1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Chick-fil-A

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by freeatlast, Aug 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

This is not difficult. The governor did NOT restrict his speech. Cathey could come out tomorrow and say he hates red headed Irishmen. Nobody would stop him. There would be blowback from red headed Irishmen and their supporters, but he is free to speak his peace.

2. mandym

mandym New Member

You are right this is not difficult. Regardless of his ability to speak freely the government tried to enforce consequences because of his speech. Facing consequences means censorship.

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Your not getting it so it must be difficult. No one at any time can restrict anyone's speech IF they have enough courage to go ahead say what they want. The problem is that the governor by his words is saying to him if you say that stuff we do not want you here. That is putting a monetary threat on the owners to keep them silent and that is limiting free speech. The warning of not coming to that city because of what the owner says is censorship by coersion.

4. Chessic

Chessic New Member

You're not arguing free speech with a person that supports abortion are you? :p

The way the mayors and governors handled this blowup is telling; they immediately threaten to use power they do not have. hmm.

I believe today was supposed to be the counter protest day, with the "kiss-in" and all that. I arrived at a Chik-fil-A in an indoor mall as two women, who, though I don't know for sure, appeared to be a lesbian couple were leaving the area. They looked dejected. I don't know if there were any intrusive protests or just kissing in front of the store. I'm hoping this whole incident helps to drive some in the gay community away from the hate and anger so many of them feel, and back to God.

5. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another Precinct Heard from

in this case it's the ACLU as quoted in The Chicken Inquisition, Jay Richards and James Robison, The Wall Street Journal, Aug. 3, 2012, page A11:
    A "progressive" knows they've stepped in it when the ACLU takes them to task over what they've done or said.

6. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

All speech comes with consequences. That's why we're encouraged by scripture to take great care with our words.

When there are legal consequences to free speech and rules governing what one can and cannot say, apart from the obvious of lying, yelling fire when there is none, etc., that's when free speech becomes threatened.

Your choice of words may cost you a job, anger some, cause you to lose friends or be rejected in your social circle at church or private life, and it may also get you promoted at your job, help you gain friends, get you accepted, all that stuff. That's okay.

Now if it gets you fined, imprisoned, or harassed by law enforcement, that's not okay.

Free speech. Great. Having enough self control to not use it ways that makes you a jerk...even greater, though we all fail occasionally.

7. IANMO(IAMNTMYOWN)

IANMO(IAMNTMYOWN) New Member

Did you try to hand them a track or at least pray for them when they walked past? This whole mess of government intervention in this case is unconstitutional obviously. Gay marriage is unbiblical obviously. And we can rant about it all we want, but what are we doing about it as Christians? I'm not accusing you of not doing anything, because you never said that you didn't. Maybe we'll never hold public office or have a grandous position that gives us a the place to have a loud voice, but there are daily opportunities to "make a difference" in this current heated issue. If all Christians took the opportunities that God gave us, then it is highly possible that we could hold a stronger sway in this issue.

8. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

For those who think this way, I wonder if they ever considered raising their children with political leadership in mind for them, should they show an interest or oblige towards being led that way. Patrick Henry College sounds like such a wonderful place: http://www.phc.edu/about.php

I'm not trying to change the topic, simply pointing out that with enough initiative, we as Christians could likely have a lot more "voice" in how this nation functions.

9. IANMO(IAMNTMYOWN)

That's a good point. I'm not sure how you get that I would not encourage my children to pursue careers of leadership, as that was not my point at all. It is important to take a stand and have a godly influence in every way we can.

10. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

If I made that implication, I apologize. It was not my intention.

I saw an opening in the conversation to point out how there are opportunities for Christians to get into those higher positions, which so many of us think we can't, and went for it. :thumbs: If I hadn't home schooled, I likely would never have known such a place existed.

Those little things we can do are very important, yet I also like to encourage people to dream BIG when it comes to Christians being able to have an impact on our society since it's so easy to get discouraged when we see the majority of political power being wielded by those who don't share our beliefs.

11. IANMO(IAMNTMYOWN)

Amen, sister:thumbsup:

12. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

You missed the point, Dan Cathy is free to exercise his 1st Ammendment rights.

13. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Well DUH! That's exactly what I said. :rolleyes:

14. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My wife saw this on a Facebook discussion: "If you're not gonna eat at Chick-fil-A because the founder is anti-homosexual, does that mean you're gonna stop buying gas snce the leaders of OPEC are islamists, and islam says homosexuals are to be put to death?"

15. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Makes sense to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.