1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Charles Stanley and Calvinism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Martin, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe there were a few posters on these boards who were determined in their assertion that Charles Stanley is a Calvinist. Well folks, I now have solid proof that he is not a Calvinist. I knew he was not a Calvinist because of his teachings but now, as if to confirm that he is not a Calvinist, Dr. Stanley has signed up to do a conference at FBC-Jacksonville with Dr. Jerry Vines called "3:16". This conference is described as "a biblical and theological assessment of 5-point Calvinism. It will be helpful for preachers as well as lay people". The speakers include Drs. Stanley, Vines, Patterson, Land, and others. Sort of a "whos who" of general Baptists (ie...not Calvinist). Dr. Stanley will be preaching a sermon titled "John 3:16 to the entire world". I hope this lays to rest the silly assertion that Charles Stanley is a Calvinist. Stanley is a fine man of God and a wonderful preacher. However he is not, I repeat, not a Calvinist.

I guess nobody is perfect :laugh:

LINK

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never heard that he was a Calvinist. I have heard that he holds to Millenium Exclusion form three sources. I have not seen anything from him directly. It would be sad if this was true.

3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He's a semi-Calvinist. He's not a five-pointer, but full Arminians would reject his soteriology.

4. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True.
    Just as full Arminians (and by that I mean the classic Arminian) will reject most of what passes or is mistaken today as Arminianism.
    As for Stanley, he's a good preacher, and although I don't agree with his soteriology, I'd take him anytime over Hagee.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I've never heard of him being a calvinist, either. He's a "Free Gracer"...what I once considered myself, but once I truly understood the Millenial Exclusion eschatology/ two salvations soteriological heresy recently prohibited on this board, I cannot consider myself as such anymore.

#5 webdog, Mar 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2008
  6. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here, here on the first part!

Most of what passes as Arminianism is rank Pelagianism.

(Observing as a non-Calvinist, mind you.)

7. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We can't discuss that issue on these boards. However I did some research on Stanley's views on that. During the research I contacted In Touch Ministries. After reviewing the writings and sermons of Dr. Stanley on the relevant passages for me, they were still unclear of Dr. Stanley's views since he seems to contradict himself.

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you are saying his own ministry says he contradicts himself?

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Hi Web, what's a free gracer? I don't think I've ever heard of that.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

#10 webdog, Mar 6, 2008
  11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

12. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Letter From In Touch

Yep.

Here is the text of the letter itself. Please note that I have removed personal information.

Dated: Nov. 16, 2007

13. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course this has not affected my attitude towards Dr. Stanley. I have learned much from his various ministries. I also understand the problems that can occur when a person has such a large audio and written ministry. In my mind, I think Dr. Stanley's view of outer darkness is that it is hell. In writing his book Eternal Security: Can You Be Sure, Dr. Stanley was too depedent upon Zane Hodges (never a good thing). I think that is why there is a problem at this point. I think another problem is that a life-principles preacher tried to write a theology book.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What was your original question to them.

15. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Meet EdSutton - Exhibit "A". :thumbs:

Ed

16. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

webdog, let me offer that "Millenial Exclusion" eschatology, just as the so-called "crossless gospel" teaching are not held or taught by all believers in "free grace", and I, for one, reject both of these as abberations of the Scriptural teachings of "free grace".

And the truth of the teaching, is being polluted, by the false teachings that are being associated with, leading many to reject the idea.

Unfortunately, this is just one more case where too many want to "throw out the bably with the bathwater".

(I'll also toss in for free, here, that one who does not see that the teaching known as "Lordship salvation" does not attempt to 'backload" works into grace via the 'back door' approach, is also highly unlikely to ever really understand "free grace", IMO. A recent thread titled 100% Grace plus 10% works touched on this in the OP. Unfortunately, it did not get that deep into it, and got sidetracked along the way.)

Ed

#16 EdSutton, Mar 6, 2008
  17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

How would you describe your theology (?) of free grace?

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What's a bably? :)

I have come to the conclusion I don't like any moniker attached to my name except "Child of God" (and "non cal" :D). I agree with much of FG's soteriology, btw. I believe, like calvinism, if it's not taken as a whole...one cannot be called one.

19. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't recall and I can't find the email. The question was in reference to Dr. Stanley's statement in Eternal Security: Can You Be Sure which is quoted in the letter.

20. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Pentecostals, CoC, and other hyper-arminians call all OSAS people "calvinists", but other than that I don't see how anyone could mistake Stanly for a real Calvinist.