1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christian Bible College

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Martin, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christian Bible College is located in Rocky Mount, North Carolina. The school offers degrees ranging from associate to doctor of philosophy. All of the degrees from this school are earned via distance learning. The tuition is not bad. Better yet, some famous preachers have graduated from this school. The school is also accredited.

Sounds great, does it not?

Well, thats the problem. It sounds great. However it is not so great when one looks at Christian Bible College in Rocky Mount a bit closer.

It is true that the degrees are earned through distance learning. However the school does not have a campus with professors and classrooms. You can't visit their campus. This, in my opinion, usually hurts the credibility of the school.

It is hard for me to believe that a person can earn a real PhD through distance learning with no on-campus requirements. The school does not have an academic library and I seriously doubt many of their students live in towns where the public library could be used for serious academic study. So how can a student complete a true dissertation? I just don't see how it can be done. Also, without on-campus time how can the student defend his/her dissertation? And without a library where will the dissertations be kept? How can scholars (etc) read these dissertations? In other words, it just does not seem possible that this school offers real PhDs. By real, I mean the kind that could prepare a person to teach theology (etc) at a major seminary or university. All true PhDs will do that but I seriously doubt CBC's PhD does.

The school's tution is not that bad. However their accreditation is, at best, questionable. AAATI is based in Rocky Mount and it is my understanding that the President of CBC also runs AAATI. Conflict of interest? I would say so. Also, AAATI is not recognized as an accrediting agency and is often labeled an accreditation mill.

The school's "famous" graduate is Jack Van Impe who has recently been promoting his new dvd: "December 21, 2012: History's Final Day". The promoting of this video has been done in such a way as to suggest that the end of current history could very well occur on 12/21/12. On my blog I have linked to a clip of Mr. Impe promoting his video. Check it out for yourself. I don't ask you to take my word for it. In other words, Mr Impe is not a very helpful academic source.

So, why should a person attend Christian Bible College?

Why should a person spend their hard earned money and time working for a degree from a school like CBC?

Personally I can only think of two reasons:

1. The person has been fooled by advertising. In this situation the person's ignorance of higher learning has caused them to be fooled by CBC's claims of accreditation (etc).

2. The person just wants an easy degree.

I don't think anyone who knows what they are doing and who wants a real degree, even though it will be more difficult and expensive, would sign up for courses from CBC.

Christian Bible College