1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Championship Needed?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by chuck2336, Jan 23, 2008.

1. chuck2336

chuck2336 Member

The thread on dominant players and or teams thread got me thinking. In regards to Dan Marino and the Dolphins and others of that ilk (Houston Oilers, Bills, etc )that dominate the season but dont win the title. Here is my question.

Is a Super bowl win needed for the Patriots to be included in the discussion of greatest teams?

In one word describe the Patriots season , IF they lose to the New York Giants.

Chuck2336

2. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Yes. The first criteria of a great team is that it has to win the championship. Consider these 2 teams.

The 1998 Minnesota Vikings set a record for points scored, but lost the NFC Championship Game and aren't considered one of the greatest teams. Interestingly, Gary Anderson hit every PAT and FG he attempted that year except for one. The one he missed was the one that would have given the Vikings a 10 point lead late in the 4th quarter.

The 1983 Washington Redskins set a record for points scored, but lost the Super Bowl and aren't considered one of the great teams. This matchup could have been the answer to the question I asked Monday about teams that met in the regular season and the team that lost the regular season game won the Super Bowl. The only difference is that the line was 3 points for that game and is 13 for this one.

If either of those teams had won, they would have deserved a mention in the discussion of great teams. BTW, there's an interesting trend there in regards to the '98 Vikings, '83 Redskins and possibly the '07 Patriots.

Disappointing. An enormous disappointment, actually.

BTW, chuck, I don't know whether you'll be happy about this or not, but Dr. Z (of cnnsi) picked the Giants to win the game. Of course, he picked the Bills to win at least 2 of their Super Bowls.

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I would agree wtih ccr here and say they would need a Superbowl win to be in this discussion. However, I do think that going undefeated throughout the regular season, something only one other team has ever done adds some weight to their case even if they do not win the Superbowl. But ultimately they need to win this game to be in the discussion and if they do win it, they may be "the" greatest team to play in the NFL.

I think you can see the same thing in the NBA with the Bulls team of the 90s that went 72-10 during the regular season, an amazing record. Would that team have been considered one of the greatest of all times without the ring that year? Maybe, but not likely. However, since they did win the ring they have to be considered one of the greatest NBA teams ever, if not the greatest.