1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Charity?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by menageriekeeper, Jun 27, 2006.

1. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

If an unsaved person comes to your church looking for assisstance, do you ask that person why the church should provide them with assistance? Is this a proper thing for a church to ask?

What then if there is a church member who comes asking for assistance? Do we then ask why we should give to them?

Last question, if one of your church members came to you and asked specifically for food because there was none in the house and the children were hungry, how would you respond? Would it make a difference if the person who asked was a single mother? If the children were older or younger?

Do we need to the why of the request before we give, or should we give and let God provide the increase.

Now, I am not talking about panhandlers here. I am talking about people who have real needs, whether or not they are saved.

2. Cailiosa

Cailiosa New Member

Sometimes you have to ask why, to make sure their not pan handlers.

That was very thought provoking!

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Does the Bible even mention the Church being a charity organization?

4. Cailiosa

Cailiosa New Member

The church that Annanias and Saphira were a part of obviously was.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...but where was the money going to?

6. Cailiosa

Cailiosa New Member

The members of the church who had need of it, the widows, and probably non members who needed help also. Annianias and Saphira's money may not all have been in the right, but there was many other members in that church who were selling their belongings and property so that the church could help those in need. They didn't just keep the money to buy a new building, if they even had one.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

That's my point. The money was spent in house, amongst needs of the Church family, and I'm sure to spread the Gospel. Spending money like this, and to further the Gospel are responsible, being a "charity" to the outside world only looking for assistance is not the responsibility of the Church. They should go to the salvation army or united way for this.

8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Well of course a church should help some family who were in need of food. If someone just came and ask for a donation I would have to know why for too many times that money goes straight to the nearest bar. The church is not blind and not led by people who have not lived in the real world.

9. menageriekeeper

Perhaps not the church but an arguement can be made that individual Christians should give from this passage:

Lu 3:10And the multitudes asked him, saying, What then must we do?Lu 3:11And he answered and said unto them, He that hath two coats, let him impart to him that hath none; and he that hath food, let him do likewise.

10. Cailiosa

Cailiosa New Member

It isn't the churches responsiblity to take care of them and help them out, but it is the churches responsibility to reach them with the gospel of Christ. We should be charitable, because remember what Christ said, I don't remember where this is so I'm just quoting from memory.. "I was hungry and you fed me not, I was naked and you clothed me not...." When we give "charity" to a lost person, that is an excellent way for us to witness to them, to show to them were not a bunch of holier than thous that don't care about them. I believe that Christ truly wants us to help those that we can. Many churches don't help the lost, poor needy people because they take the same attitude you do, that "Well it's not our responsibility! Somone else will help them, we have more imortant things to do." More important things? Like what? What could be more important than reaching others for Christ?

11. Cailiosa

Cailiosa New Member

Thats why you shouldn't give them money, give them what they need, food clothes, a JOB..........

12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Depends on whether you personally know them. I live in an urban area so I know almost everyone but I keep forgetting some of you live in the city where you sometimes don't even know your next door neighbor. Yes, I would be more careful if I didn't know them.

13. menageriekeeper

How should we give to them? Generously, or just enough for them to get by?

What should give to them? Food that will do, or food that we would serve ourselves? Clothes that are suitable or cast offs that we ourselves would no longer wear?

14. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

lol menageriekeeper; :)
    Gotta get rid of that stuff somehow.

15. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a church, I feel we have a responsibility to help others when we can.

We don't keep a food pantry at our church. We do budget a certain amount of $$ each year for benevolent needs, but we get many more calls for assistance than we are capable of meeting.

If someone calls for food, especially if they have children, if we're able, we give them a voucher for the local grocery store (with the stipulation that there's no alcohol or tobacco on the tab). The store then bills us. For gas, we have a plan worked out with the local station - we call them and tell them how much gas to give the person and they bill us.

We like to help! But we do have those who make their living off of churches. It's not that they can't do better or take care of themselves, they choose not to. Many times, to be able to help those who really need the help, we tell the others no. There's no way we can afford to help everyone who calls.

Now, if you have an extra $10,000 or so laying around, we'll be glad to use it to feed the hungry in our area!

16. menageriekeeper

Remember, this was a two headed question.

Do you treat church members the same as you treat non churchmembers?

Brother Bob, I wasn't really trying to be funny as this particular question is hitting quite close to home at the present time.

17. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In a way, yes, I guess we do treat church members differently. If we had to similiar calls, one a church member and one not, and only the funds to help one, we'd help the church member. I guess we feel that our main responsibility is to "our own." Is this worng?

18. Cailiosa

Cailiosa New Member

Definatly not, the church is to take care of it's people. But if I was in that situation I would split the money in half and try and help both. :)

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't think it's wrong, as the Church is for the believer.

20. menageriekeeper

Actually I don't think it is wrong for the church to take care of it's own first. That is why I was surprised to find that a friend's church(SBC) gave her the same form to fill out as they give to non members when she went to them in need. It's quite sad to me that she should hesitate to contact thier own church because of the humiliation of being asked why the church should help them. Not what her needs were, but why she thought her own church should help her. :(

#20 menageriekeeper, Jun 27, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2006