1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Cev?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by annsni, Apr 2, 2013.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Meritless claims. I read it as well and saw no "twisting". To call it alarming is using hyperbole.

2. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've never seen anyone get as upset as Rippon does when someone else has ANYTHING negative to say about the NIV!! Never fails to get his blood boiling. Strange. No other topic gets him as upset. Always makes me wonder why. :confused:

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are those against the revision such as the Bible researcher, and others that hold to a more formal translation process all 'slandering liars?"

The thing is that many of those who have come out against the Niv 2011 still supported as a good translation the 1984 edition...

is it OK to see that the revision might have made a good version worse?

4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    i am a Nasb preferred, also use the Nkjv/kjv/esv/Niv...

Guess that we have KJVo and NIVO represented here now!

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not like lies and those who repeat lies. Are you supportive of falsehood B4L?

One can say negative things about something,but if the "negative" things are completely untrue...give it up. Come clean. Don't you think Christians should be into truth? There are a number of injuctions to tell the truth in Holy Writ.

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have to face this. Don't run away and start one of your endless question threads.

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really unfunny, unoriginal remark. Why don't you simply read my threads where I praise the Modern Language Bible,Norlie,REB,NLT,Lattimore etc.? I think all Christians need to have several translations to compare...some on the more form-oriented side,and some on the functional.

KJVO believe in only the KJV.They don't value other versions the way I do,or rather as most Christians do.

#47 Rippon, Apr 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2013
  8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you deny that MANY credible scholars and groups have decided that the Niv 2011 revision made it worse than the 1984 edition, and we would have been better off having it not done?

Or is it they did say this, but you don't agree with and like their conclusions?

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quit taking side trails. You said some despicable things way back in post 22 and you have yet to support your reckless charges. Not once. Do you believe in telling the truth or not? Don't dodge what I have pointed out. It only proves you are passing on lies and do not want to apologize because of your pride. Take some responsibility for your actions.

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Tniv 2005 had renderings placed within due to the influence of evangelical feminism, which caused the product to have some renderings that many conservtive groups and scholars balked at, so whats to recant of?

That became basically revised again as the niv 2011?

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    False. Boy you revel in untruths. Do you even know of the scholars behind the NIV to which you are attributing such balderdash?

Your lies. And,your hesitancy to own up to them.

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    again, wht lies/ its just a sifference of opinion here, as you will support your position with scholars, I will support mine with scholars, so lets just leave it at difference of opinion!

You do realise many still prefer the 1984 edition over either2005/2011 right?

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No,you told a very bad lie for which you will not confess. You haven't even attempted to buttress your sorry charge. Do you think so lightly of saying false and malacious things?

Address the things I have asked you to address forthrightly. The sonner,the better. Remember you said your junk way back in post 22.

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Meant to say WHAt lies, as I am just expressing amatter of opinion, as i tend to see thatthe scholars who had reservations regarding the shift in the 2005/2011 Niv to reflect the new thought regarding sexist language in the scriptures are right...

Again, the NASB/ESV scholars would tend to see things my way, the Niv yours, so lets just agree to disagree and move on!

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I repeat and repeat what you have said and yet you claim to know nothing. You had said in your post number 22 that the NIV dilutes role distinctions between the sexes. I have repeatedly asked you to furnish at least one example of such but you avoid the obvious with all your energy.

Your charge is a lie and you have yet to substantiate anything. Lying is not a Christian virtue.

#56 Rippon, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2013
  17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Go read the critique here, as he does a much better job than i can in addressing the problems with the revisions of the Niv!

bible-researcher.com

look under 20 Century english versions of the Bible!

he finds fault to some degree with Esv/nasb/Nkjv also, but finds all 3 of them better to use than the current Niv!

have to just accept that many do think the Niv team with the 2005/2011 took some "liberties with the text!"

18. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Neither is a snotty attitude!

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why was having a different opinion considered one to be a liar?

20. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know. I guess with rippon, it's when you post something negative about the NIV. :laugh: