1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Ceremonial vs Moral Laws

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by vooks, May 19, 2015.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem with your theory is that sin existed before the Law Paul speaks of Gentiles as not being under the Law My objection is not with all being under Gods moral law, but your insistance thdy fall under Torah. Murder, theft, adultery, etc were sins BEFORE and apart from Torah and the 10 Commandments. Gods moral law is, of course, expressed in the 10 Commandments BUT the 10 Commandments are not Gods moral law. We are speaking of Gods commands and His moral law, not Torah.

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Using your definition of what "existed before the Law" -- we have God's "Laws, Commandments and statutes' ALSO existing "before the Law".

[FONT=&quot]LAW BEFORE the SINAI tablets of TEN C.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Gen 26
    5 because [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Abraham obeyed Me and kept My charge, My commandments, My statutes and My laws[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT][FONT=&quot]''

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]God said that He would continue to Bless Abraham's family[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Gen 26
    5 because [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Abraham obeyed Me and kept My charge, My commandments, My statutes and My laws[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT][FONT=&quot]''

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Ex 16[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    23 then he said to them, ""This is what the LORD meant: [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Tomorrow is the Sabbath observance, a holy Sabbath to the LORD[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. Bake what you will bake and boil what you will boil, and all that is left over put aside to be kept until morning.''
    24 So they put it aside until morning, as Moses had ordered, and it did not become foul nor was there any worm in it.
    25 Moses said, ""Eat it today, for today is a Sabbath to the LORD; today you will not find it in the field.
    26 "" Six days you shall gather it, [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]but on the seventh[/FONT][FONT=&quot] day, the Sabbath[/FONT][FONT=&quot],[/FONT][FONT=&quot] there will be none.''
    27 It came about on [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]the seventh day[/FONT][FONT=&quot] that some of the people went out to gather, but they found none.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Gen 4 (NASB)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]4 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Abel, on his part also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of their fat portions. And the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Lord[/FONT][FONT=&quot] had regard for Abel and for his offering;[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]5 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]but for Cain and for his offering He had no regard. So Cain became very angry and his countenance fell.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]6 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Then the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Lord[/FONT][FONT=&quot] said to Cain, “Why are you angry? And why has your countenance fallen?[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]7 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]If you do well, will not your countenance be lifted up? And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door; and its desire is for you, but you must master it.”[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1 John 3:4 "[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Sin IS the transgression of the LAW[/FONT][FONT=&quot]"[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Romans 5:13 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]sin[/FONT][FONT=&quot] is not imputed when [/FONT][FONT=&quot]there is no law[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Moses is writing Gen 26, Moses is writing Deut 27:10 as well[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]10[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Thou shalt therefore obey the voice of the LORD thy God, and do his [/FONT][FONT=&quot]commandments and his statutes[/FONT][FONT=&quot], which I command thee this day[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]And so also Deut 8:11[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Deut 8:11[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]11 "Beware that you do not forget the LORD your God by not keeping[/FONT][FONT=&quot] His commandments and His ordinances and His statutes[/FONT][FONT=&quot] which I am commanding you today; [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. My point was more of semantics…well, a bit more…it is theological as well. But the Ten Commandments did not govern those not under the Law (Torah). They are of course in line with God's law (they couldn't be otherwise as they reflect the nature of God). We are not obligated to obey the Ten Commandments per se, but the Ten Commandments are a part of what we are obligated to obey (God’s law - His laws, commandments and statutes). The difference comes in when someone thinks that they can divide the Law (Torah), or put the Church in the place of Israel under the Law, or confuse Pauline teachings as putting people under the Law to save them. If you want to sum up God's law as the "Ten Commandments" then have at it. It isn't exactly true, but in practice it's the same...maybe that's close enough. More power to ya.

#43 JonC, May 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2015
  4. vooks

vooks Active Member

Am still waiting for a scriptural distinction between Ceremonial and Moral laws

5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

How hard is this to understand according to post #2 of this thread??

let's see...

in Christ,

Bob

6. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    As promised - post #2.