1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christian Classics

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by shodan, Sep 25, 2010.

1. shodan

shodan Member
    Site Supporter

List a few you have read and anything that stands out about something you've read.

C.S. Lewis on Reading:

"It is a good rule, after reading a new book, never allow yourself another new one till you have read an old one in between.

"I myself am a writer, I do not wish the ordinary reader to read no modern books. But if he must read only the new or only the old, I would advise him to read the old....A new book is still on its trial...It has to be tested against the great body of Christian thought down the ages...

"The only safety is to have a standard of plain, central Christianity which puts the controversies of the moment in proper perspective. Such a standard can be acquired only from old books.

"The only palliative is to keep the clean sea breeze of the centuries blowing through our minds..."

2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A book I read at the right time for me was, THE CHRISTIAN'S SECRET OF A HAPPY LIFE by Hannah Whitall Smith.

There are other books I have found very helpful.

The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence
    The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer
    Faith in Conflict by Carlyle Marney
    A Shepherd Looks at the 23rd Psalm by W. Phillip Keller

A number of books by C.S. Lewis.

Just to name a few.

3. shodan

shodan Member
    Site Supporter

classics

I've read both, The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence
    The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer....two of my favorites.

"The Cost..." is one of those rare books that I think all Christians should read. It speaks clearly to the spirit of the times.

St Athanasius, On the Incarnation, is another in my top 10, and certainly a great meditation for the soon coming Christmas season.