1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Chief Justice Dies

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Brother Ian, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

Chief Justice William Rehnquist died yesterday evening.

http://www.foxnews.com/

Are we going to have two justices that won't get an up or down vote now? Word is the President may elevate Judge Roberts' nomination from Supreme Court judge to Chief Justice.

2. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just want to say that Chief Justice Rehnquist voted against Roe v. Wade at the time and that he was quite a man.

3. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

I couldn't imagine the president would move Rpbert's with only two years experience as a judge to Chief Justice, I would think he would promote one of the current justices to Chief Justice and nominate someone else to replace them. The SCOTUS starts their next session in October, will both Roberts and whoever else the president nominates both be confirmed in time?

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know if Bush has sufficient political capital to fight over 3 nominations at this time. This makes me think that either he'll elevate Roberts or nominate a new person for CJ.

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Looks like we can expect the Senate to be embroiled in partisan bickering and character assissination for the next three months.

And almost nothing else.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. The court will have only eight justices for a while.

Although, if President Bush did not use Roberts to replace O'Connor, but instead nominated him for chief justice to replace Rehnquist, then O'Connor could stay on until a replacement for her is approved by the U.S. Senate since she will not retire until that is accomplished.

7. Brother Ian

Looks my prediction came true. The president elevated Judge Roberts' nomination to Chief Justice to replave Rehnquist. He'll quickly move to nominate someone to replace Jusctice O'Connor.

8. billwald

billwald New Member

The Republicans have already lost the next election. If bush is smart he will try to push through a sneaker candidate who will revert to Republican control.

9. Brother Ian

I wouldn't count then out just yet.