Charles Gibson And The Tornado

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by JFox1, Mar 1, 2007.

1. JFox1

JFox1
    Expand Collapse

While watching ABC World News with Charles Gibson this evening, Charles Gibson was talking with an official in Alabama regarding the tornado that struck a high school in Enterprise, Alabama, killing a number of students and teachers. Gibson asked two stupid questions. The first one was why the kids weren't sent home due to the bad weather. Kids are not sent home due to a tornado threat because that would put them in even greater danger if the storm struck while they were out in the open or in a vehicle. :BangHead:

The second stupid question that Charles Gibson asked, "Is that the worst thing that has ever happened to Enterprise?" He said that with a smirk on his face. I was disgusted. :mad:

I believe Charles Gibson should take up residence in Tornado Alley.

2. rbell

rbell
    Expand Collapse

a couple of weeks ago, when a student was killed from one of our local high schools, I was interviewed by one of our local Montgomery folks for a story on the deceased student. I was quite impressed at how he was respectul of the situation. His story was honoring to the student's memory.

This reporter, Bryan Henry, was on NBC nightly news tonight as he talked about the tragedy in Enterprise, AL. I could tell that he was shaken by all that had happened. It was obvious that he cared.

Contrast that with the attitudes that you often see by some of the national news folk...quite a difference.

Wasn't it Don Henley that did the song "Dirty Laundry?" How applicable...

3. D28guy

D28guy
    Expand Collapse

I remember seeing a clip where a young female reporter from some station was interviewing a survivor of the Hurrucan Katrina disaster. He was talking about seeing his wife lose grip and float away from him and how all his belongings are gone. You could tell she was only partially succeeding at holding back tears.

I dont know how I could have held it together talking to some of those folks who literally lost everything.

Mike

4. DeeJay

DeeJay
    Expand Collapse

As for the first question. You would not know the answer to that if you did not live in an area where tornados happen.

Charles Gibson always has that smirk. I would have to see the program to comment.

[​IMG]

#4 DeeJay, Mar 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2007
  5. Martin

Martin
    Expand Collapse

==Not only that in some areas they would have to cancel school at least once a week. When I was in middle school we spent nearly an hour in the hall one day. A tornado hit literally right down the street and several homes were damaged. Should they have sent us home? No, besides how could they? The wind was so strong they could not even open the doors.

I think this is the media, once again, trying to create a story. They are trying to turn tragedy into drama and entertainment. Shame on them!!

==Well I don't know that Charles Gibson has ever been accused of being smart.

6. StefanM

StefanM
    Expand Collapse

I wouldn't fault Gibson for asking the question. I heard several other news correspondents ask the question during interviews on CNN. I believe Anderson Cooper also asked the question (though I'm not 100% sure). Gibson may have been told to ask it.

7. mcdirector

mcdirector
    Expand Collapse

AND In this day of 24 hour news, some things are gonna be asked that aren't properly researched because the news has got to get on as it's happening.

I do have to agree though that people who haven't lived in a tornado prone area just don't understand that you stay where you are.

8. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper
    Expand Collapse

Actually, the question about why the students were at the school is not without merit.

In my part of Alabama, we build days into the school year just for days like yesterday. My kids were out of school at noon, well before the storms were due to hit. There are several different reasons for why we do this. The first is that a large portion of our parents tend to be storm wary here and we'd check our kids out on high risk storm days if the school system didn't close. We don't want to find ourselves in a situation like the parents in Enterprise, to where we don't know where our child is, is he/she hurt and we're on the other side of town and can't get to them.

Secondly, if the school is aware that there is the potential for tornadic activity and still chooses to keep school in session than the SCHOOL is responsible for the safety of the students. How long do you think it will be before the first lawsuit is filed against the Enterprise School District?

Now, we don't let out school on days when it is going to merely thunder and lightening. The weather guys have a good handle on how severe they think the storms will be and we pay attention to how severe they have been as they come across Mississippi. We also know how long it takes to get all the kids home with little notice. Usually parents get at least 2 hours notice that school will be released early and school is let out another 2 hours before the storms are due to hit. Since this is a regular policy for us now, the parents know to pay attention on days when the weather may be bad.

Give Gibson a break on this question. Folks up here in North Central Alabama have already been asking it.