1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Challenge redux - is the KJV doctrinally stronger?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Ransom, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

On another thread, The Harvest made the following assertion:

I have seen this assertion challenged, but have yet to see any evidence put forth in support of it by The Harvest or any other KJV-onlyist.

It's about time he/they did.

2. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

off the top of my head, it's stronger on the trinity, right?

3. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please, like you are going to change your mind about this regardless of the evidence given! :rolleyes:

Move on, you must have something better to do

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When one has no answer, one says "move on". I, like Ransom, am waiting for an answer. When one is given, a clear discussion/debate can proceed.

We hear this polemic all the time, but every honest person realizes it is a sham.

5. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

No, the MVs are much clearer on the deity of Christ.

In John 1:18, the MVs call Christ "God" where the KJV calls him "Son." "God" is a much more explicit term for God than "Son" is.

Titus 2:13 talks of our Great God and savior, Jesus Christ which is more clear than "the great God and our Savior, Jesus Christ."

Rom 9:5, in the NIV, is perhaps the strongest verse on deity of Christ when it says that he is God over all.

This "deity of Christ" myth is just that, a myth. The MVs are at least as clear, if not clearer. They both teach teh same doctrine; it's just a matter of clarity.

6. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've said it before, but it bears repeating here as well given the nature of the challenge and the predicted response to anything offered by one who may believe that the KJV is "stronger" on some important doctrinal issues than the MVs.

Regarding the fact that no one has answered yet, I would say, "Silence is often misinterpreted, but it is never misquoted."

Case in point, it has already been insinuated that those who might hold such views are dishonest.
    I might add, one may be an accomplished polemicist, but that does not make one right.

7. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

aretz: off the top of my head, it's stronger on the trinity, right?

pastor larry: No, the MVs are much clearer on the deity of Christ.

In John 1:18, the MVs call Christ "God" where the KJV calls him "Son." "God" is a much more explicit term for God than "Son" is.

well, arguably "God" here undermines the trinity, as it makes jesus sound like another god entirely, and not just another person of our triune god.

isn't there a verse in 1st john that everyone pretty much spits on these days that explicitly declares the trinity?

Titus 2:13 talks of our Great God and savior, Jesus Christ which is more clear than "the great God and our Savior, Jesus Christ."

again, the kjv reading supports the trinity by being able to be read in two ways, either emphasizing the different persons of the trinity or emphasizing the unity of it. extremely clever! the niv version can make jesus sound like a separate god.

Rom 9:5, in the NIV, is perhaps the strongest verse on deity of Christ when it says that he is God over all.

while this reading supports the divinity of jesus more, the kjv reading better supports the idea that jesus was fully human, another important doctrine.

This "deity of Christ" myth is just that, a myth. The MVs are at least as clear, if not clearer. They both teach teh same doctrine; it's just a matter of clarity.

unfortunately i don't think we could establish that here, as we would need to go through all the variants in the entire new testament, and rate each according to what doctrine it upholds the best. does anyone know if there is any such comprehensive study already availabe? it could save some typing [​IMG]

[ February 27, 2003, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: am ha'aretz ]

8. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope. Decided better of it for now.

9. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've said it before, but it bears repeating here as well given the nature of the challenge and the predicted response to anything offered by one who may believe that the KJV is "stronger" on some important doctrinal issues than the MVs. </font>[/QUOTE] The KJV is stronger on some doctrinal issues than CT derived MV's. The problem comes with the assertion that it is stronger than all other translations on all doctrines in every instance. This is demonstrably false.

10. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

I would just like to point out the NKJV is just as strong.

Neal

11. Steve K.

Steve K. Guest

KJV Bible believers are busy serving God .You mv guys stay here and bicker if you want that keeps you out of my way in the REAL WORLD! Your discussions are pathetic,senseless,boring,lacking foundation,childish ...etc.You seem to be driven by an unclean spirit.Your constant attack against the one true word of God the KJV is only proving you to be what you are.

12. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation. Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit (Mark 3:29-30).

13. Steve K.

Steve K. Guest

Did anyone say the Holy Sprit had an unclean spirit or are you misapplying scripture? Good grief!

14. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You indicated those who prefer MV's are "driven by an unclean spirit." So answer-- do we have an unclean spirit, or do we have the Holy Spirit? They do not cohabitate. Which is it? Answer with one or the other; no runaround.

15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    RE: The deity of Christ...

Hmm, unanimous, except for the last one :

KJV John 8:58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

ASV John 8:58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was born, I am.

NIV John 8:58 "I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!"

NIB John 8:58 "I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!"

NAS John 8:58 Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am."

NAU John 8:58 Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am."

RSV John 8:58 Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am."

NRS John 8:58 Jesus said to them, "Very truly, I tell you, before Abraham was, I am."

NKJ John 8:58 Jesus said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM."

WEB John 8:58 Jesus said to them, Verily, verily, I say to you, Before Abraham was, I am.

DRA John 8:58 Jesus said to them: Amen, amen, I say to you, before Abraham was made, I AM.

DBY John 8:58 Jesus said to them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

BBE John 8:58 Jesus said to them, Truly I say to you, Before Abraham came into being, I am.

YLT John 8:58 Jesus said to them, 'Verily, verily, I say to you, Before Abraham's coming -- I am;'

NWT John 8:58 Jesus said to them: "Most truly I say to you, before Abraham came into existence, I have been".

16. Steve K.

Steve K. Guest

What part of my post don't you understand alcott?
    Why is it mv advocates have so much trouble with basic english?

17. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

Good to see Steve come in a post his rehashed pointless drivel. :rolleyes: I would be totally shocked if I saw a post from him one day that deals with any real substance and he actually has a meaningful post. But in the meantime, we will have to put up with his unsubstantiated attacks and accusations. What have you been busy doing in "the real world," Steve? Beating MVers over the head with the KJV and saying their going to hell?

Neal

18. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Steve, You owe many of us an apology. You have insenuated that those of us who disagree with you aren't serving God in the real world. Even if you were 100% correct (which you aren't), you have absolutely no basis for such an attack. In reality, it says nothing about those you accuse and everything about you and your pride.

We don't know you. You might be the best Christian on the BB. However, your testimony here with regards to other believers would caste doubt on such an assertion. And before you stage your counter-attack, remember it was you that suggested that other Christians might get in your way- I said nothing of the sort.

If a KJVO can lead someone to a saving faith in Christ and disciple them then I say "Praise God", not "Get out of my way your using the wrong Bible."

19. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

Amen and Amen! [​IMG]

Neal