1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christ is, was and will always be sinless. Period!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Diggin, go back and dig some more.

2. standingfirminChrist

Magnetic Poles,

Go back and study some more.

3. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Did I not just say I don't drink? He drank wine at times and was sinless. Your opinion of wine won't let you believe what the Bible clearly says happened

#23 JerryL, Jun 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2007
  4. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Col 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of a holy day, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

Surely you can see that there would be no reason to judge a man by drinking non-alchoholic drinks. Why would he tell them to not worry about what the other man thinks if it was a non-alcholic drink? Why would another man care what they were drinking if it was non-alcholic? There were no restrictions on non-alcholic drinks, right?

5. standingfirminChrist

You still have not shown Scripture to show He drank alcoholic wine... or wine at all for that matter.

The only thing Jesus ever admits to in His Word is the 'fruit of the vine'.

6. standingfirminChrist

The Apostles in the upper room were accused of drinking alcoholic drinks when they only drank non-alcoholic.

7. standingfirminChrist

It is quite obvious your opinion of wine won't let you believe what the Bible says happened.

8. standingfirminChrist

Col 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of a holy day, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

This verse is speaking in reference to those who were trying to put the Church at Colosse under the yoke of bondage of the old Mosaic laws from which they were set free.

That does not give permission to drink alcohol.

There are many other verses throughout the Word of God besides those in the Mosaic Penteteuch that forbid wine

9. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because someone believes the Bible does not forbid the drinking of alcohol (for very good reasons, IMO), does not mean they are being dishonest with scripture. You have made an accusation against another person's character based on a difference of opinion in interpretation! You've moved from a discussion of the scripture into a personal attack. (I realize you are not the first to do that, on either side of the issues, but it is wrong regardless!)

You are coming from the opinion that alcohol is forbidden. If alcohol is not forbidden, then those who disagree with you are not saying anything unkind or unwarranted about Christ. Trying to manipulate the discussion to claim that your opponents are attacking Christ is reprehensible... and yes, I know that you are not the only one who is guilty of that.

10. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Mar 14:25 Verily I say unto you, I will drink no more of the fruit of the vine, until that day that I drink it new in the kingdom of God.

Jews drank wine at Passover not grapejuice. Key words above are no more.( after that point until His death) So He drank wine up until that point. Keep twisting, maybe you will get there after while. Whether you admit it or not, the Bible clearly says that Jewish people drank wine and in instances it was alcholic and not forbidden as long as not for drunkenness and in moderation. Paul( writing as an inspired of God writer) says that wine in moderation is ok, even encouraged at times. I'll take God's word over your opinion thank you. Nuff said on this subject.

#30 JerryL, Jun 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2007
  11. standingfirminChrist

If there is any manipulating of Scripture, it is from the other side.

Alcohol is a drug, a depressant. Christ would not have submitted Himself to a depressant and told us He wanted us to have joy in our lives.

The joy of the Lord is our strength. How can we have joy from a christ who destroys part of his brain with drugs?

I am not attacking Christ, don't accuse me of that.

12. standingfirminChrist

Instead of reading that verse with 21st century notions, read it in context. Compare Scripture with Scripture.

Would Christ have drank a beverage that deceives and mocks?

Would Christ have drank a beverage that bites like a serpent and stings like an adder?

Would Christ have drank a beverage that brings woe and contention?

Would Christ have done drugs?

You say you do not drink... why not? If Christ drank it as you claim He did, surely it is not bad for you? or your children or grandchildren?

13. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I said nothing in my post about manipulating scripture. I was talking about personal attacks.

Yes, alcohol is clinically catagorized as a depressant. The responsible use of certain depressants is not evil. I certainly hope that those who have surgery and dental work make appropriate use of depressants for pain relief.

You seem to be drawing a direct parallel between the use of alcohol (clinically categorized as a depressant) and depression.

Psalm 104:15 mentions that wine makes the heart glad. Do you believe that?

Abuse of alcohol destroys the brain. Temperate use of alcohol does not.

I never did. I was pointing out that your side of this issue tries to portray "our" side as attacking Christ.

Didn't you even read the message you are responding to?

14. standingfirminChrist

The wine that maketh glad the heart is not the wine that is the venom of asps. It is not the wine that we are forbid to even look at.

Wine that maketh the heart glad is not alcoholic!

15. standingfirminChrist

Just how much do you think one has to drink before it reaches the brain?

The first drink enters the blood stream. The first drink is just as damaging to those brain cells as a second, third or fourth drink.

The more one drinks, the more brain cells that are destroyed.

16. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like all things we intake, whether they be the sugar in a piece of fruit, the chemicals in aspirin, or the substances in a glass of wine, reach the brain.

Too much sugar, aspirin or wine will negatively affect the brain. Appropriate use of these things is required.

Not directly, unless you are injecting it directly into the bloodstream. The digestive system processes everything we eat so that it can be used appropriately. If a person is eating, or has recently eaten, before their alcoholic drink, alcohol is released into the bloodstream at a much lower rate than on an empty stomach. At low levels (levels below drunkeness), alcohol in the blood has positive benefits for the body and nervous system. Drunkeness indicates that someone has had too much to drink and it is negatively affecting (toxic to) their body. (That's why we call it intoxication!)

Nope. You've completely ignored the issues of toxicity.

For instance, using my previous examples, the use of too much sugar or aspirin has very negative effects on the body. In appropriate amounts they are very helpful or essential. The body much have sugars to live and aspirin is very helpful with circulation issues, as well as management of pain like headaches. In the same way, alcohol can be very helpful for the body if used in moderation, but like aspirin, can be extremely destructive when misused.

No, but I do believe that the more one is intoxicated, the more brain cells that are destroyed.

17. standingfirminChrist

It has been proven that moderate drinking kills brain cells.

Moderate use of sugar, aspirin, etc. does not kill brain cells.

Nice try.

18. standingfirminChrist

Quote:
    Originally Posted by standingfirminChrist
    Just how much do you think one has to drink before it reaches the brain?

Like all things we intake, whether they be the sugar in a piece of fruit, the chemicals in aspirin, or the substances in a glass of wine, reach the brain.

Too much sugar, aspirin or wine will negatively affect the brain. Appropriate use of these things is required.

Quote:
    The first drink enters the blood stream.
    Not directly, unless you are injecting it directly into the bloodstream. The digestive system processes everything we eat so that it can be used appropriately. If a person is eating, or has recently eaten, before their alcoholic drink, alcohol is released into the bloodstream at a much lower rate than on an empty stomach. At low levels (levels below drunkeness), alcohol in the blood has positive benefits for the body and nervous system. Drunkeness indicates that someone has had too much to drink and it is negatively affecting (toxic to) their body. (That's why we call it intoxication!)

Doctors reports will prove you wrong. The ingredient in wine that is beneficial can be found in the grape and grape juice before it is processed by man to an alcoholic state.

The alcohol is toxic to the human body,
    We are supposed to be faithful stewards of that which God has entrusted us with. That includes the body. It is the temple of the Holy Spirit. It is sad that some think they can put the Holy Spirit and alcohol in the same temple.

19. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Source please. (From a reputable scientific source.)

You seem to think I'm trying to put something over on you. Not so! If you have evidence, I'm happy to examine it.

20. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Amen:thumbs: So who is challenging the King of glory? I thought who he is and what he has accomplished has already been settled in the mind of those who are truly his.