1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Choose the three that do not belong

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by thjplgvp, Jun 25, 2006.

?
  1. Bailey, Alice

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Dyer, Wayne

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  3. Jampolsky, Jerry

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. Kennedy, James

8 vote(s)
    44.4%
  5. Monroe, Bill

7 vote(s)
    38.9%
  6. Schuller, Robert

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  7. Stanley, Charles

8 vote(s)
    44.4%
  8. Walsh, Neil

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  9. Warren, Rick

11 vote(s)
    61.1%
  10. Williamson, Marianne

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

For years many churches including Baptist have been leaning toward easy believeism or even Armenianism without truly understanding they were or are doing so. I could give the names of many who hold to “say this prayer and you will be saved” ideology based on the question “would you like to go to heaven?” Like who doesn’t want to go to heaven, and if I can get there by saying a prayer and continuing to live as I do what have I got to lose, after all it’s a win win situation?

Because so many churches and pastors have passed from easy believeism to an easier believeism we now have churches that have removed not only repentance from salvation but sin and conviction as well. In fact many now teach that if you worship God and believe in yourself and what God can do in you and with you then together you can accomplish great dreams.

In the following poll there are three names that, based on my current study, do not belong on that list. I am greatly interested in seeing if anyone else is seeing what I see or perhaps some can pick up the intent of the poll and can add names to the list that I was not aware of.

At the end of three weeks I will give my purpose and reasoning for the poll. Thank you in advance for your participation.

thjplgvp

2. gekko

gekko New Member

in three weeks??

i can't stand the suspense...

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It's evident what the purpose is for: everyone who is not a calvinist is wrong, everyone who is is right.

4. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

re: calvanism

webdog,

I would not waste my time with Calvinistic debate. You are wrong. The ideology expressed by those in my poll is potentially much more dangerous to biblical believers not based on theology but based word meanings.

5. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

I don't know who Bill Monroe is but I selected him via process of elimination, along with Charles Stanley and James Kennedy. The rest of the list are New Agers, some more heavily involved than others.

:Fish:

6. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Re:New Age

Bingo:praise:

Almost everyone of these men accept for the three you mentioned have a specific tie with "A course of miracles" referenced and taught heavily by Jampolsky and Schuller who are linked to all the rest. Including Rick Warren who managed to use several New Age terms in his PDL

Example “above and below”

http://www.experiencefestival.com/above_and_below

Look thee above or look thee below, the same shall ye find. For all is but part of the Oneness that is at the Source of the Law. The consciousness below thee is part thine own as we are a part of thine.

http://www.hiddenmysteries.com/freebook/thoth/thotht11.html

:type:

7. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

RE: Monroe

He is an BBF Pastor in the East who pretty well known in his circle.

8. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bill Monore

The only one I knew of is the late Bill Monroe, the father of bluegrass.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Quite slanderous to insinuate Rick Warren is Oneness...:tear:

10. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Pastor and president of BBFI. His church is Florence Baptist Temple, Florence SC

11. gekko

gekko New Member

so who are the three you were refering to thj?

i picked Rick Warren, Robert Schuller and James Kennedy...

Rick Warren cause he wrote PDL. Robert Schuller... just cause there's nothing biblical about him... and Kennedy... well... i've heard pro's and cons about him...
    (PDL is not the only reason i chose warren... i dont want to go into detail)

:D

#11 gekko, Jun 29, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2006
  12. Bob Farnaby

Bob Farnaby Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I picked the 3 who had a surname beginning with "W" Reason? because none of the others have a surname begiining with"W"

This kind of "Pick the odd one out" thing is inherently pointless as you can come up with reasons for anyto be the odd one......

Bob

13. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

RE:Mr. Warren

To Webdog and Bob Farnaby,

Let us just start with The Message by Eugene Peterson when considering Rick Warren. The Message is quoted if I counted correctly 97 times in the PDL. Per Mr. Peterson I “Then one day my wife and I attended a lecture by Paul Tournier, who showed me another way of being. Given my distracted condition, the timing was just right. The lecture provided a fine image, shaping my life personally as a follower of Jesus, and vocationally as a companion to other followers of Jesus, in the role of pastor and writer.
    Tournier was a Swiss physician who at midlife shifted his medical practice from examining rooms and surgeries to his living room. He left a medical practice that was focused entirely on the body and embraced a healing vocation that dealt with the whole person -- body, mind and spirit. He wrote many books, and I have read them all. They were not great books -- anecdotal in style, personal in story -- but an appealing spirit of discerning grace permeated everything he wrote.”
    http://www.religion-online.org/showarticle.asp?title=2941

Now let us look at Paul Tournier…

The God whom we know in Jesus Christ is known to others under widely varying names and attributes. They seek him in nature, they seek him in the truth pursued by science; they seek him in the social justice and international peace they are trying to create; when they are embarrassed by their own wrongdoing and try to hide it, they show they have some inkling of his sovereign demands.39

Also Tournier believes in a Universalism

In consideration of the former Tournier seems to reflect, throughout his writings, a growing acceptance of other religions and religious philosophies. In The Person Reborn he cites examples of other religions and notes their value,107 and he goes on to state: "There is something of the truth in what each says, provided he is sincere."108 In addition Tournier feels that although "Jesus Christ is the unique and total incarnation of truth, . . . without betraying him we can learn from the Greek philosophers, the sages of India, the philosophers of China, or the sacred texts of ancient Egypt."109

Continuing through his works, this acceptance grows. He indicates that the great world religions have educated humanity.110 Citing a general example of one who puts together a philosophy and morality of his own from studying different religions and philosophies, Tournier states: "In so far as he finds eternal verities in them, he will be piecing together a part of all that is contained in the Christian revelation."111

The climax in Tournier's growing acceptance of other religions occurs in Guilt and Grace . Regardless of their religious beliefs, everyone benefits from the atonement:

Jesus Christ died for all men without any distinction, for the men of every age and clime, for Brahmins, Buddhists, Mohammedans, pagans and atheists . . .

He Himself said: 'I have other sheep, that are not of this fold; I must bring them also, and they will heed my voice.112

This is similarly expressed in a later work and seems to be reflected in still another later writing where he refers to Mohammedans in Libya or Iran as "non-Christian believers."114

I don’t have the time to go further at this point but perhaps we can discuss it further in the future.

The question for me is simply this, with all the bible versions available why would he quote a man who has been by his own admission greatly influenced by Universalism. When all my study is concluded I believe that many in the mega church movement will be shown to be putting forth New Age Philosophy mixed with biblical truth. The PDL has many things I agreed with but when you see secular organization clinging to and using the ideas set forth you must know inside that something is wrong. The world hates everything about Christianity why then are so many embracing this book and its teachings?

I encourage you to investigate the names on my poll especially Jampolsky and Schuller. I would also encourage you to investigate “Course of Miracles” that was taught at the Crystal Cathedral and see who took the course and who graduated from the course. You might also see how close Mr. Warren and Mr. Schuller’s churches are geographically and who has mentored who.

I may not be connecting all the dot's at this point but enough of them are being connected that I am strongly suspect of the whole.

Please give your informed opinions and quotes.

:type:

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Your entire point of this poll and dislike of Rick Warren stems from his use of the Message?

15. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sorry, never heard of any of these chaps

16. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I picked Kennedy, Stanley, and Warren because all the other are New Agers or they mix New Thought in with their teachings, like Schuller (I did not know who Bill Monroe is).

Warren is not a New Ager. Yes, he uses The Message, which I don't like at all, but that does not make him a New Ager. He said clearly on Larry King that those who don't accept Christ go to hell. Believe me, no New Ager would ever say that.

Petersen, who wrote The Message, seems to have mystical leanings. Mysticism is coming into the church via many routes, some from the Emergent Church, some from Richard Foster and Dallas Willard, some from the Contemplative Prayer movement. I realize Warren in PDL endorses some of this, but it's very subtle. However, he is not even in the New Thought category as is Schuller. Once again, let me repeat that I have strong issues with RW.

Others on the list don't even claim to be Christians -- Walsch, Dyer, Bailey, Jampolsky come to mind (I'm not looking at the list right now so this is from memory). Alice Bailey is dead - she was a Theosophist.

17. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I picked Kennedy, Stanley, and Warren because all the other are New Agers or they mix New Thought in with their teachings, like Schuller (I did not know who Bill Monroe is).

Warren is not a New Ager. Yes, he uses The Message, which I don't like at all, but that does not make him a New Ager. He said clearly on Larry King that those who don't accept Christ go to hell. Believe me, no New Ager would ever say that.

Petersen, who wrote The Message, seems to have mystical leanings. Mysticism is coming into the church via many routes, some from the Emergent Church, some from Richard Foster and Dallas Willard, some from the Contemplative Prayer movement. I realize Warren in PDL endorses some of this, but it's very subtle. However, he is not even in the New Thought category as is Schuller. Once again, let me repeat that I have strong issues with RW.

Others on the list don't even claim to be Christians -- Walsch, Dyer, Bailey, Jampolsky come to mind (I'm not looking at the list right now so this is from memory). Alice Bailey is dead - she was a Theosophist.

18. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I only recognise 3 and that's from TV so I guess I won't vote.

19. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I'm really curious as to why 5 people picked Wayne Dyer and 4 chose Marianne Williamson. Both are 100% New Agers.

20. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I really only knew four names, and two didn't belong with the other two.