot for ole Al to muster up the guts to do that sermon. And boy did we have allot to discuss afterwards. From an entertainment value it was well worth the trip to Montville & this wasnt one of those lame sermons I fall asleep in....I was REAL AWAKE for that one. ROFL :laugh::laugh::laugh:

14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay. I couldn't resist anymore. Had to listen. I found nothing objectionable. I think the hostile reaction is that of an innate feminism indignant that a man had the sand to tell a woman how she should dress.

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'd be awake from walking. I hate messages like this. It's very legalistic and offensive and could be handled in a MUCH more Biblical method that still gets the point across without having to be crude.

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    YES & he actually teaches ministers. LOL. Remember though he is in his 80's so factor that in. He was so popular at one time that that particular denom didnt build churches within 30-40 miles of his because thats where they went & they would drive those distances. I just went a few times to observe. We settled on a church much closer but not Reformed Baptist because of that void. That is what I would have disagreed about!

17. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Gentlemen, what I am about to say may shock some of you.

Women can lust.

Where are the sermons, the books, the rantings, the "its about time somebody said something" comments teaching men to dress and comport themselves modestly?

Ladies--why don't we speak up and tell them when they cause us to lust?

Is it perhaps because we accept responsibility for our own actions?

Ok gents--if we do that, maybe you should do that.

Now, I am all for BOTH genders dressing modestly.

But honestly, if you have a lust problem, YOU have a lust problem.

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really....I always wondered who the guy who cheated on his wife was cheating with ....now I know! Thanks

19. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, brother, you are wrong on that criticism. It isn't the quasi-feminist in me that got her feathers ruffled - it's the conservative, modest, and prudent side of me that was flabbergasted. The QF in me hasn't offered a response. I don't think she has dog in that fight. :saint:

I have to ask - even though I already know the answer.. Would you be comfortable if a man talked to YOUR wife like that and used the exact words that this pastor did and told the story of the young man who wanted to slip his hand down the back of a woman when she bent over and he saw her panties?

You would be comfortable with a man talking TO your wife like that in your presence?

#119 Scarlett O., Feb 8, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  20. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    How old is this sermon in question?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.