1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Celebration of Discipline by Foster

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by tinytim, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

You may want to check Google Books yourself. I just did. They let you preview up to page 22 and then skip to the back cover.

There is no way to compare pp 22-27, 86 on Google Books with the above quotes.

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure you can. That's where I looked it up. They only allow you to look at a certain number of pages, so you need to essentially go directly to it. I believe your "quoted" section actually begins on page 27.

3. Steadfast Fred

It won't let me preview 27

4. Steadfast Fred

Red flags should go up when one views the beginning of Chapter 2 of the book where Foster quotes Thomas Merton, the Catholic Mystic. (page 15)

I still am unable to get to page 27. I cannot figure how you are able to.

5. Steadfast Fred

One really only need read page 2 of the book to see the 'Spiritual Disciplines' Foster speaks of is nothing more than mysticism. He states that even those who do not know Christ should practice them.

6. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Havensdad...

Andy Stanley? Charles Stanleys son???

If thats who it is this is quite disappointing, considering who his dad is.

7. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Tiny Tim...

I am certain there is a lot of good in the book. My responses shouldnt be viewed as a blanket condemnation of the book.

I just think that discernment is in order here.

In other words, eat the fish...throw away the bones.

8. Fred's Wife

Fred's Wife Member

Andy Stanley is the son of Dr. Charles Stanley:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Stanley

9. Steadfast Fred

On page 27-28, Foster encourages the practice of astral projection (although he claims it is not astral projection)

He tells the reader to imagine leaving his body, looking back at this body and reassuring it that he will be back. Then the reader is told to travel in his imagination to outer space.

Friend, that is mysticism. It is a pagan practice. And Foster tries to justify doing that which God strictly frowns upon.

Earlier in the book, page 13 if I remember correctly, he is teaching another forbidden practice... that of divination.

Has God changed? My Bible tells me divination is not of God, yet here is Foster promoting it.

(information read on http://cicministry.org/commentary/issue112.htm)

#29 Steadfast Fred, Oct 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2010
  10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Sounds like something Shirley McClain would endorse.

These practices are anti biblical and disobedient to God.

11. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I studied this book years ago in a small group. We found it very useful. Of course if a person does not like to think of self discipline they may throw rocks at it. There are many types of self discipline that we Christians should take more seriously.

I am not sure what people mean when they use the word 'new age' in relation to this book. I see nothing new age in learning to place ourselves in God's presence where he can begin to do the work of transformation in us.

Foster lists 12 disciplines for a Christian. This is not an exhaustive list, but it is a good start.

Here is the list:

Inner Disciplines
    The Discipline of Meditation
    The Discipline of Prayer
    The Discipline of Fasting
    The Discipline of Study

Outer Disciplines
    The Discipline of Simplicity
    The Discipline of Solitude
    The Discipline of Submission
    The Discipline of Service

Corporate Disciplines
    The Discipline of Confession
    The Discipline of Worship
    The Discipline of Guidance
    The Discipline of Celebration

What is 'new age' about any of these disciplines?

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I spoke to my husband about this and he has access to the book so I'm going to have him bring it home to me so I can read it myself.

13. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Ya know I think the one I have benefited from the most is that of solitude. Being that I travel extensively and get to serve in a dynamic church I find it hard to be alone in a meaningful way.

Also I have been discovering fasting and the power that comes from intentionally setting yourself aside and focusing on growing closer to God. There has been tremendous blessing for me by practicing this.

Thanks for asking, I really like Foster's book and use it in combination with Don Whitney's book when I teach a seminar on the topic. I don't find anything remotely "new agey" in the book, and frankly anybody who does probably is looking too hard.

It has really help my spiritual development and growth. I am thankful the book and his ministry.:thumbsup:

14. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

For what its worth I'm going to make several observations:

1. Christian mysticism doesn't equal new age.

2. Andy Stanley's book on communication is very, very, very good. I actually give it to any of our members who are leaving to be trained for ministry. It is one of the better texts in the field for communicating today.

3. I think some people need to be less worried about perceptions of the "pagan" and "occult" and more invested in what they can celebrate about Christ in their lives.

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

There is no such thing as Christian mysticism. It is either Christian or mysticism but there cannot be both. It's like saying Christian Satanism.

What is mysticism?

Dictionary.com says:

"a doctrine of an immediate spiritual intuition of truths believed to transcend ordinary understanding, or of a direct, intimate union of the soul with god through contemplation or ecstasy."

From gotquestions:

16. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

I'm speaking about Christian mysticism from the historical perspective.

Besides I would't take the dictionary.com or gotquestions.com definitions over JND Kelly, Bauchman, Grillmeier, etc.

We're talking about two different forms here.

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, I googled "christian mysticism" and other than the gotquestions link, there was not one good Christian site that came up on the first 9 pages (as far as I got). Why is that if it's a good thing?

18. Steadfast Fred

In Foster's book, he encourages the readers to use their imagination. When one researches 'imagination' in the Word of God, one finds that it is always spoken of in a negative light.

Why should one delve into one's imagination?

People are being deceived into bringing mysticism into the Church. God's Word warns against such. We are not to have fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness.

19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

OK - I googled "What is Christian mysticism?". Here are some results:

#1 - "Christ is the sole end of Christian mysticism. Whereas all Christians have Christ, call on Christ, and can (or should) know Christ, the goal for the Christian mystic is to become Christ—to become as fully permeated with God as Christ is, thus becoming like him, fully human, and by the grace of God, also fully divine. In Christian teaching this doctrine is known by various names—theosis, divinization, deification, and transforming union."

http://frimmin.com/faith/mysticismintro.php

#2 - "Christian mysticism is the pursuit of communion with, identity with, or conscious awareness of God through direct experience, intuition, instinct or insight. Christian mysticism centers on the habitual practice of deep prayer (i.e. meditation, contemplation) involving the person of Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit. This approach and lifestyle is distinguished from other forms of Christian practice by its aim of achieving unity with the divine. In the words of Oswald Chambers, "We receive His blessings and know His Word, but do we know Him?"[1]
    Whereas Christian doctrine generally maintains that God dwells in all people and that they can experience God directly through belief in Jesus,[2] Christian mysticism aspires to apprehend spiritual truths inaccessible through intellectual means, typically by learning how to think like Christ. William Inge (also known as Dean Inge) divides this scala perfectionis into three stages: the "purgative" or ascetic stage, the "illuminative" or contemplative stage, and the "unitive" stage, in which God may be beheld "face to face".[3]
    In the tradition of Mystical Theology, Biblical texts are typically interpreted allegorically; for example in Jesus' "Sermon on the Mount" (Matthew 5–7) the text, in its totality, is held to contain the way for direct union with God. Also, in the contemplative and eremitic tradition of the Carmelite "Book of the First Monks", 1 Kgs. 17:3-4 is the central Biblical text around which the work is written."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_mysticism

#3 - The gotquesitons link

#4 - "As Christian mystics, we find truth in our experiences, not dogma. The transformations that so many people only dream about happen every day at the Centers of Light and are possible for everyone. Those who have entered into a one-on-one Teacher/Student relationship at the Center receive the personal counseling and love that is rarely found elsewhere. At the same time, deep mystical Christian teachings lead souls into direct relationship with God, and spiritual communities support each other with integrity, honesty and joy. These are the ingredients for real change and a true life in God.

We each have a calling to a greater purpose, but we cannot realize it unless we know God. Make a real change and come back into union with your Divine Self. At the Centers of Light, we follow in the tradition of leading people within, continuing the work of the Master Jesus and Mother Mary."

http://www.centersoflight.org/

#5 - "As a young man, I had spontaneously become aware of the inner light, sound and flowing of the Holy Spirit. We are all born with natural inclinations of one sort or another and a natural inclination to experience the Holy Spirit has always been mine. My Godfather is a catholic priest and was aware that my inner experiences and perspective on life was, shall I say, a little different than most. When he asked me to be his spiritual director, I wrote him a letter describing a few of my experiences with the prayer of the heart, higher states of consciousness and comfort and guidance of the Holy Spirit. I wanted him to know in advance what he could expect from the Holy Spirit should he choose the path that Christian mystics like St. Teresa of Avilla and St. John of the Cross had walked."

http://www.chrmysticaloutreach.com/

#6 - Was a blog where he was saying good-bye. It seems like he's man who follows Christian mysticism but I couldn't get anything off his front page other than:

"How would Christianity be if God was at the center of your Universe? How would you feel about others, perhaps a Vedantist/Hindu, who also has God (as he or she can feel and know) in the center of his life as all else moves around it in celestial orbit? Would you see a different language of God and a follower of that to be akin to you, a fellow seeker whose journey is to be encouraged and supported, not denigrated and belittled as less than your own “right” way?

Since I was a child, meaning as early on as I can remember, my prayers were straight to God, my sense of Presence that appeared in my later years was felt to be that as opposed to a Jesus or a Buddha or a Krishna. I also, later, found myself awed not by God favoring my team, as it were, (white, United States of America, my particular Church), but, rather, the startling universal compassion which Jesus spoke of constantly and said was right here and right now available to us."

http://christianmystics.com/

Does any of this sound Biblical?

20. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

May I humbly submit that google.com isn't the best place to begin to understand this topic.

Check out an excellent text on the subject like The Essential Writings of Christian Mysticism by McGinn from your local library and use his reference list as a source to begin reading. Maybe McGrath's Christian Spirituality would work for you too.

Then go to CCEL.org and start looking up these people. Google.com is not a good place to begin understanding this, or any, theological perspective. What Joey B Blogger thinks is Christian mysticism and what actually is Christian mysticism are usually two different things.

This is the problem with the internet, the average person has no way of knowing who is and isn't qualified to speak on a subject. Just like this issue here, not all perspectives are equal.