1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Chauvanist Obama calls female reporter "sweetie"

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by NaasPreacher (C4K), May 18, 2008.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

STORY HERE

In the spirit of recent posts here dealing with the serious issues with Senator Obama I submit the above.

Senator Obama is clearly showing his true nature as a chauvinist and s*xist with no regard for women. He is not fit for the White House.

I think this indicates the low regard that he, with his Muslim sympathies, has for women.

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    PC no "chauvinist and s*xist with no regard for women" hardly proven yet. :wavey:

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Oh wait - is that my tongue stuck in my cheek?

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, the horror, the horror! :laugh:

5. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

The sweetie comment wasnt the issue. He made the female reporter feel unimportant. It was just condescending on Obama's part. You are right. It is a non-issue. But it shows his elitist mentality. And dont forgetCK4. You are the one who brought this non-issue up here on BB.:)

6. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah, how many people, both men and women, would like to be young enough to be called "Sweetie" again ... and it not mean, "nice old eccentric old coot." :laugh: I know I would. :laugh:

7. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Indeed! It once would have meant something entirely different when a pretty young woman would say "Isn't he cute?" Now it is followed by, "He reminds me of my grandpa!" :laugh:

8. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    " Oh wait - is that my tongue stuck in my cheek?"

Duno, can't tell from your tiny picture :laugh:

9. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now I know why I have been offended each time the ladies at the grocery store call me honey or sweetie. Next time they do it I will complain to the manager about his eliltist cashiers. :laugh:

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Hiding behind my sweetie :)

11. queenbee

queenbee Member

I think Ms. Tory Johnson in the article has hit the nail on the head...."each person has to decide if they are offended by the use of certain words, and to make it clear they are uncomfortable. If you don't like someone calling you sweetie, call them on it, but don't assume their intentions are bad. I think in general, whether politics or in the workplace, when we start policing spontaneity we're in trouble. And we should let people be themselves, and we should not assume the worst when somebody uses a word like sweetie."

The reporter says she wasn't offended - obviously she didn't think she had to call Obama on it, altho' to his credit, he did apologize afterwards.

Much ado about nothing. I agree with CTBoy - wish someone would call me sweetie in my old age :laugh:

12. donnA

donnA Active Member

A man calling a woman sweetie that he is not married too is not good. And why would any woman not mind her husband calling another woman sweetie.

13. Joe

Joe New Member

deleted post

#13 Joe, May 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2008
  14. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

jumping in with both my feet.

I call people honey and sweetie and sugar and sweetie pie (and well the list could go) on all the time. Granted most of them are 13 to 16 and when I go for a day with out calling said sweet products I am generally approached and asked if I am feeling poorly or if I'm mad at them.

BUT I do think that Donna has a valid point.

I also know that people in positions of importance are at times dismissive. I think that occassionally my students may have thought that I've been dismissive with them. Completely unintentional on my part - but I'm sure that something that was important to them, I didn't deem as important and brushed off or rushed through.