1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cherry Blossoms

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Crabtownboy, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I went to DC yesterday to see the cherry blossoms, and they were beautiful. But it was the people who impressed me greatly.

Walking around the Tidal Basin was like a United Nations. There were people from every walk of life, every shade of color, seemingly just about every nation in the world. All were having a good time. All, except tired toddlers, were smiling and having a good time. My thought was, Yes, this is America at its best welcoming people from all over, living together peacefully and having a good time together.

I also saw a glimpse of America as it will be in the future. I will not be around to see it, but it will happen. There were so many mixed-race couples, black and white, oriental and white, oriental and black, with their children walking and enjoying the beautiful weather and the beautiful blossoms. It was heart warming.

#1 Crabtownboy, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2014
  2. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

I love cherry blossom time, and jacaranda time, and pohutakawa time.....all blossoms remind me of how fragile our lives are and transient.....enjoy the moment.

Here, I am seeing the Autumn colours of the trees, and the most wonderful thing I have ever seen ........blue water! Until recently, I believed blue water was the reflection of the sky.....but I have seen and I believe!!!:godisgood:

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The cherry blossoms in DC are beautiful. When we lived there we had friends (many my wife and I would consider “family”) from various countries that had made America their home. A woman from Niger Africa was initially aloof towards us and we wondered why. Later, after we got to know each other, she explained that she was surprised of the lack of racism (she anticipated a level of racism that was absent upon her arrival as she was initially reluctant to speak with people of other races). I had never thought in terms of race and found that interesting. As I think of it, I believe if you pooled all of our friends at that time together, there probably would not have been a “majority race” among us. There are, of course, less “heartwarming” areas of D.C.