1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Choose ye this day whom you will serve

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by J.D., Jun 18, 2006.

1. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

I agree with what canadyjd wrote; however, the context of these verses is not about the occupying of the Promised Land by the Israelites.

It it is a record of what occurred in what was the Northern Kingdom of Israel after the Assyrians took it over in 722 BC.

I suppose the "fear" that these verses use is a different kind of "fear" than what we normally associate it to be in the context of the Biblical phrase "the fear of the LORD."

It just kind of struck me as being odd the way that it's worded in these verses compared to what these verses said that these people actually did.

2. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Flesh

If you read further with the verse you will read this,

22For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:

It is in the flesh the dwells no good, it is completely evil. The inner man does want to do good, but the flesh wages war against the inner man.

Who can save you from this body of death, only Jesus, so turn to Him. He is the only one who can save the soul.

Jesus had undone what adam did, we should tell the world the hope we have in Jesus, because they will not seek themselves so we are sent out.

Romans 8:3
    For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

Jesus is the hope for the world, for Jesus has poured out the Holy Spirit upon the earth, and the world is no longer depraved of it, because we who believe is His temple.

3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Not sure what version this is but you sure about this? You sure Paul said Jesus "undone" what Adam did?

If I'm not mistaken, isn't this what Paul did, "It is in the flesh the dwells no good, it is completely evil. The inner man does want to do good, but the flesh wages war against the inner man."

4. psalms109:31

Condemned sin in the flesh

Our total being was corrupted by the sin of Adam

Jesus condemned the Sin in the flesh and undid what Adam did.

The inner being wants to do good.

It is only Jesus that can save us from this body of death.

These scripture is what showed me the undoing what adam did.

Romans 5:
    17For if, by the trespass of the one man, death reigned through that one man, how much more will those who receive God's abundant provision of grace and of the gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man, Jesus Christ.

18Consequently, just as the result of one trespass was condemnation for all men, so also the result of one act of righteousness was justification that brings life for all men.

I know you want to put limit to all men, but i will not lean on my own understanding, but trust in the Lord.

5. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To the first question: because man's choice is bound to his nature. fallen. corrupt. sinful.

To the second question: if good means to please God, then it is because as Paul put it, 'God worketh in you to do and to will of His good pleasure'.

Unregenerate men can also do good, but good that is pleasing before men, not before God. More often the good that unregenerate men do is to earn the praise of men.

6. psalms109:31

corrupt

I do not see the scripture teaching men is now totally corrupt. It shows the flesh is, but it shows the inner man wants to do good.

We also know the only one who can save us from this body of death. It is Jesus

We all our predestined to condemnation and the only one who can save us is Jesus.

For whosoever believes shall be saved. Whosoever believes is predestined by the words of Jesus to be saved.

We are not totally corrupt, and we can put our hope in the only one who can save us Jesus.

Through the words of Jesus the Holy Spirit is At the door knocking, asking to open the door and let Him in, and we are His messengers.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This doesn't fly. God said that these fallen, corrupt, sinful men bound to their nature could follow Him, hence their choice was not bound by anything but their choice.

8. GraceAlone

GraceAlone New Member

If you'll look at what the Bible says in Joshua 24:15 you'll see that their "choice" was not between God and idols, but between the idols of Egypt and the idols of the Amorites. If you reject the one true God then pick your flavor! Multitudes today are doing exactly that!

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Actually, it was a three way choice. They could worship the true God (v. 14), or if they refused that they could worship the gods of their fathers, or the gods of the Amorites. This was still a choice between God and false gods.

10. GraceAlone

GraceAlone New Member

Verse 14 is a challenge. Call it a choice if you wish but those who will not fear the LORD are left to choose a god of their liking.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't see the difference between "challenge" and choice:confused:
    The choice is there plainly---get rid of the gods your ancestors worshiped and worship the true God.

Joshua 24:14 "Therefore, fear the LORD and worship Him in sincerity and truth. Get rid of the gods your ancestors worshiped beyond the Euphrates River and in Egypt, and worship the LORD.

12. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Paul, a saved Christian was describing the fight or "war" he had within himself. We all have this fight including Jesus himself. It's called temptation. This is what he means by if I would do good, evel is still present.

Jesus did not undo what Adam did or saved men would not know good from evil and Christians would no longer have a sinful nature. Jesus paid the price for our sins in the act of a final attonement to his father. This is not saying you will never sin again, you will sin and he has paid the price.

Remember, sin is not the physical act, it is the very thought that makes sin. If you think your brother dead, you are guilty of murder. If you lust after another woman you have commited adultry (assuming you're married).

If you have reached a level that all your thoughts are pure then GOD bless you but as for me (and Paul) I have a war going on inside of me. I am doing better about winning the fights but there is still a war just the same.

13. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I've been giving this question a lot of thought and have concluded there are times when evil comes to man as good. How about the ones who were healing and preaching in the name of the LORD but had failed to secure their own salvation. even the serpant in the garden didn't appear to be giving bad advice.

Especially in the Church, there are a lot of good intentions that are not always GOD's ways. Yes, most of it can be avoided with more studying, watching and praying. I think of the early Church getting drunk at communion. If one drink is good to do in remembrance then a bottle must be great.

I am convinced Israel wanted to do right but fell prey to the gods of Canaan. This of course because they didn't obey GOD and kill everything in the land. Joshua, who was the leader by the way, did well standing on the LORD side by saying I don't care who you guys go and serve, i've made up my mind and there is no turning back. Me and my house will serve the only true and living GOD!

14. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

J.D. said:

Joshua said to Israel "choose ye this day whom you will serve, either the false gods that you served in Egypt, or the Lord, but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Then we continue reading and find out that Israel forsook God and went after idols.

It would be helpful if you would start by quoting the Bible accurately. What Joshua said was, "And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the LORD, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD" (Josh. 24:15).

The "choice" offered was between the "gods your fathers served" and "the gods of the Amorites." Joshua does not invite Israel to choose to serve the true God. He commands it. When he says it might be evil for them to serve the Lord, you can almost hear the sarcasm dripping off his tongue.

15. GraceAlone

GraceAlone New Member

Ransom you made the same point I did yesterday. You'll probably find, as I have, that there are multitudes of versions of the scriptures being used on this forum so to stand on the authority of the Bible you would have to specify which Bible. Your point, and mine, are clear in the KJV but much less so in other translations. Good to hear from you. :thumbs:

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It really makes no difference which version you use. This WAS a choice between God and gods, regarless of what it does to the reformed theologians defense...

Joshua 24:14...
    (ASV) Now therefore fear Jehovah, and serve him in sincerity and in truth; and put away the gods which your fathers served beyond the River, and in Egypt; and serve ye Jehovah.
    (BBE) So now, go in fear of the Lord, and be his servants with true hearts: put away the gods worshipped by your fathers across the River and in Egypt, and be servants of the Lord.
    (CEV) Then Joshua told the people: Worship the LORD, obey him, and always be faithful. Get rid of the idols your ancestors worshiped when they lived on the other side of the Euphrates River and in Egypt.
    (DRB) Now therefore fear the Lord, and serve him with a perfect and most sincere heart: and put away the gods which your fathers served in Mesopotamia and in Egypt, and serve the Lord.
    (ESV) "Now therefore fear the LORD and serve him in sincerity and in faithfulness. Put away the gods that your fathers served beyond the River and in Egypt, and serve the LORD.
    (GNB) "Now then," Joshua continued, "honor the LORD and serve him sincerely and faithfully. Get rid of the gods which your ancestors used to worship in Mesopotamia and in Egypt, and serve only the LORD.
    (GW) "Fear the LORD, and serve him with integrity and faithfulness. Get rid of the gods your ancestors served on the other side of the Euphrates River and in Egypt, and serve only the LORD.
    (HCSB) "Therefore, fear the LORD and worship Him in sincerity and truth. Get rid of the gods your ancestors worshiped beyond the Euphrates River and in Egypt, and worship the LORD.
    (KJ2000) Now therefore fear the LORD, and serve him in sincerity and in truth: and put away the gods which your fathers served on the other side of the River, and in Egypt; and serve you the LORD.
    (KJV+) Now therefore6258 fear3372 (853) the LORD,3068 and serve5647 him in sincerity8549 and in truth:571 and put away5493 (853) the gods430 which834 your fathers1 served5647 on the other side5676 of the flood,5104 and in Egypt;4714 and serve5647 ye (853) the LORD.3068
    (KJVR) Now therefore fear the LORD, and serve him in sincerity and in truth: and put away the gods which your fathers served on the other side of the flood, and in Egypt; and serve ye the LORD.
    (LITV) Now, then, fear Jehovah, and serve Him in sincerity and truth, and turn away from the gods which your fathers served Beyond the River, and in Egypt; and you serve Jehovah.
    (MKJV) Now, then, fear Jehovah, and serve Him in sincerity and truth. And put away the gods which your fathers served on the other side of the flood, and in Egypt, and serve Jehovah.
    (MSG) "So now: Fear GOD. Worship him in total commitment. Get rid of the gods your ancestors worshiped on the far side of The River (the Euphrates) and in Egypt. You, worship GOD.
    (RV) Now therefore fear the LORD, and serve him in sincerity and in truth: and put away the gods which your fathers served beyond the River, and in Egypt; and serve ye the LORD.
    (Webster) Now therefore fear the LORD, and serve him in sincerity and in truth; and put away the gods which your fathers served on the other side of the flood, and in Egypt; and serve ye the LORD.
    (YLT) `And now, fear ye Jehovah, and serve Him, in perfection and in truth, and turn aside the gods which your fathers served beyond the River, and in Egypt, and serve ye Jehovah;

17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

All those drunks I used to run with may have all been saints is that what you are saying? :)

18. psalms109:31

Struggle

Sin is a struggle for all men believers or not, just a non believer just doesn't know they area sinner in need of help.

That is why God sends us out with the word to tell the truth.

We do not know we are sinner until we are told.

Then when we are told it brings death.

Who can then save us from this body of death, Jesus.

We are not that corrupt that we can't seek help.

Because the inner man has a desire to do good, not the God within us, but the inner man has that desire.

We just don't know we need help or who to turn to for this help without the messenger.

We can choice to continue to follow the flesh which leads to death or choice to follow Jesus which leads to life.

God has set before us life death.

So choose life so you may live.

19. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

webdog said:

This WAS a choice between God and gods, regarless of what it does to the reformed theologians defense...

And, apparently, regardless of what the Bible text itself says. :rolleyes:

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Or your failure to exegete the text properly within context:rolleyes: