1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christain Tattoos?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Gib, Mar 25, 2005.

1. MargoWriter

MargoWriter New Member

Well, I'm not all about body piercing of any kind for men or women. And, yeah, the slave thing is true.

But, I believe that Abraham's servant gave a nose ring to Rebekah, didn't he? [​IMG]

2. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

You'll be mighty cute when you are a little old lady in the WMU with a saggin' wrinked tattoo on your ankle (or wherever).

Girl you are so pretty, dont mess yourself up!

3. Gottit

Gottit Guest

Hi, Doesn't show when? And what is the purpose of having one if you aren't ever gonna show it?

The co-relation with the tattoo and the present worship of the physical body seem to fit under the guise of Leviticus 19, that is why all tattoos are strategically placed, to draw attention to that particular part of the physical body/ sowing to the flesh, it could be called. Then you have that association with the person who runs the tattoo parlor: some one less desirable in most societies.

I'm not being critical, just trying to get others to think.

Tattoos are out as far as my family is concerned, as far back as I know, no one, all the way back to my great-grandparents had none. And since we are the spiritual Israel, Leviticus 19 does apply to us, in relation to our bodies being the temple of God.

Just seems to me the mentality of God wearing a tattoo????? It just doesn't fit, unless you maintain the 60's "peace,love,and drugs" attitude. But then they did in that space of time declare God to be dead, too.

4. Gottit

Gottit Guest

You're confusing two totally different things there. When God "opens the ears" it is for understanding "what thus saith the LORD". The awl placed upon the earlobe for marking a "manservant" or a slave was totally different from the Spiritual aspect.

Opening the ears, or that "piercing", is the Truth breaking through that dullness of hearing, much like being "pricked in the heart", also the ears of understanding being opened/ pierced. Having nothing to do with physical ear-piercing.

5. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Can anyone define or describe a "Christian" tattoo?

6. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

I believe an example would be a cherub holding a 1611 KJV in one hand, and a double edged sword in the other. [​IMG]

7. Gib

Gib Active Member

Click Here This is the site that kicked of this whole conundrum.

8. Gib

Gib Active Member

Tattoo parlor is having a 2 for 1 special. Get 1 Lrg sun on the back of your arm. 30-40 years later it will move and to your elbow and turn into a cobweb.

9. Gottit

Gottit Guest

No, not any such a thing

10. Robert B

Robert B New Member

Yeah, a tattoo which expresses your faith in Jesus Christ.

God bless.

11. Robert B

Robert B New Member

gotit, please respond to my post where I said this:

"Moreover, those who cite leviticus 19:28 should also cite the verse right before it. Because it also says you must trim your hair and beard in a certain way. Am I being sinful when I shave my beard, or get a flat top haircut? Why do you cite this verse in leviticus when tattooing comes up, but fail to mention the verse before it when men shave and get hair-cuts? Those laws and codes were for the Jews."

Thanks,
    God bless.

12. richard n koustas

richard n koustas New Member

gottit:
    Maybe, but I did qualify it with "This seems to be..." [​IMG]

Then, who is 'speaking' in this Psalm? The One who says "mine
    ears hast thou opened" also says "Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book [it is] written of me..." Is this not one of the great Messianic Psalms???

13. Hoot

Hoot New Member

Joel 2:12-13 Therefore also now, saith the LORD, turn ye even to me with all your heart, and with fasting, and with weeping, and with mourning: And rend your heart, and not your garments, and turn unto the LORD your God: for he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repenteth him of the evil.

God is telling us here not to put emphasis upon outward appearances, but to get our heart right. If our heart is right with Him, then we don't need outward things to show it. His spirit and our own lives will witness in a far greater way than any kind of artificial body based billboard could. We tend to spend more time asking "why not?" than we do asking "what will you have me do, Lord?"

14. Gottit

Gottit Guest

Yeah, a tattoo which expresses your faith in Jesus Christ.

God bless.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Does that also mean I can make use of my graffiti talents on the side of your church?? Don't I have the right to express my faith in Christ at YOUR church that way?? :D

15. Gottit

Gottit Guest

Maybe, but I did qualify it with "This seems to be..." [​IMG]

Then, who is 'speaking' in this Psalm? The One who says "mine
    ears hast thou opened" also says "Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book [it is] written of me..." Is this not one of the great Messianic Psalms???
    </font>[/QUOTE]Aagain, two different meanings, the first being according to the humanity of Christ, the second being in regard to the Messiah as Christ exemplified throughout the O.T.

16. Gottit

Gottit Guest

In regard to outward appearance, one must learn to associate the appearance with certain people.

When I see some, especially the "Yahweh" crowd, who tend to appear as the O.T. defines in regard to Lev19, I sense a dedication, but when I see some who mark their bodies with tattoos, I am more likened to associate them with the less desirable charatcers.

May I use an old friend for example? Martin went to prison, supposedly saved while there, had Jesus on the Cross tattooed on his chest, "whole chest", then beside his left breast he has the "JoB" man tattooed. Now would I deny him his inalieble right to express his faith? No. But I can associate his tattoos with his character, especially since he is a now pothead, so you decide.

17. richard n koustas

gottit:

I don't think i understand your point. You said that the
    and then:
    It sounds like you're saying that Christ (in His humanity) had his ears openned or pierced by truth breaking through :confused: ????

18. Gottit

Gottit Guest

No, sir, you have read that into my post. I responded directly to the Scripture you provided. And I will thank you for not coupling two different posts together for your premise, but then that is the mentality expressd in the BaptistBoard as I am experiencing.

May God richly bless you in all wisdom

19. richard n koustas

gottit

OK i just read though all our posts about the ear piercing. i must have missed something. :confused:

you said:
    This is in reference to my reference to Psalm 40. correct? Is not Psalm 40 Messianic? I just do not understand how your definition fits the text. Please explain...

20. Robert B

Robert B New Member

Hi gotit, thanks for your reply to my posts.

You said:
    ME: I was responding to someone who asked what a Christian tattoo was, and I responded that it was something that expressed your faith in Christ. Your response was simply to compare it to Christian graffiti on a side of a church.

The difference, gotit, is that putting graffiti on the side of a church is clearly against the law. Tattoos are not forbidden by the Bible. And if you want to use the leviticus verse to justify your hatred of tattoos, then you also must say that flat-tops are also against God, because leviticus also forbids cutting your hair in that fashion!

See, you need to be consistent, and not pick and choose which verses you will use to justify your own opinions.

Thanks,
    God bless.