1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christian Atheism

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Protestant, Oct 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Protestant

Protestant Well-Known Member

Atheists and Christian Atheists have much in common.

Both abhor the ever-recurring biblical truth that God “works all things according to the counsel and good pleasure of His own will.”

Neither group will have a God who interferes in their freedom of choice.

Both zealously maintain that their choices are absolutely divorced from the eternal decrees of a sovereign, omnipotent, all-wise God.

Whether their destiny on Earth, or their eternal destiny in Heaven or Hell, the Atheist and Christian Atheist repudiate the idea of a God who controls all aspects of their birth, life, death and afterlife, let alone their decision to choose for or against Jesus Christ.

To compare their similarities I paste below a sampling of comments which respond to the question of Free Will.

What is the Role of Free Will to an Atheist?
    (Source: http://old.richarddawkins.net/articles/2018-what-is-the-role-of-free-will-to-an-atheist; pgs. 1 & 2)

“No ‘God’ to pull our strings...last I checked, I am no puppet being. (comment by ‘Reverend Never’)

“ [T]hough there is no single unifying belief amongst atheists, there is one thing they don’t believe in...a divine creature who has decided everything that will happen.” (comment by ‘the ultimate samurai’)

“The term, 'free will', in the philosophy/religious term means, ‘The ability of determining one's fate without the intervention of god’. The term 'free will' to me implies a creator because if there were no god, what else would we have but free will? Hence, the role of 'free will' to an atheist is absolute. No divine intervention or interruptions in the path one chooses for themselves.” (comment by ‘chance’)

What is the Role of Free Will to a Christian Atheist?
    [My editorial comments are in blue.]

“[T]the eternal decree decided not which choice the man should make but that he should be free to make it. [i.e., man’s choices are free from God’s interference because it is more important that man retain sovereignty over His God.]

"If in His absolute freedom God has willed to give man limited freedom, who is there to stay His hand or say, 'What doest thou?' Man’s will is free because God is sovereign.[i.e., black is now white and white is now black because words no longer have their intended meaning. ‘Sovereign’ now means being in subjection to man.]

"A God less than sovereign could not bestow moral freedom upon His creatures. He would be afraid to do so.” [i.e., God shows great courage in allowing man to overrule the Almighty.] - A.W. Tozer, The Knowledge of the Holy: The Attributes of God. (posted by a well-meaning BB member)

“Non-Cals believe that God loves all men and desires all men to be saved, but he does not compel anyone to be saved. [i.e., God does not intervene in man’s decision making, though it has eternal consequences.]

"God does not regenerate a person and make them irresistibly willing, [i.e., by taking away man’s free will] but he lovingly persuades men to be saved. [i.e., He does not destroy man’s free will]

"But the man makes his own choice [using his free will].

"If a man does [freely] choose Jesus and place their [sic] trust in him, at this point God regenerates that person and makes them [sic] born again.” (a well-meaning BB member)

“Non-Cals believe God has determined who shall be saved and lost just like Calvinists, only we believe God determined to give men free will choice.” (a well-meaning BB member)

“I make the case that God ‘sovereignly chose’ the free will system of ‘whosoever will.’"(a well-meaning BB member who agrees with Tozer)

What is the Role of Free Will to a Bible-believing Christian?

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth [in my life] as it is in Heaven.

Apart from Christ we can do nothing. (John 15:5)

For it is God who worketh in us, both to will and to do of His good pleasure. (Phil. 2:13)

Thy people shall be willing in the day of thy power. (Psalm 110:3a)

But now having been set free from sin, and having become slaves of God, you have your fruit to holiness, and the end, everlasting life. (Romans 6:22 NKJV)

Signed,
    A willing Slave of God and Jesus Christ

• Like Like x 1
  2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd thought by now you'd have run out of straw.

3. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    When P.Z Meyers (Atheist) and Provine (Atheist) discuss the impact of atheism (as they were both raised in Christian homes) -- they immediately respond that once they figured out that evolutionism is true -and thus atheism is true - they immediately conclude that they have "no free will".

They argue that their thinking is "programmed" by basic chemistry and environment - and that they are not exercising free will at all - just responding to the programming given to them as the result of evolution.

in Christ,

Bob

4. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

5. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am closing this tar baby, right now.

Do not introduce a thread which calls into question the salvation of the other side of the debate. Remember John Wesley and George Witfield didn't question the other's salvation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.