1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Changing denominations

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Matt Black, Jun 12, 2007.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Another insightful point -

Well said sir.

in Christ,

Bob

2. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Acts 17:11 - in this case the church father would be "Luke"!!

Or do we need someone "ELSE" we trust even less to "interpret Luke for us"??

Just curious.

in Christ,

Bob

3. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think the main doctrine is "spruce up the Church of England" and "God save the King".

4. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Matt,

God's best to you & your wife as you continue to seek God's will for your lives. Changing churches - and more so denominations -- can be difficult. I'm sure you've not made this change without considerable searching & much prayer.

In addition to the small groups, good to see your new church supports scouting. My son met some scouts from the UK at scout camp last year & now has a UK neckerchief!

Godspeed, FOS PS -- How far away are you from London?

5. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks - we're about 70 miles from London - roughly halfway between Portsmouth and Southampton on the south coast if you have a map handy

6. Nate7

Nate7 New Member

sorry

My mistake, I did not realize he is from England. My apologies. I should have been more informed before I posted. (and reformed too.) I shall try to answer the questions that were posed to me, but as for now I have to go to work. :thumbs: :type:

7. Nate7

Nate7 New Member

are u pca?

FriendOfSpurgeon are you PCA?

8. Nate7

Nate7 New Member

How about the particular Baptists in the UK?:thumbs:

9. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Thanks but I disagree with several points of Baptist ecclesiology. My former church contained both General and Particular Baptists but as a denomination Particulars are pretty thin on the ground - I can think of a few Grace Baptist chapels and there's even a Strict and Particular Baptist chapel a few miles away...but neither are for me

10. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Yes. Grew up Baptist. Moved to the PCA about 20 years ago. Current church is Old Cutler Pres --- www.ocpc.org.

11. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Thats odd, I grew up in PCA and am now Baptist.

12. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

I guess that means everyone's even.

13. Nate7

Nate7 New Member

Opc

what do you guys think of the OPC? We are thinking of going to a local Orthodox Presbyterian Church.

14. Nate7

Nate7 New Member

mattblack

Do you think that the Church Of England will become more liberal or has since Rowan Williams has been the Archbishop?

15. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Do you mean the Church of England or the wider Anglican Communion? If the latter, I think that it is by and large the North American Provinces which are liberal; the Third World Provinces (eg: ++Akinola of Nigeria) make the SBC look like a bunch of pinko-liberals. England (ie: the CofE itself) is a mixed bag - we have charismatic evangelical, conservative evangelical, open evangelical, traditional broad church (Prayer Book but a bit liberal), 'central' (trying to embrace all wings), low church (Prayer Book but conservative Reformed), Reformed (conservative Reformed), ForwardinFaith (conservative Anglo-Catholic) and AffirmingCatholicism (liberal Anglo-Catholic) parishes dotted around the country. Into this melee comes ++Rowan: initially thought to be liberal and hailed by the liberals as their 'great white hope' when he was appointed, he has shown himself to be a lot more conservative in reality, threatening ECUSA with expulsion from the Communion over the Gene Robinson affair.

The way I read the tea-leaves therefore is that the North American Provinces will be expelled next year at the 2008 Lambeth Conference of Anglican Bishops and thus the Communion will become more conservative.

16. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am a little confused about the relationship with Episcopal church in that case. Please forgive my ignorance about such area.
    My friend once attended the conference in commemoration of John Wesley's Conversion, 250th anniversary in 1988, and at that time Queen Elizabeth attended there, and there were many denominations represented and involved in John Wesley such as Methodist, Wesleyan, Episcopal, COE etc. My friend was surprised to see the Queen knelt on her knees when she prayed while other attendants were standing up.
    I don't expect the spilt is easy which is much more difficult than the individual change of denominations.

17. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Both the Episcopal Church (sorry, I should have used the new acronym of 'TEC', not 'ECUSA' in my last post) and the Church of England are part of the Anglican Communion, headed by the Archbishop of Canterbury, ++Rowan Williams (aka 'The Hairy Primate')

18. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think the main doctrine is "spruce up the Church of England" and "God save the King".

19. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Revelation 20
    1 Then I saw an angel coming down from heaven, holding the key of the abyss and a great chain in his hand.
    2 And he laid hold of the dragon, the serpent of old, who is the devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years;
    3 and he threw him into the abyss, and shut it and sealed it over him, so that he would not deceive the nations any longer, until the thousand years were completed; after these things he must be released for a short time.

The sequence is clear. In Rev 19 you have the 2nd coming – literal – visible and world wide. The saints are taken at that event (as we saw in 1Thess 4) and the “rest are killed by the sword that came from His mouth” Rev 19.

Rev 20
    4 Then I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and judgment was given to them. And
    I saw the souls[/b] of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony of Jesus and because of the word of God, and those who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received the mark on their forehead and on their hand; and [b]they came to life and reigned with Christ for a thousand years.

And they lived (kai ezhsan).
    First aorist active indicative of zaw. If the ingressive aorist, it means "came to life" or "lived again" as in 2:8 and so as to verse 20:5.
    http://www.studylight.org/com/rwp/view.cgi?book=re&chapter=020&verse=004

John S. C. Abbott and Jacob Abbott
    http://www.studylight.org/com/ain/view.cgi?book=re&chapter=020
    Rev 20 Verse 4
    Beheaded for the witness of Jesus; for the witness which they bore.
    And they lived; were restored to life. This language has been commonly understood to mean that the martyrs thus raised were to appear upon the earth again; but the place which was to be the scene of their new existence, does not seem to be indicated.

John Gill
    http://www.studylight.org/com/geb/view.cgi?book=re&chapter=020&verse=004
    Rev 20:4
    their souls lived in their bodies, their bodies being raised again, and reunited to their souls, their whole persons lived; or the souls of them that were beheaded lived; that is, their bodies lived again, the soul being sometimes put for the body, (Psalms 16:10) and this is called the first resurrection in the next verse:

Jamieson, Fausset, Brown
    http://www.studylight.org/com/jfb/view.cgi?book=re&chapter=020
    But "souls" expresses their disembodied state (compare Re 6:9) as John saw them at first; "and they lived" implies their coming to life in the body again, so as to be visible, as the phrase, Re 20:5, "this is the first resurrection," proves; for as surely as "the rest of the dead lived not (again) until," &c., refers to the bodily general resurrection, so must the first resurrection refer to the body. This also accords with 1Co 15:23, "They that are Christ's at His coming." Compare Ps 49:11-15. From Re 6:9,

Matthew Henry
    Verses 4-6 Here is an account of the reign of the saints, for the same space of time as Satan is bound. Those who suffer with Christ, shall reign with him in his spiritual and heavenly kingdom, in conformity to him in his wisdom, righteousness, and holiness: this is called the first resurrection, with which none but those who serve Christ, and suffer for him, shall be favoured. The happiness of these servants of God is declared. None can be blessed but those that are holy; and all that are holy shall be blessed. We know something thing of what the first death is, and it is very awful; but we know not what this second death is. It must be much more dreadful; it is the death of the soul, eternal separation from God. May we never know what it is: those who have been made partakers of a spiritual resurrection, are saved from the power of the second death. We may expect that a thousand years will follow the destruction of the antichristian, idolatrous, persecuting powers

5 The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were completed. This is the first resurrection.
    6 Blessed and holy is the one who has a part in the first resurrection; over these the second death has no power, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with Him for a thousand years.[/quote]

20. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but do any of you Brits (or any other Anglophiles) know the lyrics to the song "God Save the King/Queen"?

The lyrics to the song's melody I know are those of "My Country 'Tis of Thee" (by Baptist minister Samuel Smith), but I really don't think those are the words that people in England are singing when the tune to "God Save the King/Queen" is being played there.

(PM me if anyone out there does know the British lyrics to GSTK/Q so we won't unnecessarily hijack this interesting thread.)