1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Choose to believe?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by AresMan, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Do not refuse the free pardon, the full salvation which Jesus grants to all who trust Him. Do not hesitate and delay. You have had enough of resolving, come to action. Believe in Jesus now, with full and immediate decision. Take with you words and come unto your Lord this day, even this day." ---CHS, All of Grace

2. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why did you consider the Gospel to be truth while another who heard the same message did not? What was it characteristic of you (your intelligence, your inherent spiritual inclination) that caused you to regard the Gospel message as truth? The Bible does indicate that the Holy Spirit's work is required for salvation.
    Is the Holy Spirit's work effectual to bring about the salvation of those who are indeed saved? If not, how is the Holy Spirit of any measurable import, and how much of the final result of faith unto justification do you attribute to your synergistic, independent yet adjoined will and how much do you attribute to the work of the Holy Spirit of God Almighty? Which part--the Holy Spirit's work or your will--gets the credit for bringing about your faith to justification?

Romans 12:3 is talking about faith unto salvation:
    The "every man" in the final clause of v.3 is the same "every man" in the first clause. Those whom God had dealt the measure of faith--the Roman recipients--were believers. The point of the passage is that one member in the church should not think of himself more highly than he ought because he, like all the other members, received the same faith from God. They were all members of the same body with the same faith in the same Gospel; therefore, they were equal in importance before God, despite minor differences.

Of course, salvation is not according to our service or works; it is by grace through faith. Those who exercise faith in he Gospel for their justification were dealt this faith by God.

Why did you choose to believe? Is the Holy Spirit's work exactly equal to every person who ever exists? If so, what is the difference in man?
    Of course the elect are not "programmed" like robots. All people have wills and make personal decisions and act upon them. However, I believe that it takes an effectual work of regeneration by the Holy Spirit on the will (heart) to illuminate that will to the truth of the Gospel. If one regards the Gospel as true (through the power of the Holy Spirit), one by definition believes it. One will respond according to what one believes. I do not believe that God directly causes all actions; but rather that God regenerates hearts such that responses and acts pleasing to Him effectually result. Absolutely anything good that we do that pleases God must ultimately be credited to God. We cannot claim the credit for anything righteous toward God apar from His work in us.

3. skypair

skypair Active Member

Ares -- just a few answers to your questions.

Usually it begins with when, where, how, and by whom was one raised. Scripture tells us that the infant is "sanctified by the believing parent," for one. Second, it is so very rare that we will believe anything new that we are hearing for the first time, wouldn't you agree? Third, everyone has a conscience that is "stuffed" with human wisdom as well as with the "awareness of God" in every adult. Some are harder in sin than others -- some are unaware of sin and have to have that shown to them before they can decide whether they need a Savior and need reconciling with God.

In the end, we are all convicted of sin by the Holy Spirit but are not all convinced at once by Him that we need or want a Savior.

Therefore, there are many more obstacles in some than in others -- which is why children will more often believe that older adults (Jesus said, "unless ye also become as children, you shall not see the kingdom of God").

Absolutely! Jas 1:21 is a perfect testimony of what happens. "Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, [repent of your sin] and receive with meekness the engrafted word [the Word that the HS is engrafting], which is able to save your souls [justify you with God]." I know, I put my words in for interpretation. But certainly the Spirit speaks clearly here that WE must repent and then WE will receive the Holy Spirit as even Acts 2:38 says.

Let's just look at what the Holy Spirit is before we try to say how He works. The Holy Spirit is, as is our spirit, the mind, emotions, and will of God. As such, His "import" is in pointing one to Christ and God in an understandable, rational basis that we call "the gospel of Jesus Christ." The "synergism" you speak of in our salvation is our "belief not in vain" -- belief in action/repentance.

No. Right off the bat, we, the church, had more revelation than the OT saints (gospel of grace vs. gospel of kingdom) and the OT Jews had more revelation than the Gentiles. This is the true meaning of "election." Both church and Israel had an elect purpose in God's plan.

Your question really should be does every man have enough information to justifyingly choose God. That answer is yes. It really comes down to their belief in the "everlasting gospel" -- "fear God and give glory to Him," Rev 14:7. Notice this is this very gospel that Paul says that the heathen are without excuse for not doing, Rom 1:20-21 -- "Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God,... " IOW (application today), if there is a tribe that exists that has never heard, God would provide a "Way" for believers of the "everlasting gospel" to be justified and enter into the MK with the OT saints who never knew Christ.

skypair

4. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Yet the Holy Ghost is still grieved at one's unbelief, so one's choice still holds precedence.

It is the Holy Ghost who reveals truth to an individual. It is then that individual's response that makes all the difference.

My response was positive towards the Holy Ghost's intervention in my life.

Of course, and the word of the Lord will not return unto Him void either. Your next question is moot.
    Full credit goes to the iniator, which IS the Holy Ghost. I am saved as the result of that will being imparted unto me to make the choice according to my will, in the positive sense, against the will and wiles of satan.

And "every man" is every man. Not limited to every man whom God chose in service, but every man is given the measure of faith to believe and make the same choice as all other in His service.

And we all excercise that faith by choice.

Choice.
    Yet many still reject His efforts to regenerate them as we speak: Agrippa did, Festus did, the Pharisees did to an extent as many do and have done.

There is nothing wrong with what God has offered, it is only the wrong choices made by men that ultimately seal his doom.

It is not some are planted with the seed to bring about regenerative results and some are not, for none of us were in Him before we're saved. So being His Chosen is an after-effect of Holy Ghost intervention by making Him one's choice!:godisgood:

5. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi AresMan;
    I agree that man does not choose to believe. A man is either convinced or not. Why is it one believes and the other who heard the same sermon doesn't believe.
    An example; Two have the opportunity to hear but one is distracted by his own thoughts and isn't attentive. The gospel is effective when it is listened to.
    The Bible says it will accomplish it's purpose. A man will listen when he has been drawn.
    Isa 55:11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

It's purpose is to convince men of the truth of it. To be convinced is the product of the one doing the convincing. Which is why it is the work of God.
    MB

6. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

Isnt there a difference in beleiving and truly beleiving?

I think a beleif may be a work. If you beleive to be saved that is. Who lets you beleive? isnt it God who gives a true beleif? So it all starts with God who takes what you thought was a beleif and makes it flesh.

I struggled with this for a long time, but the beleif at salvation is from God. and its not just an "I beleive now" so I am saved when you hear the word for the first time. God can give us a true beleif the first time we hear his voice, but for others it takes time. I am not saying dont beleive until God gives you the right but I do think that God alone gives grace and after that comes true beleif.....

7. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

Furthermore, I feel like I beleive more and more as God gives me the gift of growing in Him, but the truth is that God is the one that gives a true life in beleif not just a self pleasure of convincing yourself that you beleive enough to pray and receive a gift. I tried that 100 times and it hasnt worked yet in healing or anything, truly beleiving is becoming more and more broken and helpless before God instead of wiser or more foolish.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think you might be confusing mental ascent and faith. Faith is belief in action. I can jump from a plane and believe the parachute on my back will save my life, but until I put that belief in action (faith) and pull the rip cord, that mental belief is useless.