1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cholsterol

Discussion in 'Health and Wellness' started by evangelist6589, Jun 22, 2016.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My cholesterol was a little high after a blood test, however no plaque in my arteries so that is good. This can lead to heart disease, and although I have no signs or symptoms of cancer, I suspect heart disease can be just as bad if not worse. So what foods do you think are high in cholesterol? Doctor told me to avoid foods high in carbs (pasta's, breads, etc), but why did she tell me to avoid Soda's and candy when they are not high in carbs? What is worse for my diet, sweets or rich pasta's? Teeth are fine so I do not eat enough sweets to cause damage there.

2. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

Sweets contribute to higher cholesterol. We tend to think of this coming from meats, fat, dairy instead of coming from sweets as well.

3. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Doctor said its better to drink skim, or low fat milk in the area of dairy. Perhaps once a week I could have some whole chocolate milk to get my fill, but not daily. She also said to eat foods such as chicken and fish. Perhaps I need to do this more often and up my fish oil intake.

Grandpa died of bad nutrition, but he was lazy and did not want to change his habits. I do want to change.

PS- Doctor never said anything about organic milk being healthier for me over regular milk, so that may be all hype to get me to spend more money.

4. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

I eat sweets on occasion, but not often. If they are in the house then there is the temptation. As for milk, cannot do it so avoid it although I do like milk. We love cheese. I'm pretty much a protein person, like meat. Refined carbs I can live without though, yet sometimes we eat too many and then get back off of them.

5. MsGuidedAngel

MsGuidedAngel Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have too see my doctor tomorrow 7/11/2016 for my health and my cholesterol!!

I also just this year have Ischemic optic neuropathy in my right eye, thus I cannot see out it right now!!

Our True God's LOVE is Stronger than satans hate and lies!!

Love Always and Shalom, YSIC \o/

Kristi Ann

6. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I mix krill oil in with the fish oil. It's more expensive than fish oil, but it helps and has a powerful antioxidant too.

Sent from my SM-S766C using Tapatalk

7. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Huh? They are very high in carbohydrates. Have you looked at the label of your favorite fruity alco-pop? Thirty something carbohydrate grams!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Santha

Santha Administrator
    Administrator

Fish oil pills and garlic pills can do the magic.
    Adding garlic to food helps.
    Garlic is a cholestrol buster, has a bad rap for his smell but has great medicinal power.
    Some of the garlic pills have fresh herbs like mint oil added to them to avoid smelly burps.
    Its a good thing to avoid the amount of deep fried food consumed.
    Try this for a 2-3 weeks, you will see noticeable difference.

9. HappyMole

HappyMole New Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If you want to avoid high cholesterol foods, you must refrain from eating too much fatty foods, meat and dairy products . Focus on natural foods rather than processed meals. Make sure that any food must be taken in moderation.

10. liafailrock

liafailrock Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Cholesterol is over-hyped and IMO the medications are the biggest modern day scam in the pharmaceuticals, and it pains me to see Christians taken in by worldly systems that merchandise off of people.

What to eat? Stay natural, the way the bible teaches. That includes animal foods which the systems demonized. You can have meat, yes even red meats but it's best if it comes from cattle well fed. Me thinks the problem with red meat is not the cholesterol and saturated fats, but the way the animals are fed and those impurities and poor nutrition in the animals. As for fats, anything processed is bad. Stay away from polyunsaturated fats in corn oils, cottonseed, and other such oils like canola. Same with the what I call the "new sugar" which is corn sweeteners. Butter over margarine, entire eggs over egg substitutes, you get the idea, and also lots of vegetables -- fruits are OK as long as you don't overdo the amount as you can overdo the sugars, at least until one's health improves before taking more. Also avoid breads and pastas which tend to be highly processed with nutrients stripped out although taking a vitamin B complex may buffer that somewhat. Think bible and Kosher, too. I avoid shellfish (which means I avoid krill oil supplements but get the fish oil from scaly fish). And pork, bacon, etc is a no-no. If people knew what those animals eat, they'd clearly understand why they get inflammation in their arteries in which the cholesterol is getting blamed trying to fix them. This is important pre-vitamin D, and if you eat less cholesterol, your body will make more. If you eat more, the body makes less. So it all averages out. And this is what I believe about cholesterol meds. If you have a 260 cholesterol and die within two years from clogged arteries, you know what happens if you get it down real low like 150 on meds? You'll still die within 2 years from clogged arteries except your cholesterol will be a lot lower and so will your bank account. LOL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    They're not? Soda is pure sugar water with a little flavoring. And candy is just sugar wrapped in chocolate. Sugar is a carb. The worst kind of carb.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was diagnosed Type 2 diabetic in 2,000 so I have 17 years diet experience.
    As liafailrock said, cholesterol is nothing to worry about - the body needs it for its cell structure & makes it if you don't get it in your food.
    If you are given statins for cholesterol, expect muscle pains to develop. I gave them up after a few months - over 12 years ago. My total cholesterol is high, but my general health is excellent & scans (for an research project) show I have no heart problems.
    Your doctor is right to advise cutting down carbohydrates, including sugars.
    I followed medical advice - a low fat, whole-grain carb diet for 8 years until serious health problems caused me to look on the internet for help. The advice from experience was low carb & increased fat. I was out of pain & playing tennis again in 3 months. That was 9 years ago. I'm 78.
    But of course I cannot give medical advice, only advice from experience.
    You could look at Exploring "The Great Cholesterol Myth"

• Like Like x 1