1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by NaasPreacher (C4K), Aug 13, 2005.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I RARELY go to the cinema, but went to see CCF today.

Thought the family focus in it was excellent. Any thoughts?

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

One of the lines dealt with spoilt girl, Veruca. When it came time to assess who was to blame it was put on her mom and dad for giving her everything she wanted.

For each of the bold children the parents shared the blame for how they turned out.

3. MargoWriter

MargoWriter New Member

I haven't seen it yet, Roger, but I'm sure it's great. [​IMG] I always liked the old version, and the book ...

And one year, when I was working at the uni library, our Christmas party theme was sort of a Willy Wonka spoof. It was a riot! The guy we had dressed as Willy was perfect. [​IMG]

4. mioque

mioque New Member

I saw it twice. It's noteworthy that the family focus in the new film is clearly stronger than in the book.

5. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Mrs B and I saw it on Tuesday. Overall, we enjoyed it but didn't like the flashback sequences or the ending as both were overly-sentimental and American. It was also very wierd hearing people with British accents use Americanisms like 'candy' and 'vacation'.

Also,is the resemblance to Michael Jackson deliberate? Johnny Depp is seriously, seriously creepy. If it's not deliberate, the release of the film this summer is surely very unfortunate timing. Or is just typical Tim Burton Gothic creepiness? Then again, Roald Dahl is a pretty creepy writer so I'd applaud that. I always found the original film quite disconcerting anyway (factories with smoky chimneys where the gates are always closed...). In fact I think you could get quite a good thesis out of Roald Dahl's imagination and influences. And then go and lie down in a very dark room...

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

Saw it loved it.

7. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me see if I can guess the Brit versions - would that be "sweets" and "on holiday?"

Thought Depp out-wierded Gene Wilder. But I am told this one was more true to the book in some ways. Loved the Indian gentleman doing all the Oompa-Loompas.

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Being "bi-cultural" I noticed that as well Matt. Overlooked it as I saw the pro-family theme develop.

9. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Give Debby a cigar! I don't mind Americans using Americanisms not do I mind Brits using British English; it was the mangling of the two that threw me.

10. Wife of One

Wife of One New Member

*coughs* I missed the ompa lumpa song LOL ....

11. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

I saw it and thought it was great. Johnny Depp is really very creepy but did an excellent job.

I never read the book so I'm not sure if the scene at the end of Willy Wonka in the room where everything is a half, but I would have liked to see that.

Overall, I thought it was very good.