1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

: CBF hears liberal theology, controversial comparison to Holocaust

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Revmitchell, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    MEMPHIS, Tenn. (BP)--Just over 2,000 registered attendees adopted a slightly increased budget, heard criticism of the Southern Baptist Convention and had the option to participate in a workshop questioning a fundamental Christian doctrine at the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship General Assembly June 19-20 in Memphis, Tenn.

Story Here

The CBF received a claim that Falwell sent men to kill someone, women should be pastors, homos*xuals should be accepted, and the Conservative Resurgence is equal to the Holocaust.

In their singing they changed the words "The wrath of God was satisfied," to "The price of sin was satisfied."

Yep. No doubt this was a liberal meeting.

2. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Is this really the direction of the CFB? I can't believe Christian people are promoting these things.

3. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Yes.:BangHead:

4. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I read the BP story on this, and wasn't really surprised at what they're saying.

I have absolutely no use at all for the CBF.

5. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While it's always been in existance, it's now in full bloom-- the itching ears syndrome!!!

Does anyone wonder anymore why the choice of president is so qualitatively challenged this go-round?????????

6. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no doubt that the CBF, on the whole, is less conservative then the fundamentalist SBC, but in the pantheon of religious life they would hardly be liberal, moderate at best.

I'm curious as to why the SBC "news" (use that term very loosely) agency would send someone to report on the CBF!?! I guess all the talk about "let them go to the CBF" at the SBC convention really meant - I wander what they are doing over there and how we can exploite it to feed our self-righteous need to be more "holy" then everyone else.

7. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

I am not fully confident of the Baptist Press report, but will reserve judgment until I talk with a couple of my friends who did attend. I know John Killinger a little bit and know that he is immensely provocative and extraordinarily learned in all that he presents, but while it is possible that he has moved away from earlier thinking, I also know that in the writings of his that I have used there has been ample insight for the spiritual life. As I read the reports of his workshop, it sounds more like he is reporting what is being believed out in the postmodern world than he is advocating those beliefs. Again, more light needs to be shed on this.

There seems to be some evidence that the steam is going out of CBF. That is to be expected as long as its identity remains, "We aren't SBC any more." I had hoped that as a result of last year's joing meetings with ABCUSA the two groups would work toward merger. It might be good for both of them.

8. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

I asked the pastor of my ABC church (at the time) that question over 10 years ago and he didn't think it would happen. That church and my current church, which is CBF affiliated, are both outstanding evangelical churches who reach out with the gospel not an iron fist towards other denominations. There is no way either of these churches could be called liberal. The SBC needs to refocus on soul-winning (and baptizing) rather than trying to discredit other Christian churches.

Don't get me wrong. There are liberal theologians out there who spread a false gospel. This minister from Marble Collegiate Church (Norman Vincent Peale's church) does not ring true. Anyone who claims that Christ is not divine is not a Christian in my view.

#8 JustChristian, Jun 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2008
  9. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Does anyone still believe Baptist Press at face value. The slam job they were doing on the young leaders involved with climate initiative and the rhetoric they used in the stories about te CBF meeting alone should disqualify them as a reliable news source.

Yep...you can only be angry white people for so long...:)

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea. Let's not tell the truth. You are right. The real problem is the type of rhetoric they used not the fact that they said Falwell sent men to kill someone. Really it is more important to focus on any characterizations rather than the substance of the report like homos*xuals should be accepted in our churches. And of course the CBF's characterization of the Conservative Resurgence as equal to the Holocaust should be overlooked and doesn't equal the (so called) slam job and characterization of BP News.

Yea, let's just by pass all that. Because it is indefensible and so is the CBF.

#10 Revmitchell, Jun 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2008