1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christian Cinema, entertainment and game reviews

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by increase, Apr 23, 2004.

1. increase

increase New Member

2. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Here's another one. He includes things like this:
    Lyrics of the Week
    Top 5 songs on MTV

If you are going to understand your children and the pressure they are under, it is crucial that you know what MTV is feeding them.

http://www.almenconi.com/

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Just a question Dianne ... if you are a Christian (not you particularly), why is MTV feeding your children anything? Why are they even exposed to MTV?

Many parents have totally abdicated their parental role. They have no idea what is going on in their children's lives. Children are left to the TV to babysit. There are a ton of pressures on today's kids. Even church going parents don't monitor their children's activities enough.

4. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

We don't watch MTV Larry! BUT, that's one story off that particular website AND this is the Youth forum. Many youth DO listen to the radio and watch MTV.

I have TVGuardian and we have blocked those channels off our satellite. [​IMG]

Our kids are 32, 28, 27 and 9. Only the 27 year old and 9 year old live with us. Our 28 year old daughter is married to a D.J.

Entertainment News
    Posted on April 20, 2004

Johnny Cash was one of the most influential contemporary country artists. He also loved Jesus and struggled with addiction to drugs. Dave Urbanksi’s new book, The Man Comes Around, reviewed by Dave Hart, gives you insight on a man who had fans in country, pop, rock-n-roll, contemporary Christian music, and even punk and rap.

ALSO:

Last week when Annie asked what she should do with her secular albums she no longer listened to, Teresa was extremely disappointed with my response. I normally wouldn’t post my response, but I want to make certain that you understand our position on secular music. I welcome your response.

Should Christians throw out their secular albums?

Is 'Quake' more violent than Christian history?

Are you praying for Eminem?

Is it true that Evanesence has satanic chants in some of their music?

Is contemporary Christian music diluting the truth?

5. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I wasn't referring to you specifically, but rather to Christian parents in general .. that is why I said, "not you particularly" ... ;)

Johnny Cash gave no evidence of salvation that I know of. I think many of these "Christian" musicians need to be looked at a little harder ... MC Hammer gave praise to Jesus Christ for some of his albums. I think we give too much slack to people whose life shows no fruit.

Not necessarily. I am actually way more tolerant of secular music that Christian. Secular music is supposed to be secular. Christian music is not ... too often it is. SEcular music can certainly be bad for a believer ... It can create attitudes and thoughts that are sinful ...

Don't know what Quake is ...

I don't even think about Eminem ...

I have no idea since I don't know who Evanescence is ... I must be an old fogey ... lol ...

In most cases, yes ... if not by words, then certainly by the inappropriateness of the style. There are a few CCM groups that have decent lyrics, but so much of it is cheesy, fluffy, and has a settimentality in wording and/or style that makes it more appropriate for the bedroom. There is a wrong way to say the right thing. I think many have crossed that line. We need to be more discerning.

6. shane usry

shane usry New Member

MTV is not allowed in my house! Along with alot of other programs. Another reason I do allow some CCM music in my house.! Personally, I like some CCM music, I also like older hymns. My favorite song of all time is "How Great Thou Art". I cannot sing this song without getting choked up. No other song affects me in this way, CCM or our Hymnal.

My experience with my own kids: Take away a negative influence. You have to replace with a positive! If you don't...what do you have? Empty hands! We all know what Mom said about Empty Hands...and she was very correct! (As Usual!)

7. lindz

lindz New Member

Okay-

1)MTV- not allowed in the house (mom and pop are against it and so am I!!!!!)
    2)I used to like CCM and realized that it was for me then got not vice versa!
    3)I do sometimes pray for celebrities!

8. Iamfree63

Iamfree63 New Member

You are so right about needing an alternative. However, just saying now you have to listen to Christian CD's wont work by itself plus you'll go broke buying them all. Sky Angel Christian satellite is a PERFECT alternative or a PERFECT complement, if you don't remove the secular programming.

With TVU and Spirit Christian music video channels, now there's music for the youth and the adult in the home.

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I thought I would post this link here as a resource for parents, pastors, and older teens. [​IMG]

It's a site run by a Christian. He reviews boths secular and Christian artists from a Christain viewpoint, looking at the lyrics in particular. Go to

Wise Men Promotions

When you get to this main screen, hit "Music Review" on the menu at left. That will bring up a screen where you can choose Christian Musics Reviews or Secular Music Reviews.

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Evanescence? I like Evanessence. Satanic Chants? What's a satanic chant? Something that sounds like a chant that someone doesn't like? Big difference.

11. onestand

onestand New Member

CCM is a wonderful resource for teens or anyone who choose an alternative to secular music. The majority of CCM is full of healthy, biblical truths for the believer. A song which has captured my heart and soul this past week is by DC Talk....Red Letters, I cannot play this song without the Holy Spirit speaking to me.