Cell phone - tower updates?

Discussion in 'Computers & Website Forum' started by PJ, Oct 11, 2005.

1. PJ

PJ
    Expand Collapse

I put this question here instead of "all other discussion" because you fellers seem more in tune with such.

A friend was recently telling me there is a star+number to dial from your cell phone to upload new towers in the area. He said the number gives how-to instructions, but couldn't remember the star+number sequence. He said it covers all cell phone service providers.

Are any of you familiar with this? Thanks ...
    PJ

2. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles
    Expand Collapse

I don't think this is correct. Cellular technology homes to the strongest MSO (Mobile Serving Office), which is usually the closest tower to where you are located. These are not stored inside a phone.

3. PJ

PJ
    Expand Collapse

It doesn't sound totally correct to me either, MP, but thought I would check it out ...

PJ

4. sovgrace79

sovgrace79
    Expand Collapse

They may have been referring to *228, which will help you update your PRL (Preferred Roaming List). This may or may not help you to roam on more towers.

As far as I know, this only works with Verizon Wireless. When I had Verizon Wireless, I usually did this every few months, just to keep the PRL current.

Other companies that use SIM cards (Cingular, old AT&T, T-Mobile, and some Nextels) do not do this *228 sequence. The SIM card has a list that contains preferred networks that your phone will lock on to. I'm not sure, but I think SIM enabled phones are capable of the carrier "pushing" updates out to you when they are needed.

5. PJ

PJ
    Expand Collapse

Thank you, sovgrace79 -- I'd say that's what my friend was trying to explain to me. Figured I would check it out, just in case it would benefit the lot of us.

Thanks again ...
    PJ [​IMG]

6. bruren777

bruren777
    Expand Collapse

I have a question regarding "Tracfone" or pay as you go phones, you use a phone card instead of monthly charges.
    We have been thinking of getting one in case we were on the road out in the boonies and had car trouble or a medical emergency.

They seem to be the way to go instead of a monthly fee for an ordinary cell phone for somone who would use it infruequently.

I would like some feedback please.

Thanks,
    Bruce

7. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles
    Expand Collapse

By law, any cell phone, even deactivated ones, must be able to dial 9-1-1. If that is all you want, find an old deactivated phone and charge 'er up!

8. PJ

PJ
    Expand Collapse

Bruce, the Tracfone requires purchasing a card for a specified period of time (a month?). Because minutes ("units") don't roll over, you would be forced to purchase a new card, even if you didn't use all the units you already had.

I believe all of the pay-as-you-go phones are this way ... ?

PJ

9. dclark14

dclark14
    Expand Collapse

I use Tracfone and it is good for those of us who don't use a lot of time on it. It automatically attaches to a system for roaming when I go outside of my local area. It uses Verizon voice mail and that works well. Minutes do roll over when you renew service. For instance; tonight I'll go on the computer and purchase another block of time for $20.00. These minutes will be added to the balance left from my last renewal. Usually it is enough so I won't have to renew for a couple of months. I expect that tonight my account will be good until December 12. They always send me e-mail reminders before I need to renew, and I usually get an automated phone call-- not a bother since it keeps my service from expiring.

10. bruren777

bruren777
    Expand Collapse

Thanks to all for the info. It will help me to make a decision.