1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Changes to the BCS?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by ccrobinson, Feb 7, 2012.

1. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I just had to laugh at this one.

The Big10 is exploring a four team playoff for college football after squashing it a few years ago.

The bolding is my emphasis.

:laugh:

Now the fans are loud and clear? Where have these guys been the last few years? College football fans, by a large margin, have been very vocal for years, very much loud and clear, in wanting a playoff. But, when the precious TV money is threatened by low ratings, that's when the AD's get together and say they have to change things.

Lagging ticket sales (plus TV ratings, which means TV money) are going to be driving changes in college football, not concerns about "playing too deep into January".

It's not as if we needed another example of what really drives college football, but we got it nonetheless. It has nothing to do with what fans want, or concerns about the "student-athlete", but has everything to do with the color green.

2. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

The current situation is nothing less than a ridiculous laughingstock. And of course its fueled by the Money God and all the GREED that worshipping the Money God causes.

But a FOUR team playoff??? Thats barely an improvement over the comical situation we have now.

A 32 team playoff would be the best way to go, but I could tolerate 16

3. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

I still won't watch. They are going down the absurd path of baseball and basketball. How many games does it really take to prove a championship title is warranted?

4. Squidward

Squidward Member

A plus one is plenty. Most teams ranked below tenth shouldn't even be in the mix. In FCS, 16 is realistic as some of those teams may go 8-3 but have two losses to FBS teams and ranked like 11-12 in the FCS polls.

I couldn't even imagine a 32 team playoff. That's five weeks and would involve some 8-4 teams who don't even deserve a new year bowl. Maybe eight teams at the very most since there could be 4-6 teams tops that could compete. The current setup is a scam, but I'm convinced that none of the other teams like Ok St and Stanford would have even been worthy of playing on the same field as Alabama.

#4 Squidward, Feb 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2012
  5. Bobby Hamilton

Bobby Hamilton New Member

Shorten the season back to 11 games.

Then take an 8 team playoff, no auto qualifiers. Top 8 ranked teams go.

1 vs 8
    2 vs 7
    3 vs 6
    4 vs 5 and so on.

They try to make this far more complicated when it has to be, and they want to scream money money money, but they don't realize the money they are leaving on table.

Delany is smarting up now, because he didn't see the path that was going with the SEC.

I still don't think we're done with the possible megaconferences. Texas, IMO, is still just waiting to do something big and dump on the rest of the Big 12. When that happens, it will break loose.

6. Bobby Hamilton

Bobby Hamilton New Member

I think the largest we would ever see in CFB is 12 in a mode done like the NFL, and I think 8 is more realistic.

We'll get our plus 1 for now, and then in a few years I think it'll go to 8. The problem is, there will be AQ bids and unranked 6-6 Louisville will make the playoff while #9 ranked 10-2 Wisconsin will get left at home.