1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Child Molesters inour churches

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by North Carolina Tentmaker, Apr 2, 2004.

1. North Carolina Tentmaker

I have a question. What do you do, what safeguards do you have in place, to protect the children in your church from sexual predators. A church in my area was in the headlines again this week because they had a member arrested for molesting another member of their church. This is the third time that this has happened at this particular church that I know of.

Now it is a given fact that churches in general and specifically churches that have active children's programs, run buses, and operate Christian schools (all of which this large IFB church does) are going to attract pedophiles. Those that would harm our children are going to be drawn to these types of ministries and see them as hunting grounds to find their next victims. The man arrested in this particular case was not an employee of the church or school but a Sunday school teacher and volunteer coach.

What are you doing to ensure this does to happen to your ministry and to the children entrusted to your care?

2. Karen

Karen Active Member

In my church, you have to be a member for six months and have a background check to work with children. Also, teachers work in pairs.

The pair system is in effect in my kids' Scout troops, too.

Karen

3. Jeffrey H

Jeffrey H New Member

We have a policy that requires background checks before anyone can work with children. Our church's education team (committee) is responsible to make sure that all children's workers meet this requirement.

We also make sure that a minimum of 2 adults are present with the children at all times.

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

In my church, when I was a Sunday School teacher, we had to undergo a background check as well. They preferred we work in pairs, but when necessary, we worked alone. I was one of the few teachers who had a class alone. I eventually got a high school aged girl as a helper, though.

I did that for five years, and it was incredibly rewarding.

5. superdave

superdave New Member

Careful policies about the number and type of leaders that can work in each class. I think we had to fill out an application form to work with kids, and it asked questions about any convictions or accusations of such behavior.

If you have any concerns about ways to safeguard your church, Speaking to your insurance company would probably be helpful, I believe they essentially laid out exactly what policies should be in place to protect the church from liability. Those policies usually also will protect your children from any potential predators.

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Your insurance company can give great ideas of what policies and practices they would like you to have in place.

7. onestand

onestand New Member

Daycare centers are required to run child abuse backround and criminal backround checks, it's good for churches to do the same. Also, my church the classroom interal walls are even windows so each class can see the other.

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Church Mutual gives a discount on insurance if a well-developed program of background checks is instituted for all workers.

They gave us sample forms, letters for writing to references, etc. It worked well.

9. North Carolina Tentmaker

Thanks for all the posts on this topic.

There seems to be a consensus that we need background checks and I would agree. I am afraid though that many churches will not do this or even if they do not do it consistently.

I pulled my children out of a Christian School one time because we found that they did not do any checks on their teachers. To many times we depend on the system of family and local reference and assume people are honest. There are some wolves out there among the sheep.