1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ceramics anyone?

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by SaggyWoman, Sep 3, 2001.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I learned how to do all phases of Ceramics when I worked at the children's home. Are there any who enjoy this hobby?

2. NeilUnreal

NeilUnreal New Member

Hi, I just joined this BBS and saw this topic. I don't do ceramics, but I have recently started sculpting as a hobby. Right now I'm working in waxes, resins and epoxies, but I'm interested the possibility of using a terra cotta to economically make larger pieces.

One question I have for people doing fired ceramics is: where do you find the faith to commit a piece to the kiln? ;)

-Neil

3. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Faith on peices you have made yourself is definitely it. I can fire poured ceramics with ease and startling good sense. And with good success. The glazes I had to get a stilt going, and had to remember to vacuum out the kiln.

But right before I left the children's home, I began firing peices made on the potter's wheel.

Now, that does take wisdom---and faith! I blew up quite a few peices. I still need to learn. .. .

4. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

SAGGY WOMAN!!!! I just saw this thread!!!!
    Ok, I sell ceramics that I paint (love to paint, am doing an oil pic for my kids for Christmas...they saw me start on the canvas and think I'm doing it to sell, hee hee)
    ANYHOW! How good are you at it? Can you make MALE ANGELS? Huh huh huh? I need them! :D
    da Gina

5. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I don't have access to make ceramics any more, since I am out of state from the children's home now.

I used to could make you the angels.

6. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

:(
    Ah well.
    It was worth a try! :D
    da Gina

7. Barnabas H.

Barnabas H. <b>Oldtimer</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gina:
    Can you make MALE ANGELS? Huh huh huh? I need them! :D da Gina<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Male angels? da Gina this should be transferred to the funny forum! [​IMG]

8. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

What is really even funnier is the only way to distinguish male and female angels is by their hair cut. LOLOL

9. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Not the angels I'm seein'. Definitely female. Or on hormone therapy. :eek:
    da Gina

10. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

You might mean the naked cherubs?

11. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

No, fully clothed, regular angels. [​IMG] I'm lookin' at the ones I've got...and my neighbors.
    Not just that, a lot have decidedly feminine features....the waist, the the shape of the face, the hands, the frillier, more gathered clothes and or accessories.
    Ok, I'm very picky. :D You should see me try to pick out a paintbrush, rofl! I went through about 200 of them at the shop the other day and didn't find one I would use...I'm waiting for her next order to come in. :rolleyes: There can be 30 #2's, but if one of them doesn't call my name I won't buy any of them. Salespeople love me....NOT! [​IMG]
    da Gina

12. NeilUnreal

NeilUnreal New Member

For the last 15 or 20 years, my sister and I have maintained a tradition of giving my mother a Christmas ornament in the shape of an angel for her birthday. We always try to find something novel and interesting. I'd say the ratio so far is about 70% female, 20% other (male, cherub, animal, etc.), and 10% indeterminate.

I'm guessing an art history major might know something about this. My vague impression is that in Medieval/Renaissance times, angels were mostly unsexed. By Victorian times, female angels were more prevelant.

-Neil