1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christ in Politics

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Ps104_33, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Jimmy Carter gave a speech in 1976 where he made this statement,

"We should live our lives as if Christ were coming this afternoon".

I dont remember an outcry in the mainstream media over this comment. Suppose Mike Huckabee had made this comment in a speech today. Do you think there would be any negative reaction from the MSM or those that arent of the Christian faith?

2. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Offsetting the difference in media coverage back then and now, I would say they would be treated the same.

Time and 'news' coverage has changed. I highlight news because I don't think it's 'news' at all anymore. They are no better than Jerry Springer in my mind when it comes to reporting the 'news'.

I am sure something was said about Jimmy Carter's speech it just didn't get the coverage it does today because of the way 'news' is reported.

Back then you had Walter telling you at 6pm what went one for the day, and you actually had to wait until 6pm to find out. Today, turn on almost any channel and you will see something like 'news' every hour. Even more so, you have whole channels "reporting" the 'news' these days!

So, yes I think they would/are treated equal given the differences of today.

Jamie

3. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now this is the truth if I ever heard it!!!

In my ex-job, I dealt with installation of traffic signals, so in a small town it was news (needed something to fill the local fish wrapper) when a new signal was installed.
    I got caught on site once and was interviewed re: same, and subsequently made the "NEWS".
    Nothing earth-shattering, or even controversial, but the facts were conspicuious by their absence. Ever since, I've taken ANY reporter with a grain of salt.
    From then on, if I ever saw a newspaper/TV/radio reporter approaching at a work site, I was gone faster that Jerry followed by Tom.

It's a shame that one of the basis of our freedoms is handled so sloppily!

4. billwald

billwald New Member

If I REALLY believed it I would eat ice cream at every meal and inbetween.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where and to what group was this speech given?

6. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

I don't know where Carter made this speech, but do know that he taught a Sunday School class at the First Baptist Church of Washington whenever the press of business did not take him elsewhere. The reporters were all over the place at the church, nearly every Sunday. One of the members there said to me, "It is a mixed blessing to have the President of the United States as a member of our church." And I think it is true that a number of people who joined during the Carter years never showed up again or moved their memberships after his term was over.

7. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about some of these excerpts from the "new baptist covenant" meeting in Atlanta going on now?...

[Hillary Clinton "She went on to talk about her plans for universal health care, improving the student loan process and fixing the housing crisis."
    -----
    “I think these are political issues and now more than ever, we see we can do more if we come together,” Swift said. “The church must be involved in politics and I think the politicians need to come to the church.”

These, from that "nonpartisan" meeting a few days before Super Tuesday primaries. :laugh: :mad: :rolleyes: :laugh:

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20080130/LATEST/885082324

8. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

In the 70s, the networks had News departments. Now they place the news in the entertainment division, and that is exactly what it has become.