1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Change the message or the method?

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Crabtownboy, May 18, 2015.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In another thread Salty said,
    I admit the church has to change in some ways, but it does not need to change the message. IMHO, and this is speaking in general, the church does have to change the way it appears to the public at large. The church must change so that it is not seen as a pernicious messenger, but as a messenger of hope and in demonstrating a better life. Too many churches overemphasis Paul and ignore the teachings of Jesus. Paul's teachings must be consistent with the teachings of Christ. This is especially true when it comes to how we are to treat those outside the church, especially those whom we do not like for one reason or another. In essence this makes them a bad witness.

An example of good, the Baptist church in Beirut, Lebanon opened its doors to Muslim refugees during one off the recent military actions that brought grief to so many. The supplied beds and meals. They made no demands on these refugees.

After peace returned and the Muslims were able to go home their leaders approached the Baptist leaders requesting meetings with them asking they explain why they treated them so well and helped them. Their comment was, "We have never seen Christians act this way before."

Instead of treating the Muslims in a traditional 'your are my enemy' way they followed Christ's teaching on treating your enemy with love.

What changes do you see as necessary for the church to make to regain respect and appeal in our world today?

2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Republican party change

Accidental double post.

3. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree.

The church has gone far from the teachings of Christ on how to treat and expect to be treated by the world(ly).

In my opinion, that is just part of the drift away from "true faith" that the Lord Jesus makes plain are matched by fruit that the world cannot comprehend.

4. robustheologian

robustheologian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The church needs to read and meditate on the Sermon on the Mount (Matt. 5-7) and stop looking for excuses on how it does not apply to certain situations.

5. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree.

When was the last time the people of the church meditated on anything?

Is there a time when the typical modern church quietly meditated as a part of worship?

If the people of the modern church don't "feel" anything at church they quickly hustle off to any ear tickler. The knowledge of God and Godliness is so frail that the typical modern believer has no concept when error is taught and applauds the efforts of men more loudly and longingly, easily hasting into disparaging and even despising any who dare raise warning.

"What I think" has become more important than what God states is true.

There is no true love, because there is no knowledge, no self control, no perseverance, no moral excellence, no brotherly kindness, and no godliness of which all believers must attain to not be shackled to the lusts of this world.