1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Charles Stanley & Mysticism

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Jul 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I think the keyword from the article posted....."megachurch", is probably the main kernel of consternation from the detractors.

2. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

A view of Charles Stanley's interview as perceived by slaveofJesusChrist

3. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You gave me no links.

4. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Avoid that Rev poster. He desires ATTENTION and giving him replies feeds that. I just ignore him.

#24 evangelist6589, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2013
  5. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    At last some credible data and not just accusations. I was actually defending Stanley, but its a shame that some posters here do not know how to read my posts.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I've heard directly from God and I don't believe I'm a mystic. God tells us that we will hear His voice. What's so strange about that?

7. Steadfast Fred

You see nothing mystical about a group of men telling you to close your eyes, imagine yourself as a baby and your father picking you up?

Since Charles admitted in the interview that he never knew the love of God before meeting with his friends, (despite the fact that he had been preaching for years) and never knew his father either, i would say his discovering what God's love was by imagining his father picking him up and hugging him could easily be understood as mystical.

#27 Steadfast Fred, Jul 9, 2013
  8. Steadfast Fred

How can one be saved and not know the love of God? The bible shows us the depth, height, width and length of His love in great detail.

9. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not all who treach that are "heretics", some such as the WoF and modern day prophets/Apostles/SDA etc, but Dr stanley would been seen by one like me as being a fellow brother in the lord, just with some faulty doctrines!

10. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

Why would any one say that God speaks to him other than through scripture? What motive do people like this have other than promoting themselves. Any time anyone makes such a claim, they are trying to take peoples eyes off of Christ and put the focus on themselves. Where will all of this lead ? Answer: down the same path as Richard Roberts And Oral Roberts when they see a sixty foot Jesus at the end of their bed or Richard being on a talk show and all of a sudden interrupts whoever is talking by saying God has just spoken a word to me.

11. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wish this was one of those boards where I could give you "reputation" points. I surely would for this post.

It's one thing to say that you believe God illuminated a given verse or passage, but anybody who thinks they receive extra-Biblical revelation is not only deceived, but is just begging for trouble on a whole number of levels.

Anytime you say "God told me...", that's serious. That means you're speaking on God's behalf and playing around, not only with His Word, but with His character. We no longer stone people for that, but there's nothing in the Bible to indicate that God takes it any less seriously than He ever did.

#31 JohnDeereFan, Jul 9, 2013
  12. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Same here. While it's true that he's playing around the edges of orthodoxy with some of his teachings, as of this moment, as far as I know, he's still a brother in Christ and is still in the camp. He's just wrong.

13. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe this is correct. It has been nearly 25 years since I read the book, but his book, "How to Listen to God," covers this I believe.

Having said that, I believe Stanley is absolutely correct because Jesus taught this very thing. It is also part of the biblical witness from Old to New Testament.

But before you condemn Stanley for this belief, take the opportunity to read his book and understand his position in context.

14. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbsup:

15. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's see how many non cals in this thread think that Stanley is a mystic?

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Not if it's in the right context. That's what I'd have to see.

17. HungryInherit

HungryInherit New Member

Christians trying to call out a great man for being a mystic. :laugh:
    Brothers and sisters we are ALL mystics! Are we not? I believe God hears and in some cases (has answered) my prayers. Do you not? I'm a baptist from womb to tomb but MAN y'all sure are on Charismatic neighborhood watch.

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'll tell you one story of hearing God's voice.

I had just experienced my second miscarriage after years of trying to have another child. We had gone to fertility doctors, I had some surgeries, many shots and now I had lost another much wanted child. So I cried out to God. I was ready to accept that I'd not have any more kids but I really wanted more and if we WERE going to have more, I'd look forward to them. I just prayed, "God, are we going to have more babies??" I absolutely heard him (not by my ears but by my heart) telling me that yes, I would have more babies but they would come to HIS glory and not the doctors. I spoke to my husband the next day and he said he had heard similarly in his prayer time. So we called the fertility doctor and said that we won't be coming in any more. I went to my OB for my checkup after the D&C and we told him what we were going to do. I wanted to get back on the diabetic medication that helped with the issues that I had from polycystic ovarian syndrome but that we would not take any more fertility drugs. He was all for it.

Then we went for prayer at church. We've had many couples prayed over for infertility and most of them have gone on to have children (one didn't but adopted). Interestingly enough, all of the first babies these couples had were boys.

I became pregnant with my son 5 months later.

When he was 18 months old, I thought I had an illness. Nope, it was his little sister.

God clearly told us we'd have another child but to HIS glory. He absolutely got the glory on this one because I knew every mechanical thing of getting pregnant down to the exact day I ovulate. My husband was away when I ovulated and was away long enough around it that I should not have been pregnant. :) But God is great - and He worked it out. LOL Not only that, He gave us our bonus baby!!!! Our miracles are now 10 and 12 years old. These were two pregnancies that I had with no fertility drugs. It was only with fertility drugs that I would ovulate. God is good. :) And there is no question He spoke to us.

19. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

So one revelation leads to another. Are you saying now that you became pregnant without the help of a man ?

20. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What and idiotic thing to say.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.