1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Charging interest

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by deacon jd, Apr 20, 2007.

1. deacon jd

deacon jd New Member

I have been doing a study on usury(interest) in Gods Word and I cannot find any scripture that condones it. Every verse I look at seems to prohibit the charging of interest and collecting interest from your money. I would like to hear some thoughts from anyone interested in the topic.

2. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

You're using usury and interest as if they were interchangeable.

It appears that usury and interest were synonymous at one time, but no longer are. I find nothing wrong with charging a fair interest rate on a loan.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Tell you what, instead of putting money into a savings account that gathers interest, let me hold it for you. :)

Taking advantage of someone, and the cost of money are quite different. I'm a hard money lender to local investors. They pay me money so they can make money. That's how every and any business works.

4. deacon jd

deacon jd New Member

I appreciate your response. What brought you to the conclusion that charging a "fair" interest rate was ok?

5. deacon jd

deacon jd New Member

I appreciate your response, but I was looking for a more biblical one.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Can you supply the Scipture you believe states it's prohibited?

7. deacon jd

deacon jd New Member

(Proverbs 28:8) He that by usury and unjust gain increaseth his substance, he shall gather it for him that will pity the poor.

(Ezek 18:8) He that hath not given forth upon usury.....

(Ps 15:5) He that putteth not out his money to usury...

Jesus went even further in (Luke6:35)But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.

The Mosaic law was full of it , but I felt sure that you would regect it as you probably will the above.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...not rejecting it, but rejecting your interpretation of it. I bolded the most important part. Usury described is taking advantage of someone. Jesus, in Luke 6, is speaking of someone in NEED...not someone trying to make a living.

9. deacon jd

deacon jd New Member

I do not find anything in the scripture passage in Luke 6 that implies that we are to lend only to those in need. Jesus just says our enemies and when we do lend to expect nothing in return not even that which we lended. We are to increase by labour the Bible is very plain about this.

10. rbell

rbell Active Member

Matthew 25:27 (parable of the talents):

Would Jesus have alluded to a sinful practice in one of His parables, and not addressed such practice as sinful?

I see a difference between usury and interest.

11. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

rbell, I was going to point that out.

But, I'll go one further:

The servants who got a return on the money were rewarded. The one who simply saved it was punished, and had even that which he had taken away.

Businesses, quite often, will donate goods, services, or money to those who are in need. A local taxi company will give anyone a ride, even if they don't have any money. He will simply say, "That's OK, pay me when you see me next." He doesn't even get stiffed very often. (But, we are in a community where everyone knows everyone, unless they're newbies or tourists.)

All throughout Scriptures, we are given pictures of those who gain because of their labor or investing or whatever.

For that matter, the tithe was based on the gain. If you don't gain, what are you supposed to give?

12. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

The above was made with the general practice of charging interest in mind. I should have pointed out that it's different with a brother:

Deuteronomy 23:19-20: Thou shalt not lend on interest to thy brother, interest of silver, interest of food,—interest of any thing that can be lent on interest: to a foreigner, thou mayest lend on interest, but to thy brother, shalt thou not lend on interest,—that Yahweh thy God may bless thee, in everything where-unto thou puttest thy hand, upon the land which thou art entering to possess.

With this in mind, remember that a brother is one who is being obedient to God, according to Matthew 12:50. That doesn't mean that every person who comes up and aska, "Can you spare a fellow Christian $10,000?" that you're obligated to do it.

But, a brother, one who is being obedient, is not going to stiff you, unless it's beyond his control, in which case, does it really matter?

This also doesn't mean that you need to be unkind to strangers. If a stranger needs $100 for a bus ticket and you can spare it and you feel led of the Lord, great!

But many people misuse this principle to scam others.

If you came to my house and were hungry, I'd buy you groceries. If you were able to pay it back later, fine. If not, fine.

13. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Because of the Parable of the Talents.

It seems like you're still equating interest and usury. Those 2 are not the same.

14. deacon jd

deacon jd New Member

I'm a common sense guy and I believe that it is common sense that usury is a fee for using my money thus the word "usury." duh. I tell you what .... how about you find interest in the bible and show me where it is ok. Also address the passage in Luke 6 saying that you do not even expect what is loaned in return.

15. deacon jd

deacon jd New Member

In the Bible(KJV) the word usury is used in Mt 25:27 instead of interest so I guess usury and interest are the same according to your more modern version.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Since you are a "common sense" guy, I hope you are self employed with no employess. Either paying someone to work for you, or causing someone to pay you for work performed would also be "usury".
    Also, I hope you keep all of your money under your pillow, as putting it in a bank would support "usury". Get rid of that home, too, while you are at it if you have a mortgage...not to mention any cars that are leased or financed.
    Matter of fact, giving your money to any business would be supporting "usury"...better live in a tent and grow your own food. :)

Charging interest is receiving payment for services rendered, the exact same thing that is done with 99% of the people here on this board who earn a living (the other 1% are pastors :D )

#16 webdog, Apr 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2007
  17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Which one was the "evil servant", deacon?

18. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Is it common sense to avoid definitions of words that you don't like? See my first reply to this thread.

I tell you what. How about you answer the questions that have been posed to you in answer of your OP? I see no reason to repeat what everybody else has already posted.

I'm done with this thread. I tried to honestly answer the OP, but all you want to do is throw insults.

19. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

It has been a long time since I have looked at the subject. If I rememebr right God's people were not to charge one another interest. However they did to the world which was around 4%. Usury is highly inflated interest rates beyond reasonable.

20. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

What have you been smoking or drinking tonight? You do not have a clue what you are talking about. Go look up the words in a dictionary.