1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Charismatic-leaning Southern Baptists being betrayed, excluded, says pastor

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gb93433, Feb 9, 2006.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The small numbers of chartismatics along with many many conservatives who live for Christ are leaving as well.

2. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

Every Charismatic/Pentecostal church that I am familiar with seems to lack order. Kind of reminds me when Paul was chewing out the Corinthians. :cool:

3. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I agree or the church should realign with a denominational organization sharing their beliefs. There are a few charasmatic groups out there from which to chose.

4. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I don't quite know how to take this -- as a conservative living for Christ. I have no plans to leave my Baptist church. Am I reading this incorrectly?

5. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The "speaking in tongues" in the Bible was a special gift of the ability to speak in another language temporarily...NOT gibberish. The purpose was to get the Gospel out to all languages quickly. There is no necessity for this to happen today, so anyone who says that they are "speaking in tongues" is projecting some wild emotion or some temporary "high". If someone has a gift of tongues today, it means that they are fluent in another language.
    Some of our missionaries have a gift for learning another language quickly.

I left a Southern Baptist church that had a core membership of charismatic members. That church had a thriving membership of over 200 when I left it in 1971 to go away to college. I visited there last fall, and it has maybe 40 members now?

Charismatic behavior is only a temporary emotional rush. I don't need an adrenaline shot at church.

6. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

After being saved 42 years ago through the influence of a Baptist church, I became a member of a Baptist church...in particular an American Baptist Association-affiliated church. For the past 15 years I have been a Southern Baptist by conviction and by choice.

Maybe I have missed something, but in my 32 years of ministry I have thought that Baptists are Baptists because of what they believe about various teachings of the Scriptures. Some of those teachings are basic and fundamental. Some, though not fundamental, are still important in indentifying Baptists.

What I am hearing is that the Baptist camp is now large enough to accomodate the false teachings of the charismatics. I am amazed...absolutely amazed.

I concur with you, insuranceman.

And, atestring, I would like to see the documentation that forms the basis for your statement that 50% of SBC missionaries are charismatic.

I have no problem with anyone being a charismatic. My problem is when they don't have the intellectual integrity to identify themselves as such. Instead, they don their charismatic garb, strut across the SBC landscape, and then complain when their charismatic theology is rejected by Southern Baptist Churches.

I am amazed...absolutely amazed. Somebody explain what I missed and how I missed it.

7. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

If the foundations are weakened, how will the people of God stand? It is a subtle shift that has been occuring for a while now.

8. baptistteacher

Site Supporter

If a church (or a person) doesn't agree with the historic Baptist doctrine, upon coming to the conclusion that the "charismatic position" is the belief that they will hold to, the ethical option is to quietly leave for fellowship with those who hold similar beliefs.

This is true for any other basic doctrine. (Not true, however, for what color the carpet should be.)

9. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Amen

10. atestring

atestring New Member

I have talked to many people that say what you just said and most of the time ( you may be an exception) these people haven't even been to one of these churches but someone told them something 2nd or third hand.
    Could you give me specific names of churches that you have gone to and tell me exctly what happened?

11. atestring

atestring New Member

Do you believe that a Baptist Church is suppose to be autonomous?

12. atestring

atestring New Member

If Charismatic behavior is only a temporry rush of adreneline then go to foreign countries and explain why the churches are multiplying daily and Moslems are getting born again.
    Tell me why the church is declining in America where Baptist churches fight the very thing that is getting results in foreign countries?

13. baptistteacher

Site Supporter

A Baptist Church is autonomous.

A church that does not hold to Baptist doctrine should not call itself Baptist. This leads to confusion and controversy.

Names mean something. When I go to a Catholic church, I expect it to do and teach Catholic things; a Methodist chruch to do and teach Methodist things. When I go to a Baptist Church, I expect to find Baptist doctrine and actions, not charasmatic.

14. insuranceman

insuranceman New Member

Amen baptistteacher. I do not understand why if someone wants to "speak in tongues" that they would remain in a Baptist church. If the spirit is moving so mightily in the charismatic church why do they want to hang around us "dead" Baptists. By the way I know of many on fire Baptist churches where the only gibberish type tongues which is spoken is in the nursery.

15. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

But there are Baptist Denominations that are founded on the idea of "Speaking in Tongues"

http://www.pfwb.org/

http://www.fullgospelbaptist.org/

16. Omega

Omega New Member

http://www.pfwb.org/

This a Baptist group?

I took a look at this Pentecostal Free Will Baptist and in the history section of their site they state:

"Because of the doctrinal disputes, the break with other Free Will Baptists of non-Pentecostal persuasion came. Our churches did not enjoy a close fellowship with other denominational bodiesfor many years. Today our identification is more with the Holiness and Pentecostal bodies than with the non-Pentecostal Free Will Baptist groups. This is evidenced by our membership in the Pentecostal Fellowship of North America and its successor organization."

Hmmm...a group of people that identify themselves with Pentecostal bodies and hold membership in the Pentecostal Fellowship of North America!!!???!!

Also it seems that this group was not "founded on the idea of "Speaking in Tongues" but rather this group became infected with the Speaking in Tongues doctrinal disease. For the modern day Tongues Movement is only a little over a 100 years old and this group claims to have started before that.

I believe this little group forgot to remove the name Baptist from their sign. Looking at what they believe and who they fellowship with I can not see how anyone could claim this is a Baptist group.

Your Friend
    Omega

17. baptistteacher

Site Supporter

By adding things to their name, such as "Pentecostal Free Will Baptist" or "Full Gospel Baptist," they have at least made a differentiation between themselves and standard, historical Baptists. This cuts down on the confusion.

I still would prefer that they drop the "Baptist" part of the name, but appreciate their honesty in adding the other part.

18. shannonL

shannonL New Member

atestring,

I'm not doubting what your saying about how God is moving in foreign countries. If God tarries let us see how much of this mighty movement has lasting effects, results etc...

Results do not automatically qualify it as being from God. Are you basing your position on this matter upon "results" or what you think the Bible teaches concerning tongues?
    If the tongues movement is not thriving along with being in accord with what the Bible says then its not of God. I don't care how many nations are seeing results.

19. atestring

atestring New Member

Show me Where Charismatics are in contradiction to The Baptist Faith and Message.

20. atestring

atestring New Member

In ACts it was said "ye do always resist"