1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Charismatic Errors Listed

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by John of Japan, Sep 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allan

Allan Active Member

Thank you.. I don't make an issue of it but it is something many just don't do even though we are told not to believe every spirit. I'm not on enough to go in depth into subjects as I used to and I believe it will take much love and effort to set it forth in a biblical way to deal with questions and thoughts. Much more time than I have on here :)

#21 Allan, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2012
  2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 1:12, 13 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Rom 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

1Cr 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

1Cr 1:23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness; But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.

Where one sees genuine faith, hope and love, he sees the power of God.

3. awaken

awaken Active Member

Great verses!
    I also like...

MT 22:29 Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the POWER of God.

AC 1:8 But ye shall receive POWER, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

AC 6:8 And Stephen, full of faith and POWER, did great wonders and miracles among the people.

1CO 2:4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of POWER:
    1CO 2:5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the POWER of God.

1CO 4:20 For the kingdom of God is not in word, but in POWER.

1TH 1:5 For our gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in POWER, and in the Holy Ghost, and in much assurance; as ye know what manner of men we were among you for your sake.

4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know that a direct connection can be made, but Francis Schaeffer wrote, "One can...see a parallel between the new Pentecostals and the liberals. The liberal theologians don't believe in content or religious truth. They are really existentialists using theological, Christian terminology. Consequently, not believing in truth, they can enter into fellowship with any other experience-oriented group using religious language" (quoted in The New Charismatics, by Richard Quebedeaux, p. 172).

5. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

On the "Flip" side of confessing "I am rich!!"---is the notion of refusing to "say" other words of confessing

For instance----I had a neighbor who he and his wife were big into the confessing movement----and they refused to say the "C" word----for saying the "C" word is a confession and you will get it

So they never said the "C" word

She died of cancer a couple years ago---got it without confessing it!!!:flower::flower:

6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very true! And it gets worse. Based on WOF is the doctrine of "little gods" that some prominent Charismatic teachers hold to (with some similarities to the Mormons. Walter Martin, the famed apologetics expert, has a whole on this chapter in The Agony of Deceit (a book of essays by evangelical scholars on the errors of the Charismatic TV preachers, ed. by Michael Horton).

According to Martin, "Earl Paulk, Charles Capps, Robert Tilton, Kenneth Copeland, and Kenneth E. Hagin are among the leading televangelists who espouse the 'little gods' teaching" (p. 90). He then quotes Paulk: "Until we comprehend that we are little gods and we begin to act like little gods, we cannot manifest the Kingdom of God" (ibid). Then Tilton: "You are...a God kind of creature. Originally you were designed to be as a god in this world. Man was designed or created by God to be the god of this world" (ibid, 90-91). Copeland: "You don't have a god in you, you are one!" (ibid, 92; Copeland's emphasis).

Martin further writes, "The president of Trinity Broadcasting network, Paul Crouch, has taught this doctrine openly and once spent almost two hours attempting to convince me and three other ministers that we were 'little gods.' Many evangelical organizations, consciously or not, are helping 'savage wolves' spread such diabolical errors" (ibid, p. 93).

John MacArthur also documents this heresy thoroughly in Charismatic Chaos, pp. 331-336. But surely I don't need any more quotes. The leaders of the Charismatic movement are teaching this terrible heresy!

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Never heard of that one! Very sad.

8. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

I listen to Brannon Howse a lot and lately he has been exposing those who speak in tongues falsely. He played a audio file with Kenneth Copeland and Rodney Howard Brown having a dueling tongue exhibition. It was terrible to listen to. What was amazing, the crowd was in a frenzy when they would laugh and howl and make up their gibberish. Just Google "Worldview Weekend" and check out his videos and radio sections.

9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is where the Charismatics differ from the old line Pentecostals. The Charismatics teach that the individual can speak in tongues any time they want, but the Pentecostals limited it. Also, the doctrine that there can be an individual prayer language is not old line Pentecostal, but a doctrine made up by the Charismatics. The "Personal prayer language" is something that never existed in theology or history in the church of Jesus Christ until the Charismatics invented it. So the hermeneutics they worked up from Acts 2 that they were praying to God instead of proclaiming the good works of God to others is a man made doctrine.

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More quotes from I Once Spoke in Tongues, by Wayne Robinson.

"Many persons who practice glossalalia sincerely believe they are uttering some local language or dialect. Others believe that their expressions are in some lost tongue. Yet, researchers have examined hundreds of recorded specimens of glossalalia without ever identifying such sounds with a national language or native dialect" (p. 85).

Then, in line with my OP when I stated that they make a minor doctrine (spiritual gifts) into a foundational doctrine: "One of the very real problems in relating to charismatics who testify to the importance of glossalalia in their lives is the tendency to reverse the order given here (in 1 Cor. 12:30-31--JoJ). It's a form of religious myopia. Glossalalia is the event nearest to them, and, consequenty, the only one they see. The church, its ministry, other Christians, and the gospel itself are seen only through the lens of glossalalia. Rather than glossalalia's being accepted as one of the minor gifts of the Spirit, it becomes the norm for Christian self-understanding" (p. 92).

11. awaken

awaken Active Member

MAYBE......if you guys would study the Bible more than other religions and false doctrine....you just might see the TRUTH in HIS WORD!

You do not have to look far to see false! But you do have to look deep into His Word to find God's truth! When you find it! Believe it by faith! Walk it out by Faith! The journey is amazing! Everything He said is true!

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow. How is it that you know we don't study the Bible more than false doctrine? I don't remember seeing you in my house or church.

And do you endorse these Charismatic doctrines? Or do you believe we should oppose the teaching of the "little gods" doctrine, manifest sons of God doctrine, fake healings, fake tongues and the other heretical doctrines here listed?

Folks, awaken is showing precisely the Charismatic ecumenicalism listed above. In his view pointing out false doctrine is wrong. We should all "just get along" with the Catholics, liberals, Charismatic false prophets and others like them.

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Folks, I was forced into the study of Charismatic errors years ago. My first encounter was when twin Japanese men were lured away from my church by the Charismatics. I was so naive! (Long story, won't go into it.) I remember when they came back to visit later when I had a cold, and one prayed to cast out the "demon of the cold" in me. Whoa! That certainly wasn't in the Bible.

Then during our 1993-1994 furlough, members moved next door to a a couple who were members of a "Latter Rain" church, and the couple tried to get them to leave the church I was planting, speak in tongues and go to their church. When we arrived back in Japan we had a crisis on our hands. God helped me through a computer CD with lots of files on it, including one on the Latter Rain movement and the Kansas City Fellowship by an ex-Charismatic named Stephen F. Cannon, who was gracious and helpful when I got in touch with him.

I then had three Bible studies on tongues (studying deeply as awaken says I don't) with my couple and the Charismatics. The upshot was that the Charismatic pastor told his people to leave us alone--I guess they were asking him too many questions about tongues. :smilewinkgrin: So this precious couple, who I had married, baptized her, counselled for years and many hours over her problems, stuck with us. They still have problems, but nowadays he pastors a house church in Tottori Prefecture.

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I had a similar experience many years ago. An acquaintance met me unexpectedly in a store. His friend was a Charismatic, who he introduced to me. When he (the Charismatic) found out that I was a Baptist, and did not believe in Charismatic doctrine, he tried to cast a demon out of me right there and then in a public place. He caused quite a commotion. There were some that quickly left the store. One would think it would only demonstrate to the sound thinking person of the foolishness of this movement, when such nonsense is perpetrated.

15. awaken

awaken Active Member

Your getting good at adding words to my post! I do not agree with anything that is fake! ....and that includes fake salvation!

16. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

I would say it is more loving to point out error since those who follow it are headed for Hell. If we just sit by and not say anything when we encounter false teaching we do more harm. But those who actually preach that we should all just get along diminish the word of God.

17. awaken

awaken Active Member

Are you saying those that believe in the manifestation of the Holy Spirit are headed for hell?

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

It all depends what you mean, "manifestation of the Spirit."
    I met a person who was an avid tongues-speaker, promoted it among his church members fervently, but when I talked to him privately he had no idea what it meant to be saved. He had not trusted Christ as his Savior. In that context, the "manifestation of the Holy Spirit" is meaningless. The man was on his way to hell.

19. awaken

awaken Active Member

THere is a difference in being saved and believing in the manifestation and not being saved.

Someone can be saved and believe in the truth of the manifestation of the Holy Spirit. Just like someone can be saved and not believe in them.

Believing in the manifestation of the Holy Spirit does not determine your salvation.

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Where does the Bible teach about the manifestation of the Holy Spirit?
    How many references in the Bible can you find to that term?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.