1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Celebrating Christmas is an Insult to Christ

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by procyon, Dec 12, 2005.

1. ituttut

ituttut New Member

My direct family esteems my birthday on its day. My close friends esteem it on the weekend closest to my birthday. In fact, I'm celebrating my birthday this weekend with 35 people at a local restaurant. It's not actually the day of my birth, though.

But don’t your friends know the day you celebrate after your birthday is not your birthday? They know when your birthday is and with your consent they observe your birthday on a day that is not your birth date. I cannot find in scripture where the Holy Spirit gives us the date of Jesus’ birth, and can find no where, where Jesus consents to any one celebrating His birthday, and certainly not on a day that pagan’s demanded the “church” observe His birthday.

I am willing to look at and agree with you that the “world” thinking and observance on this Holy Day is God’s wish, if you can give scripture nailing day the exact date that Jesus was born. If not, then I will not join in the “tradition of man”, for the “tradition of Christmas”, is not in the “tradition of God”. II Thessalonians 2:15, ”Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.” Paul is not one to hold to anything that smacks of “worldly worship” with the world, and there is no record of his speaking, or writing that entertains the thought of making a Holy Day for the birth of Jesus.

Do we know the reason the Christian observes what should be our only memorial, a remembrance of Jesus? It is not because Jesus told His earthly Apostles to only remember Him by the bread and the wine (not his birthday), for that only applied to those to whom He was talking. They were then to pass this knowledge on to the House of Israel, those that will inherit the earth. That was those that would inherit the kingdom, as shown in Matthew 26:27-29, ”And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it;
    28. For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.
    29. But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.”
    This doesn’t apply to me, to you, or anyone else today. While He lived He never invited us today to be at table with Him in the Kingdom.

So why do we Christians observe, and commune with Him with bread and wine, just as He requests we do? It is because He personally revealed to Paul the Christian should also do this as “oft as we will”, because the “cross” is where it (our remembrance and salvation) is at.

If we are to remember anything (Jesus Christ in Heaven doesn’t give instruction other than that one thing “Lord’s Supper”) on our own it should be the day that Jesus shed His blood. The “mother” church got that wrong also, and all her sister churches are now falling into line to go along with the Friday crucifixion which is an impossibility. It had to be on a Wednesday for prophecy to be fulfilled. Jesus fulfilled every prophecy applied to Him. ”Not giving heed to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth,” Titus 1:14.

Amusingly, I have one eccentric aunt who sends me a birthday card every April 11th. That's several months after my birthday. She's done this for years, despite several relatives correcting her. I don't mind, it's the thought that counts. I chuckle, appreciate it, and tell her thank you when I talk to her.

</font>[/QUOTE]
    What else can you do? Seems as if every family I know has one of these people, and (may not be in your case) every one of those people are the wealthiest in the family. It goes with the territory. There are other names for people of this ilk, some such as “rebels, hardheaded, unable to adapt, as well as one that makes their own rules". It’s my way or else, so she is in error in her haughtiness. Those of “pride” do not care for truth, only what they wish to do. This is what the Catholic church did in their “pride” for it was their wish, not the one that was “born”.
    I think that is wonderful for she was alive and did not object. Jesus is dead, and we don’t know if he ever observed a celebration on His birthday. If He did, the date was known, and He agreed to it when he was old enough. He does not ask that we remember in that fashion today, for we can find nothing in His Word requesting that we do so.

Today He is alive in heaven and He revealed personally to Paul His heavenly Apostle that we remember Him in only ONE (1) WAY. HIS WAY. This is my body and this is my blood that I am to remember is what He said. I will obey this One (1) wish that He asks of me, and that is to commune with HIM when I do it. Christian faith, ituttut

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

DO you know most of your friends' birthdays? I certainly do not. I'm not self-centered enough to think that all my friends know the actualy date of my birthday without having to ask or look it up. The fact is that they know what dady my birthday party is. That day is actually more important than my birthday, and the fact that my friends remember me on that day by celebrating is an honor to me.

Scripture neither requires it, nor condemns it, regardless of the day. Hence, no Christian is required to observe it, nor forbidden from observing it.

Esteem as you wish, or refrain from esteeming as you wish. So long as you do not condemn your brother for esteeming a day as he wishes, there's no problem.

We don't know that exact day, either. But I likewise don't condemn a brother who does not esteem that day, and hope that he does not condemn me if I do.

Oh, my aunt isn't like that at all. She's quite thoughtful and friendly. She simply stinks at remembering things like dates, and it doesn't bother me in the slightest that she sends me a card several months late. Most of my relatives don't send me anything, and I frankly don't expect it. It's the tought that counts here, and I appreciate my aunt's thoughtfulness.

Jesus is not on the earth, but he is by no means dead. As a child of God, Jesus is my brother. SInce I comemmorate the birthday of my other siblings, I don't think Jesus has a problem with me comemmorating his birthday. He knows I don't know the day, so I'm reasonably sure he's not offended by the day I've chosen to honor it.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure I will be corrected in Heaven. If I'm not, I'm sure Jesus will thank me for the party.

3. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

Asherah poles and pagan idols have nothing to do with the celebrating of the Lord's birth on Dec 25th or the use of traditional Christmas Decorations.

All you have demonstrated is that pagans use similar objects. Big deal, when determining the meaning and object of worship, context means a lot. Anybody who spent time with me and knew me would be a fool to think that the context of the Christmas celebration indicated pagan worship

Well now that you mention it [​IMG]

Seriously though, if what you were saying is true nobody would be debating you, but what you have claimed about us who do not view the celebration of Christmas as a threat to faith is not true. So, we are left with no option but to rebuke the falsehoods you seek to propogate.

4. ituttut

ituttut New Member

DO you know most of your friends' birthdays? I certainly do not. I'm not self-centered enough to think that all my friends know the actualy date of my birthday without having to ask or look it up. The fact is that they know what dady my birthday party is. That day is actually more important than my birthday, and the fact that my friends remember me on that day by celebrating is an honor to me.

</font>[/QUOTE]
    So are you saying they think your birthday is the day they honor you? If it were I in this situation, I would tell them you have been playing a joke on them all these years.

Scripture neither requires it, nor condemns it, regardless of the day. Hence, no Christian is required to observe it, nor forbidden from observing it.

</font>[/QUOTE]
    But JohnV you miss the point. All the squirming and diversion does not change the fact that you don’t know the date of His birthday. You just said above your friends would have to ask or look up your birthday. Have you asked Jesus or found it in His book? You have taken an earthly churches word for the special day above other days to worship His birth, having faith that church, the Catholic church is the source of all truth and doctrine in the worship of Jesus’ birth and His death.

I personally do not believe the Catholic church is the on going program of God, given authority to add to His Word. We have the Word of God and that Word is contained in His Word, the Bible. What is found in His Word is truth, and what is not found in His Word is from the mind of man.

Of course you are free to observe his birthday any day that you wish. And I am free to observe the holidays as I wish of giving gifts to family and friends, and receiving same. Christmas is a US of A legal holiday, just as is Thanksgiving, which is also a big day with our family and friends.

My point is you believe tradition of man, and that makes it mandatory for you to observe the Holiday as ritual of what the Catholic has ordained to be a Holy Day called Christ’s Mass, and if I am not mistaken is for the dead.

Esteem as you wish, or refrain from esteeming as you wish. So long as you do not condemn your brother for esteeming a day as he wishes, there's no problem.

</font>[/QUOTE]
    I exhort, and not condemn, as I’m sure you are not. However I have proof the day was chosen by idol worships, and is the reason I exhort. Idols are nothing to me, but I avoid such things as they are not profitable to the cause of Christ. I think we are discussing, and not condemning, other than a heathen day that was brought into Christendom .

We don't know that exact day, either. But I likewise don't condemn a brother who does not esteem that day, and hope that he does not condemn me if I do.

</font>[/QUOTE]
    But we do know the day, however His request is to remember Him as oft as we will.

Oh, my aunt isn't like that at all. She's quite thoughtful and friendly. She simply stinks at remembering things like dates, and it doesn't bother me in the slightest that she sends me a card several months late. Most of my relatives don't send me anything, and I frankly don't expect it. It's the tought that counts here, and I appreciate my aunt's thoughtfulness. \
    </font>[/QUOTE]I can’t argue with that. However this is not the same relationship you have with your Lord Jesus Christ.
    Jesus is not on the earth, but he is by no means dead. As a child of God, Jesus is my brother. SInce I comemmorate the birthday of my other siblings, I don't think Jesus has a problem with me comemmorating his birthday. He knows I don't know the day, so I'm reasonably sure he's not offended by the day I've chosen to honor it.

</font>[/QUOTE]The sinful nature of the flesh, that man is dead, but God did not die. ” Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more.
    17. Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new,”
    II Corinthians 5:16-17. I look to the heavens, and not this earth for all things are new, and “Old cloth” is not to be attached to the New.
    See you up there Christian friend. Christian faith, ituttut

[ January 07, 2006, 04:29 AM: Message edited by: ituttut ]

5. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When Elijah preached the truth against Idolatry, was there no objection ?
    Throughout the history, pagan worshippers were so many and they were running thru the wide gate on the broad way.
    I never threaten you, but have pointed out that it is a pagan and heretic!
    I would rebuke your paganism and hypocrisy!

Dig out a hole on the wall of your heart and look into your heart, then you will find yourself is worshipping Asherah and Horus, while your lips are confessing Jesus is Lord.

6. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member