1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Charles Ryrie dies

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Deacon, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Charles C. Ryrie Tribute [LINK]

Dr. Charles Caldwell Ryrie (b. 1925) has died only weeks before his ninety-first birthday. Dr. Ryrie taught Systematic Theology at Dallas Theological Seminary before serving as dean of doctoral studies for more than two decades until his retirement in 1983.

Charles Ryrie was born in St. Louis, Missouri, and grew up in Alton, Illinois. He attended First Baptist Church of Alton, where he was the fifth generation of his family there. Ryrie was also valedictorian of Alton High School, where he played the piano for his own commencement in January 1942, a mere six weeks after the attack on Pearl Harbor.

Leaving Alton to attend Stony Brook School on Long Island, Ryrie studied with noted evangelical educator Frank E. Gaebelein. Ryrie then entered Haverford College with the intention of studying math and music and the expectation that he would follow his father into banking. But before long, Ryrie left Haverford to attend DTS.

2. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for posting this.

3. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Wow! I didn't know he went to Stony Brook School!! That's right here in my neck of the woods and my brother went there!! I would have gone had we been able to afford it!