1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Censoring Choir Music

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by FR7 Baptist, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I am SBC and it never ceases to amaze me when stuff like this happens.

2. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Along the same line.... I know of one SBC church that puts on plays each year -- usually at Easter and Christmas. (These are outreach events and are very well done.) Often - as part of the play - they would have those in costume performing certain Jewish dances. For years, they would call the dancers "movemateers."

3. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Such emendations must be as old as hymns. "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing" was written by Charles Wesley as "Hark, how the welken (heavens) ring," but George Whitefield (much to the Wesleys' disgust)" changed it to what it is today, inserting the concept of angels singing where it had not been before. (He also changed "glory to the King of Kings" to "glory to the newborn king.")

"Come Ye Sinners Poor and Needy" by Joseph Hart suffered wholesale mutilation, in addition to minor editing (the first line originally was "come ye sinners, poor and wretched"). The entire refrain (that "ten thousand charms" thing) was grafted on a hundred years later and Hart's original choruses removed.

4. glazer1972

glazer1972 Member

I've made such a big deal about this in our praise team that our music minister now has us sing "worm". He does agree with me though. :smilewinkgrin:
    SBC Church btw. They also have no problem with us raising our hands.

#24 glazer1972, May 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2012
  5. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Really?? Wow. We're Presbyterian and we raise hands in our church. In fact, this past Sunday one of the congregational songs was "Holy is Lord" by Chris Tomlin ---

"We stand and lift up our hands
    For the joy of the Lord is our strength
    We bow down and worship Him now
    How great, how awesome is He."

6. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I am not sure what is so non Baptist about raising our hands and dancing.

7. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

We have a few hand-raisers in our congregation, but we don't do dance.

I've seen where some churches do liturgical dance in their services, but I'm old and out of touch and don't get it. In terms of worship, it does nothing for me. And I fail to understand the symbolism.

And maybe it's just me, but I'm not culturally attuned to people standing in the pew with hands raised and shakin'.

Hands raised, yes. Shakin', no.

8. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

That comment brings me back to a beautiful moment that happened barely two weeks ago in a Messianic congregation. While praying the Amidah, everyone stands facing the east with arms up. There is one elderly gentleman that struggles with standing and balance and usually remains seated for everything. I watched him struggle to rise, slowly gain his balance, and finally raise both arms. His right hand was shaking so bad.

Just watching him go through that, the struggle he went through just to rise and lift his hands in prayer...tears started rolling down my face right then and there as I watched him.

I know that's not what you meant by hands shaking, but had to share that. It was a visual lesson I will never get out of my head and will always remember that sweet old man and his faithfulness at that moment.

9. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

That's a precious story, Gina. Thanks for telling it.

No, when I talked about shakin' I was referring to a another part of the body, a bit lower than the hands.

I'm perfectly at home when I see raised hands in a worship service as long as both feet are on the ground.

Incidentally, I had a pastor who said "I don't care how spiritually high you get as long as you're speaking English while you're up there."