1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Children's books recommendations?

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by SaggyWoman, Jan 7, 2004.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I just finished reading a children's book by Paterson called Bridge to Terabithia, dealing with death of friends. It was a good book.

Any others?

2. Molly

Molly New Member

The lamplighter books are wonderful!

We love the Basket of Flowers
    Hedge of Thorns
    Mary Jones and her Bible
    Teddy's Button

You can find these at www.lamplighterpublishing.com

They are all good,but these are our favorites.

Also,the series on Elsie Dinsmore are incredible.

My daughters also love Anne of Green Gables. We have the DVD movies,too.

Molly

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The "Little House on the Prarie" series is great, especially for the younger girls. I enjoyed reading it to my kids as much as they enjoyed hearing it.

"The Secret Garden" by Frances Hodgson Burnett, (It is better than the recent movie which was infused with spiritualism).

My favorites include Beauty, a retelling of the story of Beauty and the Beast By Robin McKinley, (Harper & Row, 1978) A pre-Disney retelling of the classic story, a little to wordy for young kids but teens would love it!

Another favorite is Chaim Potok's, The Chosen about a young orthodox Jew and a Hasidic Jew who befriend each other. (I have a signed copy by the author). Again it would be for a teen level reader.

A high school student just has to read T.H. White's The Once and Future King My SAT scores shot up after reading the book, so many of the vocabulary words used on the test (at the time I took the test [​IMG] ) are used in the book. It again is a pre disney telling of the King Arthur story, much of the disney movie "The Sword and the Stone" was taken from this book.

These suggestions should keep you busy for the next month or so [​IMG]

Rob

4. Tim

Tim New Member

OK, I have a lot of suggestions, but let me put in a shameless plug for my own work first. If you like fun, exciting stories for first chapter book readers try the Mice series. For the same spirit for older readers, try Dust River Gulch:
    For more info:

https://secure.bju.edu/mall/catalog/StoreFront.asp?VendorID=bjupt

Then type in the key words tim davis for a full listing of my work.

While you're there you can check out my wife's Christian biographies under rebecca davis.

One of my favorite newer children's books (outside the family) is "Because of Wynn-Dixie"

Tim

5. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Anything by Hal Lindsey. [​IMG]

6. SBGrace

SBGrace New Member

Little Pilgrims Progress... You can find it online.... It's great for kids!