1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Center for Church Reform

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Siegfried, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Siegfried

Siegfried Member

Is anyone familiar with it or its Senior Fellow (and founder, I believe), Mark Dever?

He's also a trustee at SBTS.

churchreform.org

2. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Hi, Siegfried!

I don't know anything about Dr. Dever, but if you have Comet Cursor you can put his name in the search field and you will get many, many listings which may be helpful for you.

If you don't have Comet Cursor, go to http://www.cometcursor.com and follow the installation instructions. Once installed, Comet Cursor will show up on your browser screen so that you can use it anytime.

3. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

I know Dever personally. He is a great guy. I disagree somewhat with his philosophy of ministry. He pastors a white collar church in downtown DC, so his ministry is a bit unique. His ideas of church reform are useful, but one must also seek a balance. I have discussed these issues with Dever and he is very gracious with those with whom he disagrees.

4. Siegfried

Siegfried Member

I guess it doesn't surprise me that you and Dever would disagree.

Would you or anyone else mind expressing your differences? I'm interested in finding out more about his philosophy of ministry, but I also want to find out what people perceive to be the weaknesses of his approach.

Thanks.

5. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

Most of my differences with Dever would result from a) context of ministry (few people are pastoring a white collar church in downtown DC); b) methods of evangelism; and c) practical emphasis in ministry and preaching.

Dever's concerns, as identified in his 9 marks of a healthy church, are legitimate ones. For the most part, I agree with him. The danger comes when one attempts to copy Dever's methods and beliefs in a context that is not conducive to such change.

Again I respect Mark Dever. I have spent several hours with him and would call him a friend. While we disagree on some practical aspects of doing ministry, we are standing upon the same foundation.