1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Chosen to Eternal Life? [Acts 13:48]

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by OldRegular, Jul 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes...of course this is a biblical perspective. We are to search the scripture like the bereans to see if these things are so.
    Even when reading trusted guides, we will not always be in agreement.That is fine. We are to serve the lord as we continue to grow.
    You are posting the truth and can see the level of rebellion it brings.
    Just as Jesus said it would.

2. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Rebellion....that's what it is..."rebellion"...shall we mention the "remnant" you spoke of in the other thread who don't "bow their heads to baal or other gods" or whatever accusation of damnation you claim?
    http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=1875904&postcount=11

1Ki 19:18 Yet I have left [me] seven thousand in Israel, all the knees which have not bowed unto Baal, and every mouth which hath not kissed him.

Yet again, Icon accuses fellow Christians and a moderator of Satan-worship, and does so with impunity...

I am sure that "Dr. Bob" will call you on this tactic....

Oh....Never mind....

He won't....post on.

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Study is good, but believing what is studied instead of reading into it is best. God elects, men exercise free will and salvation takes place.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Let me see if your exposition flies. Those "appointed" in verse 47...is the word appointed to be taken the same was as you say it is in verse 48? If so why hasn't every jew brought the Gospel to the Gentiles? My brother in law is a jew...and he rejects the Gospel. According to your hermeneutic, God's decree has failed.

5. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Very good advice. Sadly you do not heed it.

You say and have said God elects or chooses some to Salvation. So what does that say about God if the one chosen exercises his free will and rejects Salvation. Does that mean God is impotent?

6. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well there you go. First you accuse me of questioning the Holy Spirit as if it was some kind of sin. You are absolutely right I do question the way this verse was translated, because every where else in scripture it says the exact opposite.
    You hold to one verse and claim it is truth. Your arguement here is very weak, because you have nothing with which to back it up. In the Greek faith comes first before the appointment.
    MB

7. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...not meaning to get into the middle of the (unfortunate) acrimony here...

You make the statement, "In the Greek[,] faith comes first before the appointment." I'm curious what citation you might have in mind in making this statement.

The Archangel

8. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    God's decree is unfolding perfectly. I do not have the false idea ,that ALL jews, or ALL gentiles...means every single person without exception.
    Not all israel is of israel.....Paul always speaks of the OT believers as an ELECT remnant....The Servant of the Lord....Isa 40-54...particularly brings all things to gether.
    Not every Jew in Israel gets saved. Not every gentile in the world gets saved.

The text is very clear......AS Many As were ordained.....as many does not mean all persons......
    32 And we declare unto you glad tidings, how that the promise which was made unto the fathers,

33 God hath fulfilled the same unto us their children, in that he hath raised up Jesus again; as it is also written in the second psalm, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee.

34 And as concerning that he raised him up from the dead, now no more to return to corruption, he said on this wise, I will give you the sure mercies of David.

35 Wherefore he saith also in another psalm, Thou shalt not suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

36 For David, after he had served his own generation by the will of God, fell on sleep, and was laid unto his fathers, and saw corruption:

37 But he, whom God raised again, saw no corruption.

38 Be it known unto you therefore, men and brethren, that through this man is preached unto you the forgiveness of sins:

39 And by him all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses.

40 Beware therefore, lest that come upon you, which is spoken of in the prophets;

41 Behold, ye despisers, and wonder, and perish: for I work a work in your days, a work which ye shall in no wise believe, though a man declare it unto you.

42 And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath.

43 Now when the congregation was broken up, many of the Jews and religious proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas: who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the grace of God.

44 And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God.

45 But when the Jews saw the multitudes, they were filled with envy, and spake against those things which were spoken by Paul, contradicting and blaspheming.

46 Then Paul and Barnabas waxed bold, and said, It was necessary that the word of God should first have been spoken to you: but seeing ye put it from you, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, lo, we turn to the Gentiles.

47 For so hath the Lord commanded us, saying, I have set thee to be a light of the Gentiles, that thou shouldest be for salvation unto the ends of the earth.

WebDog.....Paul by the Spirit is quoting from Isa 49;1-8...The Servant of the Lord gathering All,ie, jew and gentile into one new man...gentiles come to the light....not all gentiles.....many of them...
    That is what Jn 12 is speaking of....not the jew only...I will draw all men to me.....gentiles included.

48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed.

49 And the word of the Lord was published throughout all the region.

50 But the Jews stirred up the devout and honourable women, and the chief men of the city, and raised persecution against Paul and Barnabas, and expelled them out of their coasts.

9. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You have an over active imagination Hos.You missed the whole point of the reference. Just because i do not care for your hero cs lewis you have just been looking to attack at all times. This is childish nonsense. Why not stop this poor conduct. God always preserves His covenant people... In Elijahs day..or our day.
    His ELECT are called to salvation/ the preaching of the gospel discovers who they are. pretty simple. God has always preserved the godly line, and always will.....Even if you do not like it.:thumbs::thumbs:

10. OldRegular

Not really. Scripture does not contradicd itself!
    Then prove it!

Just for you MB!

Ephesians 1:3-6
    3. Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:
    4. According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
    5. Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
    6. To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.

11. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

12. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Act 13:48 ακουονταG191 V-PAP-NPN δεG1161 CONJ ταG3588 T-NPN εθνηG1484 N-NPN εχαιρονG5463 V-IAI-3P καιG2532 CONJ εδοξαζονG1392 V-IAI-3P τονG3588 T-ASM λογονG3056 N-ASM τουG3588 T-GSM κυριουG2962 N-GSM καιG2532 CONJ επιστευσανG4100 V-AAI-3P οσοιG3745 K-NPM ησανG1510 V-IAI-3P τεταγμενοιG5021 V-RPP-NPM ειςG1519 PREP ζωηνG2222 N-ASF αιωνιονG166 A-ASF

Schrivener's Greek New Testiment.
    G4100 which is translated as faith G5021 is translated as appointed
    MB

13. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what exactly are you arguing?

Are you saying that "faith" comes before "appointed" in the word order and that's why faith precedes appointment?

The Archangel

14. OldRegular

I don't read Greek but that was funny looking stuff that MB posted! Looked like a mixture of Greek and English.

Looks to me like Young's Literal Translation is pretty clear:

YLT: And the nations hearing were glad, and were glorifying the word of the Lord, and did believe--as many as were appointed to life age-during;

The ones who believe are the ones appointed!

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes...in context when you back up a verse...the gentiles!

16. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    13:46 Then Paul and Barnabas waxed bold, and said, It was necessary that the word of God should first have been spoken to you:(You Jews) but seeing ye put it from you, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, lo, we turn to the Gentiles. For so hath the Lord commanded us, I have set thee to be a light of the Gentiles, that thou shouldest be for salvation unto the ends of the earth. And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed.

Who believed?

Acts 15:14 Simeon hath declared how God at the first did visit the Gentiles, to take out of them a people for his name.

Did he, take out of, or did he have the word preached and who ever believed God let on the boat?

17. OldRegular

God took out those He had chosen or ordained to salvation.

18. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's what methinks.

19. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Who ever believes.

20. OldRegular

Methinks also!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: