1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christian Debate - Oxymoron?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by timothy 1769, Mar 1, 2004.

1. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

Gal 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
    Gal 5:20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
    Gal 5:21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Rom 1:29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
    Rom 1:30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
    Rom 1:31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
    Rom 1:32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

2Ti 2:14 Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers.

Phi 2:3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.

Jam 3:14 But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth.

Jam 3:16 For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work.

1Co 3:3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?

Rom 13:13 Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying.

Pro 20:3 It is an honour for a man to cease from strife: but every fool will be meddling.

----

Should Christians debate, or argue? If so, what are the limits? How should it be done?

2. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

My daughter and I have been working through Romans, and we took a break to do a topical study on "strife". I was suprised to find it in lists with adultery and murder, and in fact Paul says:

"of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God."

:eek:

I personally have massively undervalued the importance of avoiding strife and haven't realized the extreme seriousness of this sin. Hopefully this topic will open a few eyes, and I pray we will all think about Paul's words above before getting into yet another routine argument with the family.

[ March 01, 2004, 01:28 AM: Message edited by: timothy 1769 ]

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Amen. We must be VERY careful when discussing issues. Discussion is a part of learning, but when it turns to contention it becomes sin. This conviction has pulled out of several threads here on the BB.

We must however delineate between discussion and contentious debate. It is the heart behind it. When I find myself becoming angry during a discussion it is time to change the subject or leave the "debate."

4. Bartholomew

Bartholomew New Member

Hi Timothy - I have been thinking about this exact same thing in the last few days. Some more examples:

2 Tim 2
    23 But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes.
    24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive;
    but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,
    25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;

And:

Titus 3
    9 But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain.
    10 A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject;

I was talking to a (Christian) friend of mine about some of these verses, and he suggested that they mean we aren't to debate with other Christians - simply to tell them the truth from the Bible. If they ask questions, answer them; but if they refuse to believe the truth, then just leave them alone. Hoy do YOU think we should handle discussion of different ideas/doctrines???

5. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

How can we, this side of heaven, avoid strife in the sense of disagreement? Are we going to elect a pope who will decide all disagreements infallibly?

It is humanly impossible to avoid all disagreement, and our only choice is to learn to deal with our disagreements in a fashion that is better than the ways of the flesh.

Paul gave us some hints along that line as he discussed how we ought to deal with a brother who disagrees with us over whether or not to eat meat that had been sacrificed to idols.

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

It goes back to what is going on in our hearts. If a Bible discussion is resulting in mutual edification and learning, staying Bible based, then that is a valid learning tool.

When I judge my brother, instead of his argument, then I have gone to far.

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dear Bro Timothy1769,

To me and IMO, it's a very simple formula, if the results of the "debate" are the all-to-often insult, and innuendo followed by a vindictive put down, it is of the flesh and we are all of like passion.

If the results are edification, blessing and yes even a well received exhortation then it is of the Spirit.

I know its probably not kosher to mention names but by way of illustration, Archangel is almost always a source of edification for me and we have debated and disagreed concerning a number of items. He never ends his notes with a "na-na-na-na-na-na, my bible's better than yours" attitude.

That very attitude (being a disobedience to the Scripture IMO) is what causes a mental block in the heart, mind and spirit of the one against whom it is launched, even if perchance the launcher had the very truth.

On the other hand, the Scripture encouragers those who are spiritual to admonish others when necessary.

Jesus our High Priest leading the way...

Revelation 3:19
    As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

HankD

8. Tim

Tim New Member

Paul rebuked Peter regarding his legalism. No, not to humiliate him, but to bring him back to the truth.

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Debate is a hallmark of learning and growing. I was captain of the debate team in my school (duh - you'd never have guessed it).

Can be divided up any way your rules allow:</font>
    • Agreement on terms</font>
    • Presentation of Positive</font>
    • Presentation of Negative</font>
    • Refutation of Positive</font>
    • Refutation of Negative</font>
    • Summary of Negative</font>
    • Summary of Positive</font>
    Sadly, on the BB we "debate" subjects and seldom can even come to an agreement on the definition of terms used.

Just look at the Versions Forum. Or the Calvinist-Arminian. When "blank faith" (not based in the Word) takes over, "logic" and "thinking skills" are no longer required! :rolleyes:

10. David Mark

David Mark New Member

Well said.

And

Well said.

[​IMG]

Dave