1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Changing attitude..

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by KeithKorg19, Mar 20, 2004.

1. KeithKorg19

KeithKorg19 New Member

Hello everybody,
    I need to know if anyone can relate to me on this..
    For the first 15 years of my life I was homeschooled. The last few years i have gone through public high school and now going through college. It was quite a change going from a sheltered childhood into the secular world.
    Most of my opinions on things like drugs, drinking, and sex had come directly from church and my parents. Lately I have been thinking about these things trying to figure out my own views on them. I don't really know what to think. It feels weird to change the way you feel about things when you have been told to think a certain way since you were a child.

I don't know. It is really confusing. Maybe things shouldn't change, or maybe things have to change?

Does anyone know what I am talking about?

KK19

2. Kayla

Kayla New Member

I can relate sometimes you doubt a little on what you have been taught you should talk to a pastor about it. There's always God's word. I just was reading because I had trouble thinking about my enemies going to heaven, I had trouble witnessing to them. Then I was readin in Matthew the beattitudes, and says in there:

Mat 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

Mat 5:45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust

Mat 5:46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?

Mat 5:47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more [than others]? do not even the publicans so?

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I am probably thirty years older than you. But I am still perfecting my theology. While at the same time trying to focus on Jesus.

Be assured that God will give you direction and protect you as you seek him. Don't expect to have views on everything. I am very diferent from my parents. My parents were not believers. So at first when I came to Christ there was the immediate conflict. It was horrible. But today I know what people are going through because I have been there.

Just rememeber God will give you the wisdom you need when you need it. Just ask Him for that wisdom. I am still amazed at how God gives me wisdom. Just a few months ago I saw how God gave me the words to say and over a period of time I saw how things lined up. How's that for me not knowing but knowing who is in control. God is always God.

I would challenge you to begin to pray that God will give you someone else who is a real friend that you can share and pray with. When I was your age I had men who held me acountable. To this day some of those men are still accountable to me. That is over 30 years later. When times get tough and you feel like throwing in the towel some of those men will encourage you and lift you up. But they will also tell you things that possibly no one else will.

4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Hello KeithKorg19,
    yes such things can be troublesome. The first thing is how do we get our core beliefs? Did they come as you stated from your parents and church or from our Lord? The later is the only way that we will not question them. Since you did not state exactly what you are having questions about it is difficult to give clear advise. However If I were you I would set down and examine clearly your relationship with the Lord. By that I mean who directs your life and by what standards? Then you can start to deal with particulars.
    You are welcome to email or PM me if you have specific questions. God bless.

5. KeithKorg19

KeithKorg19 New Member

I guess the reason this is on my mind is that at this point in my life I can do pretty much anything I want to do.

"who directs your life and by what standards?"
    I think that I direct my life with God's influence. "What standards" is what I am confused about. I have been told what correct standards are, but my mind is too rebelious to accept them.

So the problem is really me. I hate to feel like I am above other people. I don't like to feel like I am somehow morally superior to the people around me.
    I think it is partially self defence. I hate to get that empty feeling when I find out that someone who I love has done something that I think is bad. But if I have done the same bad thing, then I don't feel bad, because I feel that I am on the same level.

I don't know if I explained it clearly, but does anyone know what I mean?

KK

6. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Keith,
    I do understand and it raises a question. Do you consider yourself to be born agian and if so what do you base your belief on? That is not a question to be smart or put you on the spot, but one that comes up after reading your comments. The problems you are going through may be more then just some passing issues.
    Here is what it is like to be born again. I came from a very sinfull background. Since my conversion there has not been a month, not a day, not a week, not an hour, not even a minute that I am not aware of the Lord leading me in His way. He is always convicting or leading to do this or don't do that and so on. It is the same for every born again believer. Scripture bares this out in Romans 8.
    If you are born again your highest desire will be to follow the Lord Jesus in all He wants of you because you have surrendered your heart/life to God. It is not about a set of rules, but rather a heart set on Him which brings obediance to His ways. What you will have as a heart attitude is you will not want anything that is contrary to the way of the Lord in your life, but you will have wrestle with the flesh to keep it so.

7. arnold andrew

arnold andrew New Member

hey keith where in kansas are you from? what church in kansas do you go to? mybe we live close and someday we could meet? that would be great!!!!!! I live in lawrence there is a awsome christian coffee house we should meet at it is called dads place!! let me know if you want to meet me there