1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

choir robes

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Ps104_33, Oct 2, 2004.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

I thought this would be a more appropriate place to post this topic as I would like to hear from the more fundamnental on this subject.
    I have been involved in the ministry of music since I first go saved. Choir, solos duets quartets, cantatas, etc. In
    The Baptist church I am presently attending use choir robes. I dont have a problem with robes although I felt wierd when I first put it on.
    What I would like to know is does your church use choir robes? If so why? If not, why not? Are they biblical?

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Been in both types. Robes simply make the choir uniform-looking and NOT showing the vast differences and colors and styles of clothing.

They are modest (some people dress poorly for church) too.

In churches without robes, we have dress codes (men wear coat/tie), women wear longer dresses.

Judges wear robes to show a distinction from the rest of court. Some pastors do as well, divorcing themselves as individuals from the sacred pulpit position.

Don't think that is an issue with choir.

3. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

No, we don't use them - probably a matter of money, and even if we had them, folks would feel weird wearing them!

(In other words - we've never done it that way!)

4. delly

delly New Member

We have choir robes although we don't wear them every Sunday; mostly just for special occasions like the Christmas Cantata or Easter. I think they make the choir look more professional. [​IMG]

I can see where cost would be prohibitive in smaller churches.

5. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have them, but don't typically wear them in the months that may be particularly warm, as this makes some folks uncomfortable in our un-air conditioned sanctuary.

With the changes coming toward a more non-traditional type of music and worship, I'm afraid they may end up permanantly in the closet except on special occaisions.

Another "tradition" bites the dust. Oh well, Praise the Lord and pass the tambourine!

6. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Hello Debbie,
    Im an old Philly boy myself. Just moved down here to the sunshine state a little over a year ago. Kinda miss the city of brotherly shove.... I mean love. ;) Really miss the Phillies!

7. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Our choir does not wear robes, we have dress codes (men wear coat/tie), women wear longer dresses.

I don't have a problem with robes, we've just never done it and they wouldn't have anything to do with the sound...

I'm sure the cost and upkeep have something to do with it.

8. Jason Garrett

Jason Garrett New Member

16, why can't a man or woman wear what they want, as long as its decent? I mean, are you putting on a production to entertain people, or are you leading them in worship? I just don't get the dress code thing.

9. USChurchPlanter

USChurchPlanter New Member

as I travel, I have seen churches with robes and churches without. Some without have had immodestly dressed people on display, others without have had very appropialtey dressed people singing. I suppose that if you don't have robes, then you definitley need a strong dress standard. (should have on even if you do have robes too, by the way)

10. Jason Garrett

Jason Garrett New Member

USCP, in the last church I was a member, the standard for singing in the choir leading the congregation in prayer, or whatever, was suit and tie for mena dn long dress, hose, for women.

One Sunday evening I had come directly from work wearing jeans and a polo shirt, and they wouldn't let me participate. I soon thereafter left that church due to the obvious legalism.

My point is dress codes can be very dangerous. In this instance, I was dressed modestly, but it obviously wasn't good enough to the "powers" that be.

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Some churches simply cannot afford robes. Others choose to use the money elsewhere.

12. USChurchPlanter

USChurchPlanter New Member

I am not suggesting that a church impose irregulary stringent dress codes, just require modesty for service or involvement, a reasonable request I think.

13. Gib

Gib Active Member

We have them. We wear them off and on.
    We have them cleaned 2x a year. Many
    choir members want to sit with family
    members for the message. It's easier to
    get down and seated without the robes.

We are modestly presentable without them.