1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Characteristics of "Pastor Eating" Churches

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by tinytim, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Disgruntled UK Baptist

It's a known syndrome amongst small churches isn't it, the "gatekeepers" attitude. We all want new people, but we only want them to be pew warmers and perhaps to come and hep if anything practical needs doing. All posts in the church are allocated on the basis of who has been there longest and if the deacons don't want a midweek Bible study they will tell you not to have one, even if 20 new people want to come.

On the other hand, having also been on the other side of this, it can be very hurtful when a new couple arrive in the church from nowhere and get promoted to a position of leadership within a few months, when those who have been working away for years get overlooked. It's the elder brother syndrome. Start changing everything and the existing members feel totally undervalued and that is difficult to accept. I understand that totally. What I don't understand, is why people who do not want to do a particular job themselves, object to a newcomer doing the job.

D.

2. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

* More emphasis is on taking care of the cemetery (which has led to splits) than on discipleship and growing the body
    * Holding up certain former pastors on a pedastal while the majority were nothing more than trouble makers
    * The number of splits experienced in recent years
    * The inability to grow in a growing community
    * Being told on visitation "I wish you well, but i'm not going back to that church"
    * Being told at least once a week as you make contacts in the community "Yeah...i used to go to that church".
    * Having local pastors contact you out of the blue and say, "Hey, if you need someone to talk to in confindence...i'm always available to pray with you and i'll understand."

I hope i haven't repeated any, but this is what i have for starters.