1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Chick Publications

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Sep 9, 2004.

1. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can only guess you cross-posted with natters; he certainly provides specifics, just from one tract (although it may be among Jack's wildest.)

One he didn't mention was the following regarding the break between Rome and Henry VIII (whose tract against the Lutherans won him the title Defender of the Faith, which QE 2 still sports):

"English royalty rebelled against the pope's authority as 'the only lawful ruler of the world' (temporal power).

Bishop: What do I tell His Holiness?

Henry VIII: I won't do it!"

Now, anyone with a smattering of English history knows this is, at the least, disingenuous. Henry broke with Rome because Pope Clement VIII would not annul Henry's marriage with Catharine of Aragon so the king could marry again and produce a male heir. (This was not an unusual request; many other royal marriages had been ended that way. What complicated matters for Clement was that the Holy Roman Emperor, Charles V, was Catharine's nephew and was firmly ensconced in Italy, much to Clement's discomfort. And with good reason: Charles sacked Rome in 1527.)

Henry, of course, remained theologically Roman Catholic to the end of his days.

2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    From The Story Teller, Chick Publications, 1985:

"The Roman Catholic leaders also hated the Jews, and the children of Ishmael.

They built convents and monastaries everywhere they saw a true Christian community. Their plan was to raise up an Arab army to destory the Christians and Jews, and capture Jerusalem ...

... The Vatican carefully created a new religion for the children of Ishmael by using a mixture of Babylonian, Jewish and Roman Catholic tradition plus the manuscripts of their corrupted Bible.

During the fourth century, the powerful Roman Catholic teacher, Augustine, appeared in North Africa ... He reworked the gospel, and pretended to be a Christian and a great apostle of Christ. His writings became famous.

Two hundred years after his death, the Vatican began telling the Arab world (through their deep agents) that a great leader was about to appear."

Well, you get the flavor, I think. It goes on to say (quoting Alberto Rivera) that the Vatican recruited and groomed Muhammed.

Later on we're told that the Jesuits chose a Muslim to shoot John Paul II "to guilt-induce the Muslim world, brining them still close to the Roman Catholic faith!"

Yeah, I see that happening. If the Jesuits are so smart and powerful, how come they keep making such stupid mistakes?

3. mioque

mioque New Member

Sspinko52
    "you know, if i'm trying to hide something, do you think that i'm going to put it out there for everyone else to see?"
    ''
    Interesting detail I did get to see evidence that one conspiracy theory about the RCC isn't true. There is a story that on the pope's tiara the words Vicarius Filii Dei are written. Vicarius Filii Dei, when numerised using the roman numeral value of certain letters, produces the total of 666. Pointing out the pope as the beast of the book of revelations.
    * V -- 5
    * I -- 1
    * C -- 100
    * A
    * R
    * I -- 1
    * U -- 5
    * S
    * F
    * I -- 1
    * L -- 50
    * I -- 1
    * I -- 1
    * D -- 500
    * E
    * I -- 1
    * TOTAL -- 666
    Thanks to Hans I've visited the Papal sacristy in the 80's (normally not open to the general public) and got a good look at all of the pope's tiaras (all of them are stored there, with the exception of one that is on public display in the US). No Vicarius Filii Dei in sight.

4. mioque

mioque New Member

One more reason to distrust Jack Chick.
    http://www.chick.com/ask/articles/otherlanguages.asp

"look at the NIV: That perversion is being translated all over the world, and it is STILL the NIV! The NVI in Spanish, for example, is not very different at all from the NIV. The Dutch, French and other versions are still NIVs! And the NIV is most definitely an English Bible."
    "
    For the record there is NO Dutch NIV in existance. There also is no Bible translated from the English NIV into French or Spanish.

There is one Bibbleversion available in Dutch translated from an English version and that is the NWT, yup it's the Bible of the Jehovah's Witnesses...

5. natters

natters New Member

Sspinko52 said "I'm going away now."

Don't go away. [​IMG]

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

As Christians we're required to call a brother on his transgressions. How you can excuse his sin of bearing false witness is beyond me.

If a child molester wins someone to the Lord, is he then no longer responsible for his sins?

The Great Commission neither absolves anyone of their transgressions, nor it is an excuse for anyone to commit transgressions.

It's truly amazing that you will defend the lies of Jack Chick by placing the blame on all of us. Kind of like when a girl in high school gets raped, and everyone ends up blaming the girl instead of the perpetrator.

A message that contains falsehoods is not an appropriate message for witness.

No one in this post has made any statements that are worthy of rebuke.

Sorry to hear that. Perhaps if you stayed, you'd see the error in Jack Chick's garbage. Then again, if you have not seen it so far, you're likely to not see it at all.

Oops! Now you tell me!!

If we were to let the man's sins go, we'd be guilty of taking part in the same sin.
    Then perhaps Jack Chick can carry out the Great Commission without resorting to violating the Ten Commandments.

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Amusing isn't it. I suppose that the reason the RCC killed thousands of Muslims during the Crusades and Inquisitions was to cover up this "fact". Amasing. Jack Chick truly is a deceiver.

I'm waiting for a CHick tract that says the Catholic Church is responsible for Area 51. Or did I miss that one already?

8. Sspinko52

Sspinko52 New Member

Johnv -
    -------------------------------------------------
    I'm waiting for a CHick tract that says the Catholic Church is responsible for Area 51. Or did I miss that one already?
    -------------------------------------------------
    LOL!!! Dude, that was funny! [​IMG] (See, I can laugh with "the enemy") [​IMG]

9. Sspinko52

Sspinko52 New Member

Funny thing though, it's okay for you guys to point out Jack Chick's "sins", yet he's a "hater" and intolerent for doing the same thing when he writes a tract dealing with the sins of others. (I know, I know, he's a "deceiver" and a liar and a fraud and has no place for pointing out people's sins. Aren't we all to a degree?) But he's still called a hate monger for pointing out other's sins in a tract. Isn't this kind of contradicting? "I'll point out your sins but don't you dare tell others (sinners) that they are living in sin." Sounds like hatred to me. (not really, just poking fun at you)

Also, I believe that the catholic web site that refutes Bro. Jack accuses him of fraudulently illustrating tracts...just b/c he uses someone other than himself to do the artistry, he's the one that writes the words. Also, I understand that it's okay to claim ownership of a publication if someone allows you to claim their work as your own. i.e. - If I write a paper, and give you permission to use excerpts (sp) in a paper that you too are writing, then you can claim the entire paper as your own work. Then in that case it's not plagerism. I wonder if it's the same for illustrating also?

Well natters, I WAS going away... [​IMG] Guess that makes me a liar.

10. mioque

mioque New Member

Sspinko52
    "yet he's a "hater" and intolerent for doing the same thing when he writes a tract dealing with the sins of others."
    "
    It is fine to point out the sins of others (allthough it's not much of a challenge, facing up to your own sins is), the problem starts when one accuses others of sins they've not committed. Chick does that.

"I believe that the catholic web site that refutes Bro. Jack accuses him of fraudulently illustrating tracts...just b/c he uses someone other than himself to do the artistry, he's the one that writes the words."
    "'
    It is normal to give seperate credits for the author of a tract and the illustrator of the same tract/comic. It is not unheard of for it not to happen (even among much bigger players in the industry than Chick), but it is bad form.

"Also, I understand that it's okay to claim ownership of a publication if someone allows you to claim their work as your own. i.e. - If I write a paper, and give you permission to use excerpts (sp) in a paper that you too are writing, then you can claim the entire paper as your own work. Then in that case it's not plagerism."
    ''
    No dice. You use somebody else's work in your paper and don't mention that fact in that paper that's plagiarism.

11. Sspinko52

Sspinko52 New Member

No, it's not plagerism if the original author gives you permission to quote his work as your own. But, he/she has to give you permission to claim it as your own.

12. firedome

firedome New Member

Hmmm, let's ee here. An organization openly accredited to executing millions of people and not repenting of said executions. Sounds like the NAZI party, or maybe the Communist party under Stalin, no, its the HRC! I wonder if Jack Chick measures up to this insideousnous?

13. mioque

mioque New Member

Sspinko52
    "No, it's not plagerism if the original author gives you permission to quote his work as your own."
    ''
    You are right when it comes to certain commercial products. I was thinking (wrong in this context) about my university days.
    My old professors would have strangled me if they found out I had passed of other people's work as my own even if I had their permission.

14. mioque

mioque New Member

firedome
    "An organization openly accredited to executing millions of people and not repenting of said executions."
    ''
    For the record the Roman Catholic Church has never been in the genocide bussiness. It has numerous times played chearleader while secular governments allied with it did monstrous deeds, but that is where it ends.
    Sorry no executing of millions by the RCC.

An interesting article about one field in which the RCC is usually accused of massmurder: the Witchhunts.
    http://www.cog.org/witch_hunt.html

15. firedome

firedome New Member

mioque,
    Are you an informed Baptist? Or is it that you choose to accept the past and so to speak "let bygones as bygones"? One is not to remember forgiven sins, but how does reconcile forgiveness with the lack of repentance? The HRC has by its own account never repented of its actions in the inquisition. You say that the HRC has never participated in such acts! This is an outrageous comment due to the fact that I would rather believe one who was present during such a time (John Foxe) rather than one who merely views history through a rose colored glass. But, I will further my comments with something more recent:

Threats of Renewed persecution in East Timor
    Christinas in Aileu, which lies 30 miles south of the capital, Dili are living under stress due to renewed threats. There are 2,000 people, distributed among 17 small chapels. The largest chapel, with some 400 Christians, is pastored by Pedro Soares, who has been in that chapel for 20 years. Below is the text of a letter written in Tetum, which was sent to Pastor Pedro.

WARNING ANNOUNCEMENT

We would like to inform all the people in Aileu that there are already some oppurtunists in our midst...They infiltrated into Aileu with the objective to create dissension among us[Catholics]. They include people from Atauro...who have come and stayed illegally in our district. We urge you not to ignore this issue, because when we suffered, these people laughed. Now they are back here again to divide us. We have had a meeting to discuss this issue and we have asked them to leave Aileu as soon as possible. If not, when the UNMISET (United Nations Mission of Support in East Timor) terminates its mission in East Timor in May, we promised to stage violent actions against these people. We have advised those like Pastor Pedro not to be surprised when the people in Aileu start to beat or kill some of them [Evangelical Protestants] when they see them come...for their conversin. This letter is an advanced warning and to remind all of you not to believe in what these dogs say.

This was taken directly from The Sword & Trowel 2004 no.2 page 3. Sounds like a cheerleader, but not the cheerleader your trying to sell here with your garbage.

16. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Hitler was a liar and a deceiver and a fraud. Should we give him a free pass as well, just becauser we all are to a degree? The fact that I'm a sinner doesn't excuse my sin, nor does it excuse the sins of Jack Chick.

17. mioque

mioque New Member

firedome
    "Are you an informed Baptist?"
    "
    I've got a degree in churchhistory and the RCC is my specialty does that count?

"I would rather believe one who was present during such a time (John Foxe)"
    "
    His book of martyrs is very much a propaganda piece, let's just say it's inaccurate a lot of the time.

As for that piece of hatemail you copied from the Sword & Trowel. Something along the lines of: Bishop murders evangelical minister on the orders of the pope, posted from say the BBC website would be relevant to this discussion, thS&T piece is not.

18. Sspinko52

Sspinko52 New Member

Mioque -
    So, apparently anyone who opposes the Roman Catholic Church is a liar (and a heretic). That's what I'm getting here. Jack Chick is a misinformed liar, John Foxe is a misinformed liar. Oh bother! I think I understand what's going on here now. Are you a plant? You're on this message board just to defend the Catholic church, aren't you. C'mon, admit it.

To Johnv - c'mon dude, you've taken what I've said out of context. Now your comparing Jack Chick to Hitler? You're a trip! That's really funny. Your response was a bit extreme, don't you think?

19. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

I followed the link to the Cornerstone article about "Alberto". If one would read ALL THE WAY TO THE END they find that the author and his publisher are pro Catholic. They even go so far as to agree with the moniker "seperated brethren". They also see nothing wrong with uniting with catholics for study and fellowship. Although they do advise one to be 'aware of' its doctrines opposed to "evangelicalism" they nevertheless , do not advise seperation from this godless institution.
    Therefore, IMO their article 'exposing' "Alberto" is suspect from the start. Apparently they have an agenda which is not conducive to truth.
    Can you say, "Mother church"?
    Just FYI.
    In His service;
    Jim

20. Rooster

Rooster New Member

Nope, a lot of the books, and teachers for that matter ,that teach those lies, and garbage, are not creditable, and fill perfectly good minds with lies. Most of that trash is written by the RCC, of coarse they are going to print things to make them look good, why would they admitt to mass-murder? it doesn't take a genius to figure that one out. All it proves is you wasted a lot of good time, that you could have spent more constructivly. Just like i could have spent more time learning how to spell :D , but what can i say I still love you sister, no matter how miss guided you are, and I will be praying for you [​IMG]