1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Choose ye this day whom you will serve

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by J.D., Jun 18, 2006.

1. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Seems like even a Calvinist could understand this verse.

I know it presents a choice to serve the gods of this world or serve the true and living God.

2. npetreley

npetreley New Member

But Calvinism isn't about whether or not people have a choice. Calvinism is about WHY one person chooses this, and another chooses that.

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Depends on what you love the most. You don't need to say why? God made man and let him choose which one he wanted, good or evil. He left that decision up to us. If we choose Him He is there to receive us. If we don't choose Him He is there to cast us into Hell.

4. Terry_Herrington

You and I can debate the reasons why one person believes and why one doesn't, but I am afraid we will never understand why. It's like asking why my oldest child doesn't like watermelon; I mean it taste so good everyone should like it, but he doesn't.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Calvinists take notice...this is true wisdom. We CANNOT know why. Calvinism is a lie in that it tells us we can.

6. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

webdog said:

I can see where Joshua really put his foot down, and told them!

So you think that Joshua genuinely invited the Israelites to break the law it was his job to uphold. I'm sorry I asked. In any case, you've shown that on this subject at least, you're not to be taken seriously. Have a day.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm sorry you asked, too, it was an ignorant question. You've show you can be taken seriously, though...seriously wrong.

Back at 'cha!

8. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I don't think it's even open to debate. The Bible tells us why one person believes and another one doesn't.

9. Terry_Herrington

Feel free to tell us why?

10. npetreley

npetreley New Member

There are a lot more quotes than these, but here are some.

Why people believe:

Why people don't believe:

#70 npetreley, Jun 25, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2006
  11. whatever

whatever New Member

No fair using the Bible to explain things that we "cannot" know.

12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Luke, chapter 10
    "38": Now it came to pass, as they went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house.

"39": And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word.

"40": But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me.

"41": And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things:

"42": But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.

I chose for the same reason that Mary did!

13. whatever

whatever New Member

Me too, Bro. Bob - I chose because the Father granted it, just as the Bible says.

14. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Yes, He granted it in the beginning when He made man and in His Sovereignty, made him so he could choose. That is how Mary chose. :)

ain't this fun how we go round and round and where we stop nobody knows. :) I am starting to really like you all.:applause:

#74 Brother Bob, Jun 25, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2006
  15. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would like to refresh this thread and begin drawing it to a close by repeating the three questions I stated earlier and inviting the calvinists viewing the thread to post their answers. (I know some have already posted). Only calvinists now and please no debating over what Joshua said, just answer the questions. Okay? :)

1. WHAT WAS IN THE TWO THAT BELIEVED THAT WOULD CAUSE THEM TO REPENT AND RECEIVE THE LORD?

2. LIKEWISE, WHAT WAS IN THE EIGHT THAT BELIEVED NOT THAT CAUSED THEM TO REJECT THE LORD?

3. Why and how can a man that has that same sin nature turn right around and DECIDE to love light rather than darkness?

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

And has been repeated (but the calvinist refuses to believe)..

1. Don't / can't know

2. Don't / can't know

3. Don't / can't know

We honestly can't know why one chooses to believe a lie and one chooses to believe the truth. Calvinism is a nice compact theology that TRIES to put 2+2 together, but it's more like trying to figure out the sq. root of "pi" + sq. root of "pi".

17. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Web, you're not in the military, are you? My instructions were ONLY CALVISNIST ANSWERS NOW. Sheesh could I get a little cooperation, as we say in Jersy "I'm woiken heah!" (that's supposed to be I'm working here in Jersey dialect.)

Besides, you already registered your answer and it was received by the front office and is under review.

18. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Here is what the verse says...

Here is what you are rewriting it to say...

Here is what you are totally ignoring...

Like I said, many more verses say basically the same things. Feel free to rewrite them all to make your soteriology work.

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sorry I didn't play by the rules, I'll go stand in the corner now...

If the calvinists answers are any different, they are guesses and not factual.

20. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Npet;
    Nope, I am saying Jesus said "except you believe that I am He you shall die in your sins".

"preach the gospel to every creature and he that believeth and is baptized shall be saved".

"not His will that any would perish"

"tasted death for every man".

and so on.