1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Christ as Authoritative or Loving?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by John of Japan, Apr 11, 2012.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You've started to grasp the problem.

2. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Verbatim translating means to a professional, non-Bible translator that he should be very careful to transfer all of the meaning of the source document into the target document. If it is a word that doesn't exist in the target language, he may transliterate and then add an explanatory footnote, but he'll still try to get that word in the target document. Verbatim translating is important in diplomatic and legal (contracts, etc.) documents.

Understanding the culture/language connection (sociolinguistics) is extremely important to a translator. Is a word crude or acceptable? Is it used by a certain class of people but not by the general public? Is it polite or plain ("sir" versus "dude")?

3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This would be dynamic equivalence, something I oppose. Translating "goat of God" instead of "lamb of God" is really kind of looking down on the people for who the translation is being made. It's assuming they cannot comprehend the idea that there might be an animal they don't know about. Once they get their own Bible, even "primitives" get an education--reading especially. They then always want more, and will eventually learn they have been hoodwinked with "goat of God."

I would handle this translation problem by transliterating and then adding an explanatory footnote, such as: "The lamb is the offspring of an animal with white hair which can be used for making clothing. It is similar to the goat."

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would you include a fuller explaination/expanded edition in the text itself, such as the Amplified bible version did, or put that info explaining what a lamb is in footnotes?

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd put it in a footnote. The way the Amplified did things was distracting for a simple read of the Scriptures. My Japanese translation partner rejects it almost every time (there is a Japanese Amplified NT)--doesn't even want to consider it.

6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have egg on my face about this statement. A Greek scholar friend wrote me, "While there was not a formal vs informal Koine language issue, there certainly were honorifics (usually coupled with a good deal of flattery in speech). Primary among these in the NT is the use of KRATISTE, used not only for Theophilus (Lk 1:3) but otherwise only when addressing high Roman officials, e.g. Ac 23:26 (Felix); 24:3 (Felix); 26:25 (Festus)."

Actually, most languages (if not all) have some form of honorifics. For example, in English we say "Sir" and "Ma'am." The difference in Japanese is that this language not only has honorific words, there is an entire system of "respect language" (敬語, keigo).

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Jesus is described as the friend of sinners. I think that would imply more of a loving tone, no?

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, since His stated reason for the incarnation was to "seek and to save that which was lost." So having Christ treat all humans with politeness is how we (my editors and I) are leaning right now.

The question remains, what level of language should be used for His conversations with the hypocrites? Did He call them "serpents" in a loving tone or an authoritative throne?

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think His tone with them would be more of how He is described in Proverbs 6 and 16...hating and detesting pride and the proud. Is there a third option? :laugh:

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I think "Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?" (Matt. 23:33) says it all. No need to look for any other option! :smilewinkgrin:

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All depends IF the Lord is talking to His own sheep, or ones that are "outside his flock!"

Also, per Apostle John, the risen back to glory jesus is really 'LORD" again, so think that we would do well to translate it in a way that revers and honors Him!

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would He use a less loving tone to those outside the flock?

I don't think either Japanese translation plan in question would treat Jesus as less than Lord.

13. mandym

mandym New Member

I am confused as to the need to pit one against the other as if they cannot be applied equally.

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In Japanese we have to choose the level of politeness with which we speak to someone. There is different vocabulary and sometimes even different grammar depending on who we are speaking to.

So in Japanese we can have Jesus saying, "I am the way, the truth and the life." (normal polite: 私は道であり、真理であり、命なのです。)Or we can have Him saying the same thing only in the plain form. (私は道であり、真理であり、命なのだ。) If you'll look carefully, you'll see that in the first example we have です at the end, but in the second we have だ. We cannot have Him saying it both ways. We have to choose polite (です, thus loving), or plain (だ, thus authoritative).

#34 John of Japan, Apr 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2012
  15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

think that the Lord spoke to people based upon where they were at the time of their discussion...

The hard hearted/tone deak to his message, arrogant and prideful got 'blasted' by Him big time!

16. MNJacob

MNJacob Member

JoJ,

I was glad to see that you caught Paul's honorifics to Festus. There is a sense of the formal language there. It also helps that the original language spoken in this case was probably Greek.

I know that I am going complicate things a bit. When I took one of my advanced Greek/Exegesis classes on the Sermon on the Mount, I actually wrote my paper on words that were not in red.

Matthew 7:28 When Jesus had finished saying these things, the crowds were amazed at his teaching, 29 because he taught as one who had authority, and not as their teachers of the law. (NIV)

My main point in the paper was that Jesus was in the unique position of not only being able to capture the words of scripture, but as the author He could offer direct insight to the specific intent.

It also hurts a bit in that the language spoken by Jesus was probably Aramaic. What we have are the equivalent idioms in Koine Greek.

I taught a multicultural Sunday School class for 2 years, we had representatives from China, Korea, Thailand, Lithuania, and a good Central American contingent. We spent most of our time moving through the idioms from Greek (or Hebrew) through English to the native languages of our participants.

17. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wish I could take credit, but my Greek prof friend had to remind me on that one! But the basic honorifics are not a problem in Japanese. What is difficult is matching the vertical level of politeness.
    This is exactly the passage I was thinking of when I did the base translation of our new Japanese NT. I felt that the Japanese "plain form" would convey that authority. But I'm getting Japanese feedback that makes me think we should change to the polite form. Until now all major Japanese translations have used the polite form, so it would be a major innovation to use the plain form for the sayings of Christ.
    True, but since we have almost none of the Aramaic Jesus spoke originally, it is a moot point.
    Sounds like true missionary work! :thumbs:

#37 John of Japan, Apr 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2012