1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christain Tattoos?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Gib, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I tend to agree with this except how can we say someone is getting a tattoo in order to "fit in." That is judging someone's motive and I don't think we should do that. Maybe they just like tattoos!
    </font>[/QUOTE]I agree.

My exhortation would be for people to judge themselves and their motives before doing something that might appear worldly to the average observer.

2. FrankBetz

FrankBetz Guest

Hmmm? The "curse of the Law"?

I believe you have something wrong there, fellow, the is nothing about the Law that is a curse. Now there is the penalty for breaking the Law, which is death, that is done away, but it almost seems you're speaking evil of the law in saying it is a curse. Not advisable, the Law is only impefrect that one cannot be excused from it; that each and everyone has in some way transgressed the Law, and the "Law is not sin, God forbid"; that Jesus fulfilled every jot and tittle of the Law and did away with none of it.

Seems many "N.T" people would like to forget the O.T. Law, but only the ceremonial aspects are to be left behind. All the moral aspects are still in effect. Tattooes are too closely associated with immorality along with paganism in practice to be considered allowable under grace.

3. FrankBetz

FrankBetz Guest

I tend to agree with this except how can we say someone is getting a tattoo in order to "fit in." That is judging someone's motive and I don't think we should do that. Maybe they just like tattoos!
    </font>[/QUOTE]I agree.

My exhortation would be for people to judge themselves and their motives before doing something that might appear worldly to the average observer.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Nope. Too liberal.

One should learn what our Bible says and use righteous judgement in all matters and in practice of living/stewardship.

We've got to remember, there is a world out there that knows more about how a Christian should live than most Christians.

And that Scripture comes to mind, "My people perish due to a lack of knowledge".

4. JustinWindsor

JustinWindsor New Member

This is the only thing I want to find out from you: did you receive the Spirit by the works of the Law, or by hearing with faith? Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh? Gal 3:2,3

For as many as are of the works of the Law are under a curse; for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who does not abide by all things written in the book of the Law, to perform them". Now that no one is justified by the Law before God is evident: for, 'The righteous man shall live by faith.'

However, the Law is not of faith; on the contrary, "He who practices them shall live by them." Gal 3:10-12

NOW HERE IT IS...

Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, having become a curse for us - for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree" - in order that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we would receive the promise of the Spirit through faith. Gal 3:13,14

MY COMMENT: It never ceases to amaze me how people can claim to have faith in Christ yet still somehow think they are somehow beholden to keep any part of the Mosaic Law. We are saved under the ministry of the New Covenant in Christ's blood. The entire letter to the Hebrews and this chapter three of Galatians along with the book of Romans should make that evident to us all.

May God bless you in His Grace.

5. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    </font>[/QUOTE]I agree.

</font>[/QUOTE]Nope. Too liberal.</font>[/QUOTE]
    Chapter and verse please. As many have said, the ceremonial laws either apply strictly in total or they apply in principle.

It is certainly not liberal to apply them in principle as I have done. The pagans of that day are roughly equivalent to the trend/fad leaders of our day. The principle applies to tattoos... ear rings... baggy gangsta pants or the stupid looking way some kids were a baseball cap.

When one decides to adopt an appearance that makes them look like the world, they should immediately ask themselves why they are doing it.

That is a biblical... not liberal approach.

One should... but they don't need you or me to do it for them. God will hold them accountable for how they respond to biblical principles... and will hold us accountable if we try to become judaizers and force our application of biblical principle on others.

I am not talking about direct declarations about morality but rather things like appearance that clearly have some cultural links.

They also are all too ready to be offended by legalists that make up lists of "do's" and "don't do's" that they don't have a clear scriptural mandate for. They expect Christians to either be hypocrites, worldly, or else legalistic and will equally reject all three.

Galatians 5
    1Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. (the context is the law)
    2Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing.
    3For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law.
    4Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.
    5For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.
    6For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.

Also:
    Galatians 2
    11But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed.
    12For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision.

The same law that covers tattoos, covers Jews being defiled with Gentiles and associating with the uncircumcised. Paul said Peter was to be blamed for separating from the uncircumcised Christians.

6. gingerfairway

gingerfairway New Member

Although I want a tattoo badly My husband, my mother, and my best friend have all pointed out leviticus to me. They have pointed out that there would be no difference between me and someone I would be leading to christ, What would be setting me apart. If this is one of God's laws then I have the discernment to follow it. I will not get a tattoo. But i still think about it often.

7. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Is branding next in the church?
    There ARE folks out there who do that, ya' know.
    Is that just a cultural thing to?
    C'mon!

In HIS service;
    Jim

8. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

http://www.ablazable.com/laws/missouri.html

Don't think it won't happen. The very fact that laws are being passed to regulate it demonstrates it IS happening.

Just how far into the worlds ways are you willing to go?

I have decided
    To follow Jesus
    I have decided
    To follow Jesus
    I have decided
    To follow Jesus

No turning back
    No turning back

In HIS service;
    Jim

9. gingerfairway

gingerfairway New Member

Leviticus 19:28 "Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the Lord." These were done by the pagans. So I think we have to distinguish ourselves apart from those that do have tattoos. It would have been different if I had a tatttoo then became a christian, but because I am already a christian, then what would that say to my daughter, to whom that I say don't get a tattoo, don't defile your body? i would be making it right for her to do it. Well it is something that I had wanted, and greatly considered, but god has spoken to me through those around me, especially my husband. He is sooo sweet. He understands why I want one, but he always comes back to our daughter and what the Word of God says. ;0)